Extending WBFS Partition?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by S.Bear, Apr 29, 2009.

Apr 29, 2009

Extending WBFS Partition? by S.Bear at 12:43 AM (4,988 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. S.Bear
    OP

Newcomer S.Bear Member

United Kingdom
    1. Is it possible to extend a WBFS partition on an HDD in order to make space for more games?

2. If so, will using the tools in Windows Disk Management to extend the partition into any unallocated space you might have format said space to WBFS or will it alter both partitions thus rendering you
    unable to play or access your games as the partition would need to be reformatted again?

3. If you cannot use the normal tools in windows is there perhaps a program that you can download that will do the job instead?

4. If you cannot extend the WBFS partition and do not want to extract, format and copy all your games over again, is there perhaps a way to create a second WBFS partition on your HDD and be able to
    swap between them using the USB Loader?

Thanks to anyone who can shed light on the subject.

~P~

2. AllWiidUp

Newcomer AllWiidUp Advanced Member

Canada
    1. No
    2. you'd have to reformat and re-install the games
    3. No.
    4. I don't think so.

3. wiiman123

Member wiiman123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand

4. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    Depending on the loader, you can or cannot, CFG let you choose, dunno the others...!!

5. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    I smell advertising!! [​IMG] I doubt it can extend the partition without destroying WBFS in the process.

6. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    i would suggest switching to ntfs. With that you won't have these problems in the future anymore.

7. the real SUX2BU

Newcomer the real SUX2BU Member

United States
    You mean FAT? I use WBFS cause it uses ALOT less space than FAT. You can use two separate WBFS partitions with Configurable that's what i use on the 2 TB hard drives i set up. That way it can hold up to about 1,000 games.

8. Slowking

Germany
    No I meant NTFS. And afaik WBFS is actually less efficient than NTFS and uses more space.
    You know you can trim games with Wii Scrubber, right?

9. Wiimm

Member Wiimm Developer

Germany
    ... and lost the original signature. Are there any advantages when using trimmed WBFS files?

10. smf

Member smf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    FAT32 is better than NTFS for the Wii still.
    Maybe if HBC supported it then it might be worth switching.

I can't be bothered with two partitions or a SD card.

11. marice

Member marice GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Why is Fat32 better then NTFS?

Since yesterday i use a NTFS drive (converted all my games on a wbfs partition to .wbfs files and put them on a NTFS partition).
    And all my 50 games that i could be bothered convert to the new drive work [​IMG] (through usbloader cfg 58a-wiinertag edition, cios rev 19, also no problems using hermes 222 v4)

12. thesund0g

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    Plenty of homebrew apps have either flaky/unreliable or no NTFS support. Of course the ISO games will work.

13. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    You can use both remember. FAT32 for homebrew and NTFS for game.

Also, FAT32 was never designed to handle big disk drive and files. So it will be better to use NTFS.

14. thesund0g

Antarctica
    True, but if your FAT32 partition is 90% ISOs, the filesystem overhead will be negligible. Not very many wasted clusters.

15. Slowking

Germany
    you don't lose the original signature. Only partitions are signed in Wii games. What Wii scrubber and wbfs manager usually do is overwriting unsigned garbadge data with zeros, so the game can be compressed. The only thing the trim mode does differently is that it deletes the garbadge data instead of replacing it with zeros.

16. Slowking

Germany
    Still what keeps you from using a small FAT32 partition for homebrew and a big NTFS one for games?
    With tools like Partition Magic you can resize them anytime.

17. thesund0g

Antarctica
    You sure can, that's the setup I was using for a long time. The filesystem overhead/slack space problem of FAT32 is a lot more noticeable with lots of little files than with several big ones, so it'd be nice if it worked the other way around. You can split WBFS images, so the 4GB limit wouldn't be a problem at all if the loaders would implement splitting when ripping. I settled on a ~10GB NTFS partition just for that, the rest goes for FAT32 since I have other devices that use my external drive.

18. smf

Member smf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    trimming is different to scrubbing, it moves all the files and has to fake sign it.

19. Slowking

Germany
    If it doesn't have fakesign it obviously doesn't destroy the signature. [​IMG]
    Why would it move files? The only thing it does is delete the garbadge data. Offcourse that changes the offsets of the signed partitions, but that can be undone by filling the part that was garbadge with zeros again.
    I don't know if Wiiscrubber can do that yet, though. The gamecube trimmers could.

20. Wiimm

Member Wiimm Developer

Germany
    Please explain "deletes the garbadge data".
    Does it mean, that data behind the garbage is moved to an other position?

You can only move the whole partition without fake signing. But normally the data partitions starts at 0xf800000 and ends at ~ 0x1173c0000. There is only a little space for partition movements.

The data partitions contain holes (unused areas). Trimming means to delete this areas (move files behind holes) to reduce the partition size. And after changing a partition you have to fake sign it.