Ext hard drive trouble

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by benbop1992, Sep 10, 2011.

Sep 10, 2011

Ext hard drive trouble by benbop1992 at 12:52 PM (435 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. benbop1992
    OP

Member benbop1992 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Hey guys.

I got a external hard drive, it used to be readable on my laptop, but now my laptop refuses to read it, but my PC does.

Is there any tools that may help, the lappy decects it, but doesent show it in my computer

2. kevan

Member kevan Imagination rules the world

Australia
    Use a different usb port on your laptop?

3. benbop1992
    OP

United Kingdom
    used all of them, not the ports, as i have a mouse and tablet in

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    There's a dirty fix involving deleting the USB drivers and the USB profiles associated with your external drive, resetting, and letting Windows install fresh, uncorrupted USB drivers. I used to use it to get USB mice to work on my laptop (since it would pretend that only one mouse would be allowed to work and all other USB mice I attempted were evil and it did not want).

I'm too lazy/tired to fish up the relevant google results regarding this method.

5. benbop1992
    OP

United Kingdom
    If you could find it, or tell me what direction to go in, i would be very happy

6. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    An easier way to do that would be to right click My Computer, go to Manage, go down to Device Manager which is located on the right side. Find your HDD name and right click it and select "Uninstall Drivers". Once that is done, restart your computer and unplug your HDD. Turn it on, once it's fully booted up then plug in your HDD and the drivers will install.