Hacking Explanation about GBA injection save data?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, perhaps there is information about this but i wanted to share my experience here.

There was a guide here that had a GBA VC injection pc application that i used, I used it to try and inject Donkey Kong country GBA games 1-3 on the system. Now i used the program to do it and it worked with a problem.

Donkey kong 2 was the only one to use the save feature. while the other two did not.

So i looked for a guide that told me how to fix it. According to some Reddit post about this, i needed a GBAtool program. (I found it at Romhacking.net) it displays information about the roms. The save data was shown like this.

Donkey Kong Country = Rom Size 8GB Save EEPROM_122V
Donkey Kong Country 2 = Rom Size 8GB Save EEPROM_124V
Donkey Kong Country 3 = Rom Size 16GB Save EEPROM_124V

According to the guide, you need to use the patch function of the GBAtool on the rom to fix save data.

But when i saw it, here what it says "If the save is EEPROM_124V Then it should be fine. If it isn't you need to patch it so is fixed."

Of course for DKC2 & DKC3 It should be fine, but as i said already, when i installed and loaded DKC3 it didn't work. When i tried to save the game, the message "GAME NOT SAVED appeared" However DKC2 Worked as intended without any patches or alterations.

As i mentioned already that DKC didn't work, it made since cause it was 122 not 124 So i followed the instructions. "Use the patch function in GBATool, then use the RTF (whatever the extention is called) And change it from EEPROM to SRAM 128 then create file" And it worked. I did it to both DKC and DKC3. Now they both save successfully.

The problem was if it says that when is EEPROM_124V Then it should be fine. But both DKC2 and DKC3 are both the same but DKC3 Didn't work without patches.

So i dunno, if anyone can explain this to me, i'd like to know. While i am at it, why is GBA VC games different than The others? It has no suspend feature and it has no access to home menu like the others, and how do you format or delete the save data for them, i see no options in the settings for it. (I'll accept is not possible without homebrew for answer, so you don't need to tell me how, i just wanna know why)

For some reason pressing home during GBA games have the quit menu like NDS games, so Am i to believe that they are somehow related? it would make sense seeing how the Nintendo DS plays GBA games, so perhaps it is like that. It make sense that way. So is possible GBA roms has the old NDS lite emulation, NDS games have DSI emulation.

Little off topic but i was curious and hoped to get it answered as well. Has anyone else had trouble with the save data for GBA injections as well?

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So i dunno, if anyone can explain this to me, i'd like to know. While i am at it, why is GBA VC games different than The others? It has no suspend feature and it has no access to home menu like the others, and how do you format or delete the save data for them, i see no options in the settings for it. (I'll accept is not possible without homebrew for answer, so you don't need to tell me how, i just wanna know why)

For some reason pressing home during GBA games have the quit menu like NDS games, so Am i to believe that they are somehow related? it would make sense seeing how the Nintendo DS plays GBA games, so perhaps it is like that. It make sense that way. So is possible GBA roms has the old NDS lite emulation, NDS games have DSI emulation.

Little off topic but i was curious and hoped to get it answered as well. Has anyone else had trouble with the save data for GBA injections as well?
GBA Virtual Console games aren't emulated, they're run using backwards compatibility, similar to how the DS did it. The only thing that's emulated is the cartridges, and the X and Y buttons and Circle Pad being mapped. That's why putting the system in Sleep Mode or pressing Home doesn't pause anything. (In DSi mode, pressing Home emulates Sleep - very useful for 2DS players, dangerous for some old games that don't handle Sleep Mode properly in LAN games)

I don't know why Nintendo gave up on GBA games so fast. It should be very feasible to run at least some GBA games in pure software emulation on the New 3DS. And is TWL_FIRM so bad as to justify not selling stuff?

As for the save question? The only trouble I've had is in getting saves injected. Both with the old Python stuff and with Decrypt9.

Reactions: CatmanFan

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not exactly sure what python is but i never used it, also to be clear, I wasn't talking about Save data injection. I was talking about fixing rom to be able to save for CIA VC injection.

CatmanFan

Anxious and regretful
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Morocco
GBA Virtual Console games aren't emulated, they're run using backwards compatibility, similar to how the DS did it. The only thing that's emulated is the cartridges, and the X and Y buttons and Circle Pad being mapped. That's why putting the system in Sleep Mode or pressing Home doesn't pause anything. (In DSi mode, pressing Home emulates Sleep - very useful for 2DS players, dangerous for some old games that don't handle Sleep Mode properly in LAN games)

I don't know why Nintendo gave up on GBA games so fast. It should be very feasible to run at least some GBA games in pure software emulation on the New 3DS. And is TWL_FIRM so bad as to justify not selling stuff?

As for the save question? The only trouble I've had is in getting saves injected. Both with the old Python stuff and with Decrypt9.
AGB_FIRM hardware simulation can run any GBA game perfectly, and hardware emulation on the New 3DS (if there would be any such thing) might probably be the same thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ending to the fallout series was lame could've gave us a bit more