Homebrew Question Exfat to Fat32

ScottNBNP

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey guys just a quick and prob easy to answer question.

If I copy all my files from my current exfat formatted card and reformat it to Fat32 then copy everything back .Will everything work mainly just the games I've got installed, or will I need to reinstall everything.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: 0000ff

ScottNBNP

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You should be fine if non of the files currently on the card exceed the size limit of fat32, which is ~4GB.

Technically it shouldn't cause the games are already installed. But if I can't I could reinstall 1 or 2 as I kept the files lol.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically it shouldn't cause the games are already installed. But if I can't I could reinstall 1 or 2 as I kept the files lol.
well, i mean like if you install a 5+ GB game to the SDcard, idk how it is stored on the SD card, if its like a 5GB file with all the data, then your out of luck. but if its broken up into parts that are all smaller than 4gb, your fine.

Mysuke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So far i haven't encountered a game that couldn't be installed on FAT32 using splitNSP, the games seems to have files under the FAT32 limit once they are installed. I believe network and USB install works as well.

Cachuchin1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is I didn't keep the NSPs for.my games so I had the same question as OP I wanted to copy all files from SD to PC. Format SD as fat32. Copy files back from PC to SD and hope games are still there. But haven't proceed since I don't know if it will work lol

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did this and none of my games launched afterwords. They all still showed up but gave me an error when I tried to launch them. However that might be because I formatted to the wrong cluster size or something. I ended up reinstalling all my games.

ScottNBNP

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Awesome. I've got no NSP's just the installed games, so sounds like I'll be good to go. Then split further games.

Reactions: zacly

zacly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The problem is I didn't keep the NSPs for.my games so I had the same question as OP I wanted to copy all files from SD to PC. Format SD as fat32. Copy files back from PC to SD and hope games are still there. But haven't proceed since I don't know if it will work lol

It works. I have a 400GB sd and that's what I did. No issues.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Awesome. I've got no NSP's just the installed games, so sounds like I'll be good to go. Then split further games.

Exactly... just remember... 32kb cluster size!

SG911

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was also curious about this! Since i keep hearing that fat32 is way better, for pretty much everything including emulation & such. I have two XCI's tho which are BOTW & YS VIII that are like 14GB a piece. Then seeing this whole can't be 4gb over & such has me wondering.

wiewiec

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

If files are not bigger than 4GB everything will be fine. I did this with my new card from 64GB to 256GB - just copy files system will see games as installed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one