Extended power for NDSL?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by 3DPiper, Mar 28, 2010.

Mar 28, 2010

Extended power for NDSL? by 3DPiper at 8:19 PM (564 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. 3DPiper
    OP

Member 3DPiper GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Can anyone recommend an extended power solution for a NDSL..?

I have three kids who play all the time and I'd like them to be able to play longer without charging..

Is this an option?

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DS-Lite-Cha...3167&sr=8-1

Is there something better?

-Matthew

2. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Get something like that; just not that one because it has problems with being DOA.

3. 3DPiper
    OP

Member 3DPiper GBAtemp Fan

United States
    What about these larger mAh batteries, some say 1800 some say 2000...? Our batteries right now are 1000mAh...

Are they really that many mA?

Like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-DS-Lite-White...=item20b03062dc

are any of these worth it?

I could just stack two 1000mah batteries on top of each other and make a 2000mah one, at least then I know I'd really be getting 2000mah...

-Matthew

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Most of those high mAh batteries are knockoffs from shady Asian factories and while some may be able to live up to said claims it will be a "for the first 10 charges" kind of deal (rechargeable batteries are an odd thing and will become as complex as any other technological field).

"Stacking" batteries is entirely possible (I did if for some time and redo lots of other electronics to such an end all the time)- run them in parallel and the effective charge capacity will increase approximately likewise. So will the charge time though unless you rig up something fancy and you should also remember that batteries are quite heavy (take one out of your chosen electrical device if you want to see- mobile phones/cell phones are great for this) which is not so bad but for kids and extended play it does not help and perhaps more importantly where you decide to hang the battery can change how you grip the device and the moment it exerts on your arms (think holding a small book at arms length).

Those grips are odd and frankly if you are considering stacking batteries you can probably do better- those packs will (I have seen all manner of odd designs there)-
    Work-yes
    Would I buy one- only to use as a shell.

Similarly the DS takes 5V in which is USB voltage and while it might not do well for signals the resistance should still be low enough to make an extended lead viable. Aside from docking stations wireless power is not really any good for anything at this point in time.