Hacking Expansion packs

sk3tch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gratefulbuddy said:
You do get better speed (lower random access time) from RPG + A-Data than RPG NAND. Check it out. But the Cyclo + A-Data is a little further down the rung than either of those.

Yes, but those differences are completely irrelevant (RPG + A-DATA versus CycloDS + A-DATA). The numbers are so close.

My point is that the NAND is useless for speed-purposes. As it is not that fast. You would get better write times...but those are not that important in Nintendo DS ROM playing.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sk3tch said:
gratefulbuddy said:
You do get better speed (lower random access time) from RPG + A-Data than RPG NAND. Check it out. But the Cyclo + A-Data is a little further down the rung than either of those.

Yes, but those differences are completely irrelevant (RPG + A-DATA versus CycloDS + A-DATA). The numbers are so close.

My point is that the NAND is useless for speed-purposes. As it is not that fast. You would get better write times...but those are not that important in Nintendo DS ROM playing.

Your point is moot. The NAND in the RPG is among the fastest (low random access time) memory options available to flashcart users.

On a side note: I would be willing to bet that write times to the NAND are slower than to the A-Data 4GB. And that is mostly irrelevant to DS ROM playing.

sk3tch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gratefulbuddy said:
Your point is moot. The NAND in the RPG is among the fastest (low random access time) memory options available to flashcart users.

On a side note: I would be willing to bet that write times to the NAND are slower than to the A-Data 4GB. And that is mostly irrelevant to DS ROM playing.

LOL! What are you basing that on? Made up B.S.?

Look at my post in the last page of this very thread. I did a test with my Acekard R.P.G, CycloDS, and my Kingston 2GB Japan and A-DATA 4GB Class 6.

The NAND is slower than the A-DATA! FACT.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sk3tch said:
gratefulbuddy said:

LOL! What are you basing that on? Made up B.S.?

Look at my post in the last page of this very thread. I did a test with my Acekard R.P.G, CycloDS, and my Kingston 2GB Japan and A-DATA 4GB Class 6.

The NAND is slower than the A-DATA! FACT.

I guess you missed my posts too:
gratefulbuddy said:
You do get better speed (lower random access time) from RPG + A-Data than RPG NAND.
QUOTE(gratefulbuddy @ May 13 2008, 01:10 PM)
The NAND in the RPG is among the fastest (low random access time) memory options available to flashcart users.

Also, I did the same tests that how I know. And to use your parlance: The difference in the speed between the RPG + A-Data and the RPG NAND is completely irrelevant. Look at how close those numbers are.

sk3tch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, whatever. Than I don't understand why you said my point is moot. My point is very sound.
smile.gif

The NAND in the Acekard R.P.G is slower than most popular microSD options (i.e. Kingston 2GB Japan and A-DATA 4GB Class 6). This is my point. I'm trying to dispel the myth that the NAND is some super fast storage solution. It's fast...but nothing remarkable.

trikon000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I would like to see is a .cht or some kind of cheat system that doesn't require patch a rom, kinda like how the gba exp loader patches the save state on load.

that would kill all 3in1 questions on cheating etc.

another thing would be great would be a way to access the RTC on the NDS for gba games that use RTC hardware. that would make patching pokemon almost obsolte.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sk3tch said:
OK, whatever. Than I don't understand why you said my point is moot. My point is very sound.
smile.gif

The NAND in the Acekard R.P.G is slower than most popular microSD options (i.e. Kingston 2GB Japan and A-DATA 4GB Class 6). This is my point. I'm trying to dispel the myth that the NAND is some super fast storage solution. It's fast...but nothing remarkable.

I said you point is moot, meaning "open to debate or discussion." You yourself have dispelled some speed differences as being too close to be important. In all my tests only the A-Data 4GB in the RPG and the MiJ Kingston 1GB in the AK2 were able to beat the NAND in the RPG in random access time. And that was by a tiny margin. But they are just numbers from a test. And the 512B random access time of a memory card is certainly not the only factor that comes in to play when talking about ROM playability.

sk3tch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gratefulbuddy said:
I said you point is moot, meaning "open to debate or discussion." You yourself have dispelled some speed differences as being too close to be important. In all my tests only the A-Data 4GB in the RPG and the MiJ Kingston 1GB in the AK2 were able to beat the NAND in the RPG in random access time. And that was by a tiny margin. But they are just numbers from a test. And the 512B random access time of a memory card is certainly not the only factor that comes in to play when talking about ROM playability.

Well, I'm not going to get into a huge debate about semantics.

I was arguing about .01 differences in RAT. You're arguing about .1 differences in RAT. There is much more significance to the latter when it comes to games. Either way, it doesn't matter. We're both making the same points, just in different ways.

I'm just tired of the R.P.G's NAND being touted as the greatest thing ever...when in reality you can replicate the speed of the R.P.G NAND in just about any card with a good microSD or microSDHC. I still love my R.P.G - but I just don't want anyone to be steered towards it for the NAND speed. It's a nice feature to have and it's fun to play with, but games-wise, etc. it doesn't add to much.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sk3tch said:
I was arguing about .01 differences in RAT. You're arguing about .1 differences in RAT. There is much more significance to the latter when it comes to games.My test results for the record:
RPG + AData= .43 RAT
RPG NAND = .45 RAT
Cyclo + AData = .56 RAT

As you can see, (like I said), the RPG + AData is very close to the performance of the RPGs NAND and the Cyclo + AData is a bit slower.

QUOTE(sk3tch @ May 13 2008, 01:43 PM) in reality you can replicate the speed of the R.P.G NAND in just about any card with a good microSD or microSDHC
This is where our opinions differ. In my tests only the RPG and AK2 were able to have a RAT less than .5 microseconds with any of the folowing: AData 4GB, Transcend 4GB, Patriot 4GB, PQI 4GB, MiJ Kingston 1GB and 2GB or the RPG's NAND. However, the cyclo seems to play lag-free on even the slowest card I tested so maybe these cf_bench results are not the definitive answer for the "which microsd is best?" questions.

HackNeyed

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm not going to get into the numbers again (I think that Google Doc still has some of the numbers I contributed way back when with my Kingston 2GB Japan).

All I know right now about the speed and performance is my latest real world conditions benchmark (and addiction)... Metroid Prime Pinball.

When I load up MPP on my CycloDS with either of my 2 Japan Kingston SD cards, the 2GB or the 4GB HC... the music plays smoothly and without flaw.
When I load up MPP on my RPG from its internal NAND... the music plays smoothly and without flaw.
When I load up MPP on my RPG with either of my 2 Japan Kingston SD cards, the 2GB or the 4GB HC... the music/menu/video all play choppy and if I have my 3n1 set to rumble then I get an error saying to reinsert the card before I even get past the menu.

Still, their both good cards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps