Hacking Exploit to get SDXC support on 4.1.0?

Stone-D

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
With AutoRCM enabled, the Switch will never boot normally by itself. Instead, it will enter RCM mode. You can't tell when this happens as the screen remains black. Power consumption in RCM mode is very high, and people wake up in the morning to a dead battery.

Just press the home button once before going to bed. If the screen doesn't turn on, there's something amiss.

crimpshrine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With AutoRCM enabled, the Switch will never boot normally by itself. Instead, it will enter RCM mode. You can't tell when this happens as the screen remains black. Power consumption in RCM mode is very high, and people wake up in the morning to a dead battery.

If the above scenario occurs, then is it simply fixed by plugging it into the the USB charger and after it charges, connect back to a computer and inject and your back to square one? Or is it being run down to a dead battery while in AutoRCM a really bad thing, and you want to avoid it at all costs?

Stone-D

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
If the above scenario occurs, then is it simply fixed by plugging it into the the USB charger and after it charges, connect back to a computer and inject and your back to square one?

Yep. You're looking at anywhere between 10-30 minutes, apparently. Hasn't happened to me yet so I can't say.

Or is it being run down to a dead battery while in AutoRCM a really bad thing, and you want to avoid it at all costs?

Based on my extensive experience with RC Drone batteries: LiPo batteries of any kind do not like getting drained. At best, the lifespan will be shortened somewhat. By how much, dunno. They might puff up a little due to gasses unable to escape. At worst, it'll burst into flames when you attempt to recharge it.

Better safe than sorry.

crimpshrine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Based on my extensive experience with RC Drone batteries: LiPo batteries of any kind do not like getting drained. At best, the lifespan will be shortened somewhat. By how much, dunno. They might puff up a little due to gasses unable to escape. At worst, it'll burst into flames when you attempt to recharge it.

Better safe than sorry.

Hmm OK thanks, will have to consider if this is ready for my kids then yet. Not sure I want to constantly check on their switches. I just confirmed on one of the units I just hacked, if I hold the power button down till it passes the sleep prompt (when in CFW) then powers off, a short while later it does turn itself back on (into RCM mode) with the black screen.

I also noticed that if I then re-inject and at the hekate menu hard power it off (hold power button down for around 15 seconds) it stays off and does not power itself back on into RCM mode. (if I disconnect USB cable and plug back in, it does power on into RCM mode)

Does that mean that some adjust might be able to be made at some point that when in CFW mode and the unit is powered off (not in sleep) that it does not automatically power back on into RCM mode?

Is there any way to tell (besides it is getting warm I assume after awhile) that the unit is powered on in RCM mode without being plugged in to a computer or another device?

Stone-D

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Does that mean that some adjust might be able to be made at some point that when in CFW mode and the unit is powered off (not in sleep) that it does not automatically power back on into RCM mode?

Maybe? Don't hold your breath though - Hekate's power off might not be graceful - not important as it is the only thing running, but when you're in a main OS of any kind (Horizon, Windows, Linux) any kind of sudden power loss can result in data corruption which is probably something the CFW developers want to avoid. FAT32 isn't particularly robust, and exFat most definitely isn't.

Is there any way to tell (besides it is getting warm I assume after awhile) that the unit is powered on in RCM mode without being plugged in to a computer or another device?

Not really. I have two, and I never turn mine off. That way a simple press of the home button will let me know that all is good in Switchtown.

D

Deleted User

When I bought the Switch it came with 4.1.0. Just had to use ChoiDuJour to install a 4.1.0 firmware with exfat support and voilá. RCM mode is not forced on you, there's a button to deactivate it before you proceed with the installation.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I bought the Switch it came with 4.1.0. Just had to use ChoiDuJour to install a 4.1.0 firmware with exfat support and voilá. RCM mode is not forced on you, there's a button to deactivate it before you proceed with the installation.
Its not forced on you no. But if you want to upgrade to 5.1 without burning efuses you HAVE to use AutoRCM

TunaKetchup

The Goose is Loose
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Thank you aos10. So the best way to do this is for me to get octopath to get the 5.0.2 support.

Reploid, I thought 4.1 could allow for a softmod and 5.0 and up will need to be rebooted each time you want to launch custom firmware. Thats a pretty difference no?

No point in soft modding when Auto RCM exists

simba115

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Games have a 'Required System Firmware', which is the cause of it prompting you to update, and a "Master Key version" which dictates the lowest firmware on which the game can be decrypted.

Yes, I'm on 4.1.0 using SX OS 1.4 and Hollow Knight runs fine. As does Titan Quest (bugs and all), Salt & Sanctuary, and Dead Cells. However, the updates may not.

Check the attached pictures. I can't run the highlighted ones, which are updates, but everything else (138 other NSPs, including DLCs and updates) runs fine. I think. I haven't actually tried them all, but I have tried a lot.

EDIT: Note that you can't install these via SX OS. You have to use a recent build of Tinfoil.

Thanks for the info! This will come in handy. I recently got the Sx Os (I ordered it back in june but production delays I guess) I split my xci's over 4gig to be able to continue staying on 4.1 without exfat, but what happens with NSPs over 4 gig? How do they install? I tried to search but didn't see anyone posting about this.

Just update with ChoiDuJourNX method. That way you can downgrade later if you want to. Youll be forced to install autoCRM but no biggie ( if you're the only one who uses your switch) then you can play all the latest games and downgrade if you want to.

I am the only one for now yes, but only because I just got it. Eventually I am sure my kids will get their hands on it so for now I would rather not go with autoRCM

Stone-D

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I split my xci's over 4gig to be able to continue staying on 4.1 without exfat, but what happens with NSPs over 4 gig? How do they install? I tried to search but didn't see anyone posting about this.

No idea, as I injected exFat support on day 1. It's super simple, and I followed the original instructions (scroll half way down if you have already backed up your NAND; search for 2. Installing the exFAT Driver). It's apparently much easier using ChoiDuJourNX but I haven't tried that yet.

simba115

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No idea, as I injected exFat support on day 1. It's super simple, and I followed the original instructions (scroll half way down if you have already backed up your NAND; search for 2. Installing the exFAT Driver). It's apparently much easier using ChoiDuJourNX but I haven't tried that yet.

I didn't attempt this for one because it looked long and complicated and two because I thought I would then need to be on autoRCM all the time? Yes I could be wrong, I am asking the question.. I don't know much about switch hacking yet...

Stone-D

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Yeah it does look long, but if you look a bit closer the first half is about backing up your NAND (which most have already done), and the second half is about updating exFat. Look even closer, and each half has almost-identical instructions for PC and Android.

If all you're doing is adding exFat support, you don't need autoRCM active. AutoRCM is ONLY NEEDED if you are using ChoiDuJourNX to move to a higher major OS version (3-4, 4-5, etc) because without it that process will burn a fuse, meaning you cannot downgrade to the original OS again.

Attempting to go back to OS 4.1.0 will fail and cause a system panic.

D

Deleted User

Its not forced on you no. But if you want to upgrade to 5.1 without burning efuses you HAVE to use AutoRCM
You don't have to. If you don't activate it you just need to be careful not to boot the console normally.

simba115

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it does look long, but if you look a bit closer the first half is about backing up your NAND (which most have already done), and the second half is about updating exFat. Look even closer, and each half has almost-identical instructions for PC and Android.

If all you're doing is adding exFat support, you don't need autoRCM active. AutoRCM is ONLY NEEDED if you are using ChoiDuJourNX to move to a higher major OS version (3-4, 4-5, etc) because without it that process will burn a fuse, meaning you cannot downgrade to the original OS again.

Attempting to go back to OS 4.1.0 will fail and cause a system panic.

Ok thanks. Yes I just want to stay on 4.1 but with exfat support and not having to boot autorcm. So with both these methods the exfat support is permanent? Or if I boot into regular os it's gone? Also if I decide to one day update to 5.1 oficially will I have any issues?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My switch is on 4.1.0, never been updated.

Just bought a 200gb microsdxc card and put it in. It says that I need to update the firmware to get support for the microsdxc format!?

It makes no sense because my wife’s launch switch is also on 4.1.0 and reads the microsdxc cards just fine!? Why is it that it can but my 4.1.0 switch cannot?

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Any exploits/suggestions on how to get sdxc working?

Thank you in advance.
The MicroSDXC update is separate from normal system updates and only installed when you try to use an SDXC card, that's why it works for her (because she had already installed the MicroSDXC update while 4.1.0 was current)
There is a way to use MicroSDXC in CFW without installing the MicroSDXC update.
It involves putting the ExFAT .kip1 module on the SD card so it will be loaded by Hekate at runtime. That way, you don't have to jump through hoops to install the ExFAT update.
See method 2: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-the-exfat-driver-without-updating-2-x.505176/
I think this is the easiest way to do it (but will only work in CFW)

Any method other than updating through Ninty can result in getting flagged though, since the request is never sent to Nintendo's servers (they have to keep track of what consoles have the update since they have to pay licensing fees for each one)

Reactions: Stone-D

Stone-D

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Ok thanks. Yes I just want to stay on 4.1 but with exfat support and not having to boot autorcm. So with both these methods the exfat support is permanent? Or if I boot into regular os it's gone? Also if I decide to one day update to 5.1 oficially will I have any issues?

Yep, permanent.

Starting and stopping on 4.1.0 means you do NOT need AutoRCM, as the fuse count is the same for 4.0.0, 4.0.1, 4.1.0.

You won't have any issues moving up to 5.x.x at a later date. However, keep the fuse warning in mind - once that fuse is burnt, you cannot downgrade to anything lower than 5.0.0. This is what the AutoRCM protects you against.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Any method other than updating through Ninty can result in getting flagged though, since the request is never sent to Nintendo's servers (they have to keep track of what consoles have the update since they have to pay licensing fees for each one)

That's a very, very good point. I'd forgotten about that. @simba115 you should keep a note of this as well.

simba115

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the exfat update on a game cart? So if I take a phycal cart of kirby which is 4.1 and put it in my 4.1 switch, stay offline amd insert an exfat formatted sd card would it install the update? I have a feeling this would be too easy and someone would have brought it up already if it worked though...

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yep. You're looking at anywhere between 10-30 minutes, apparently. Hasn't happened to me yet so I can't say.

Better safe than sorry.
The Switch will power off before the battery gets drained enough to do damage. It's standard practice.
However, if you were to leave the Switch to self-discharge for a while after that happens, it could damage the battery. Also why you should recharge devices in storage every 6 months-1 year to avoid battery damage.

Just press the home button once before going to bed. If the screen doesn't turn on, there's something amiss.
I think you can tell by plugging in the SX Pro dongle (if you have one), if it lights up then the Switch is still on.
Is the exfat update on a game cart? So if I take a phycal cart of kirby which is 4.1 and put it in my 4.1 switch, stay offline amd insert an exfat formatted sd card would it install the update? I have a feeling this would be too easy and someone would have brought it up already if it worked though...
I believe it needs to be online to contact Nintendo's servers as they have to pay licensing fees for every console that has ExFAT support.
But yes the ExFAT update is on carts, hence why you can extract the .kip1 module from a game to use in CFW.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Stone-D

simba115

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Games have a 'Required System Firmware', which is the cause of it prompting you to update, and a "Master Key version" which dictates the lowest firmware on which the game can be decrypted.

Yes, I'm on 4.1.0 using SX OS 1.4 and Hollow Knight runs fine. As does Titan Quest (bugs and all), Salt & Sanctuary, and Dead Cells. However, the updates may not.

Check the attached pictures. I can't run the highlighted ones, which are updates, but everything else (138 other NSPs, including DLCs and updates) runs fine. I think. I haven't actually tried them all, but I have tried a lot.

EDIT: Note that you can't install these via SX OS. You have to use a recent build of Tinfoil.

Sorry to add to an old thread. Just wanted to tell you I installed those games usng tinfoil and they work great. I will use your list to see what else I can install on 4.1. Question.. Did you make up this list yourself with trial and error? Because its the only list I see with required system version and master key revisions! How do I check which games have which master keys? Even the other thread on gbatemp lists the games just with firmware requirements Also I am hesitant to try and update a game that you said might not work.. What would happen if I try to launch it?

Stone-D

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Question.. Did you make up this list yourself with trial and error? Because its the only list I see with required system version and master key revisions! How do I check which games have which master keys? Even the other thread on gbatemp lists the games just with firmware requirements

Switch Backup Manager!
https://github.com/gibaBR/Switch-Backup-Manager

Also I am hesitant to try and update a game that you said might not work.. What would happen if I try to launch it?
Not much. It'll either complain with an error or a prompt to update the system OS. I think. Ever since XCI Explorer / Switch Backup Manager showed up I don't ever try installing those anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1