Question External drive with OS sx 2.2 limitations?

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by ulao, Oct 20, 2018.

1. ulao
    OP

ulao GBAtemp Regular

Jun 23, 2010
    United States
    I have a large retro rom collection I'd like to use with RetroNX from my external drive. I wanted to test out the new 2.2 external drive features but was wondering?

Can I use GPD or must I use MBR?
    Can I use MBR with 2 TB?
    Do I need a certain File allocation size?
    If I'm limited to 1TB, can I make 2 partition? If GPD is supported, can I make 3 partitions 1TB each?

The Reason I ask is that I can not make my 2TB drive MBR exfat to work but I have seen 1TB videos working with a 64 File allocation size. I'm just looking to for the limits here. Thx.

2. fille

fille GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2014
    Belgium
    somewhere
    2tb works as mbr,not gpd.
    formatted as exfat and used 512kb allocation.
    set your partition as primary.
    i used a usb3 ext hdd and connected it at the back of the dock.

Last edited by fille, Oct 20, 2018
  3. ulao
    OP

ulao GBAtemp Regular

Jun 23, 2010
    United States
    Wow my set up is 1:1 to yours, strange.

4. fille

fille GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2014
    Belgium
    somewhere
  5. ulao
    OP

ulao GBAtemp Regular

Jun 23, 2010
    United States
    II tried two partitions of 1tb but no luck. Strange thing though, the drive spins up on the computer but not the switch. I wonder if its a power issue? It does have the external adapter connected but maybe I need one of those usb splitters for more power.

Do you see any drives in the switch device manager? I only show my SD card and the internal I wonder if its a switch issue or os sx.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

AHHH, crap!

I blew my usb ports by connecting a 3,0 hub with a rogue power supply, lucky me I had two docks to test that. I was wondering why it was not spinning up. So looks like its good to go. thx for the help, way user stupidity.

6. Espen84

Espen84 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2018
    Norway
    some one know if you are limited to one hdd of 2TB, or can i plug in two hdd of 2 tb??

7. evilone

evilone GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2017
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Whats happend to the HDD if you connect it on the Backside of the Dock if you put your Switch in Standby, will it be Shutdown or stay awake?

8. ulao
    OP

ulao GBAtemp Regular

Jun 23, 2010
    United States
    Well learned a bit.

1) 1 Tb is ok 2Tb will not work.
    2) Making two Partitions of TB each does not work. Only one is seen.
    3) If you have say 100 files each time you go to the list of games it has to index them and takes a long while.

Anyone know if this 3 thing is needed, why can't they index them?

Last edited by ulao, Oct 21, 2018
  9. evilone

evilone GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2017
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dont worry, im pretty sure this is something what will happen.

Its currently only a BETA its to test, to find problems which has to be fixed. 2TB works aswell, its only a problem of the compatibility.

10. Espen84

Espen84 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2018
    Norway
    I used a 2 TB hard drive, and the nsp showd up. It was not full. But still what was on it did show...

11. Espen84

Espen84 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2018
    Norway
    And to answer my own questions, no you can't have two hdd connected. It will only recognize one

12. yusuo

yusuo Jam Master Jay

Oct 19, 2006
    United States
    Here's what I did with my 1tb external.

Use diskpart in Windows to create a new mbr partition.
    Format in exfat
    Copy games to root of external
    Profit

13. PC_Arcade

PC_Arcade Member

Newcomer
    Nov 2, 2008
    United States
    I've got a full 2tb drive attached with no issues, all the roms seem to be there :)

14. Flare-be

Flare-be Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2017
    Belgium
    Do you still need your SD card to be formatted FAT32 to play roms through emulation or does it suffice if the external HD is FAT32? Would be great if I can keep my SD card in ExFAT without getting corruption :)

15. Espen84

Espen84 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2018
    Norway
    Roms? I only played snes roms on my switch, from sd card. And I always been on exfat.

16. ulao
    OP

ulao GBAtemp Regular

Jun 23, 2010
    United States
    NSPs are strange. Some, after installed, I get "You must the the software in order to play". Others will say an update is required but since the console is blocked I get the blocked error ( I thought it was ok to update, maybe that does not included eshope games). Also they take forever to install (could be my drive).

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

"Do you still need your SD card to be formatted FAT32 to play roms through emulation or does it suffice if the external HD is FAT32?"
    The RetroNX team is working on a solution, at this time you can not use the HD.