Excited for TOTK modding scene

je1992

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seeing as users are already creating cheats that are almost identical to BOTW, and playing the game myself for 10 hours (ish), it is clear that Nintendo didn't change a thing in the backend of this engine.
It's BOTW with a few new powers, added content, and a coat of paint on old content (No spoiler of course).

Add to the fact that the switch modding scene for BOTW only started a few years after release (explains why the Wii U scene was so much more advanced)

This means, that I'd assume amazing mods we all know and love will be on the game way earlier than during the BOTW lifecycle.

DEMONDICE

K-K-Kureiji
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing as users are already creating cheats that are almost identical to BOTW, and playing the game myself for 10 hours (ish), it is clear that Nintendo didn't change a thing in the backend of this engine.
It's BOTW with a few new powers, added content, and a coat of paint on old content (No spoiler of course).

Add to the fact that the switch modding scene for BOTW only started a few years after release (explains why the Wii U scene was so much more advanced)

This means, that I'd assume amazing mods we all know and love will be on the game way earlier than during the BOTW lifecycle.
No one can post anything publicly because Nintendo and Gamebanana will smite them off the face of the earth, but I've seen some discussion between a couple BotW modders and they're hopeful that things should go smoothly. We'll start seeing stuff release once the game does. Or on other lesser known sites that don't do DMCAs haha.

Citrus333

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wish we had a Wii U version so we could play TOTK as good as BOTW runs on CEMU. Switch emulators are just nowhere near how good the CEMU has gotten, also the Wii U being a more powerful console than Switch helps. Been playing BOTW in 5k 90fps and it's absolutely amazing, going to TOTK with 720p 30 fps going to be ROUGH.

Also what does Gamebanana have to do with getting rid of mods? Nintendo I understand but Gamebanana has no juristicion outside of it's website.

• Haha
Reactions: LeyendaV

Zurce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wish we had a Wii U version so we could play TOTK as good as BOTW runs on CEMU. Switch emulators are just nowhere near how good the CEMU has gotten, also the Wii U being a more powerful console than Switch helps. Been playing BOTW in 5k 90fps and it's absolutely amazing, going to TOTK with 720p 30 fps going to be ROUGH.

Also what does Gamebanana have to do with getting rid of mods? Nintendo I understand but Gamebanana has no juristicion outside of it's website.

Bold of you to think the game runs at 720p30, barely hits 20 sometimes haha

Reactions: Citrus333

Citrus333

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Incorrect. It's actually not more powerful than Switch, especially when there are games that run better on Switch than on the Wii U.
Incorrect. I can give you the spec sheet and tell you how the Wii U is more powerful than the Switch if you like?
Post automatically merged:

Actually here ya go:

The clock speed of the two processors are comparable, but clock speed isn't everything. The Switch, using a shared memory bus, has a consistent 25.6 gb/s bandwidth for both the CPU and GPU, and ram too apparently. The Wii U, on the other hand, is impossible to find info on the bandwidth for its CPU. Devs complained it was slow while some bloggers boasted about its theoretical superiority to the 360/PS3. The problem was it was using a PowerPC 7500 CL, an outdated type of CPU architecture that devs didn't want to work with. It only used 3 cores, and judging by how poorly it performed with some ports, I'd argue that its slower than the PS3/360.

The GPU in the two are another story, however. At the current bandwidth, the Switch's GPU would have to be clocked at 1,650 mhz to be on par with the GPU of the Wii U. That said, the Switch's GPU is more modern, allowing it to do things with less power than the one in the Wii U could.

The ram speed is another thing that really hit the Wii U. The Switch's ram speed is similar to that of a 360 or PS3, while the Wii U's ram was half that.

DEMONDICE

K-K-Kureiji
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They don't allow any mods for the game to be posted until release. They already deleted a few on the site. I was just saying not to expect to see any until the official release.

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Incorrect. I can give you the spec sheet and tell you how the Wii U is more powerful than the Switch if you like?

Actually here ya go:

The clock speed of the two processors are comparable, but clock speed isn't everything. The Switch, using a shared memory bus, has a consistent 25.6 gb/s bandwidth for both the CPU and GPU, and ram too apparently. The Wii U, on the other hand, is impossible to find info on the bandwidth for its CPU. Devs complained it was slow while some bloggers boasted about its theoretical superiority to the 360/PS3. The problem was it was using a PowerPC 7500 CL, an outdated type of CPU architecture that devs didn't want to work with. It only used 3 cores, and judging by how poorly it performed with some ports, I'd argue that its slower than the PS3/360.

The GPU in the two are another story, however. At the current bandwidth, the Switch's GPU would have to be clocked at 1,650 mhz to be on par with the GPU of the Wii U. That said, the Switch's GPU is more modern, allowing it to do things with less power than the one in the Wii U could.

The ram speed is another thing that really hit the Wii U. The Switch's ram speed is similar to that of a 360 or PS3, while the Wii U's ram was half that.
You really just copy and pasted from a reddit post and forgot the rest of the post:
The Switch, on the other hand, outperforms the 7th gen consoles and the Wii U in real world tests. It will very often render at a higher resolution than what the 7th gen and Wii U did. Sometimes it'll have some slow downs, especially when docked and running in 1080p (honestly I wish they gave us the option to keep it at 720p when docked), but generally its a better platform than the 7th gen and Wii U consoles.

Plus, it's a handheld. A handheld that can output its A/V signal to a TV and use wireless controllers, as many tablets can, but still a handheld. So it gets away with being less powerful than the PS4 and XBone.
Seems like that same Reddit post agrees that the Switch is more powerful than the Wii U.
And here's the spec sheet from said Reddit post:
Wii U specs:
  • CPU: PowerPC 7500 CL
    1.24 ghz
    'unknown IPC, most likely less than the Switch'
    3 cores
  • GPU: AMD Radeon "Latte"
    75 gb/s IPC
    550 mhz
    400 shaders
  • Ram: DDR3
    2 gb
    12.8 gb/s IPC
    'unknown clock speed' - DDR3 is usually 100 mhz - 266 mhz
Switch specs:
  • CPU: Tegra X1
    1.02 ghz
    25.6 gb/s IPC
    4 cores
  • GPU: Tegra X1
    25.6 gb/s IPC
    768 mhz
    256 shaders
  • Ram: LPDDR4
    4 GB
    25.6 gb/s IPC
    1600 mhz
Plus, I wouldn't completely take a Reddit post as "gospel" for getting the correct answers. Sure, the Wii U's GPU looks "stronger" and the Switch's looks "weaker", but the Switch has newer, better hardware architecture and designs that makes it so that the Switch can run Wii U titles that were ported to it way better and at higher resolutions than originally on the Wii U.

Some examples:
  • Zelda BOTW on Wii U ran up to 720p, but on Switch (docked), it can run go up to 900p.
  • Super Mario 3D World ran up to 720p, but on Switch (docked), it can run up to 1080p.
  • Mario Kart 8 on Wii U ran up to 720p, but on Switch (docked), it can run up to 1080p.
  • Hyrule Warriors on Wii U ran up to 720p (30fps), but on Switch (docked), it can run at 1080p (60fps).

Last edited by NyaakoXD,
Reactions: Lokan

Citrus333

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You really just copy and pasted from a reddit post and forgot the rest of the post:

Seems like that same Reddit post agrees that the Switch is more powerful than the Wii U.
And here's the spec sheet from said Reddit post:

Plus, I wouldn't completely take a Reddit post as "gospel" for getting the correct answers. Sure, the Wii U's GPU looks "stronger" and the Switch's looks "weaker", but the Switch has newer, better hardware architecture and designs that makes it so that the Switch can run Wii U titles that were ported to it way better and at higher resolutions than originally on the Wii U.

Some examples:
  • Zelda BOTW on Wii U ran up to 720p, but on Switch (docked), it can run go up to 900p.
  • Super Mario 3D World ran up to 720p, but on Switch (docked), it can run up to 1080p.
  • Mario Kart 8 on Wii U ran up to 720p, but on Switch (docked), it can run up to 1080p.
  • Hyrule Warriors on Wii U ran up to 720p (30fps), but on Switch (docked), it can run at 1080p (60fps).

Reddit posts are fine, when they're accurate. You could have searched and found out that the reddit post was accurate.

Yes, Switch can do higher resolutions. But like the reddit post said the Wii U has a stronger GPU so it can push higher and more stable framerates.
BOTW on Switch is an average of 25 FPS with drops has low as 15, Wii U version does not, it's a stable 30 the majority of the time. This is also why the CEMU BOTW runs infinitely better than Yuzu BOTW.

Switch has SOME things it can do better, but Nintendo had to make HUGE cuts to make it a mobile console.

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reddit posts are fine, when they're accurate. You could have searched and found out that the reddit post was accurate.
It's accurate to an extent, but it's not everything you think it may be.
Yes, Switch can do higher resolutions. But like the reddit post said the Wii U has a stronger GPU so it can push higher and more stable framerates.
There are plenty of instances where Wii U games ported actually already can run better and push higher and more stable fps on the Switch. Hyrule Warriors being one of the big examples of that where on the Wii U it can only do 720p at 30fps (with LOTS of frame drops), but on the Switch it can do 1080p at 60fps (with some frame drops, but not as heavy as Wii U). Bayonetta 1/2 runs better on Switch. The Wonderful 101 also runs significantly better on Switch. And there's plenty more comparisons to add.

Also, stop trying to imply that higher resolutions don't mean much when it actuality they do and with the Switch playing those games at higher resolutions and higher fps, already says quite a bit.
BOTW on Switch is an average of 25 FPS with drops has low as 15, Wii U version does not, it's a stable 30 the majority of the time.
What? BOTW on Wii U has PLENTY of frame drops and it only runs at max 720p with dynamic resolution (can drop to 648p). Sure, there are a few places where the Wii U version runs "better" than the Switch version, but overall the Switch version runs better and usually averages at higher resolutions, too. In portable mode, it actually runs comparable to the Wii U version where it drops max resolution down to 720p with dynamic resolution and fps generally is generally more stable.
This is also why the CEMU BOTW runs infinitely better than Yuzu BOTW.
The reason CEMU BOTW runs way better is because CEMU is much more developed and is emulating a weaker console (Wii U) too. Not to mention that CEMU also had a pretty big patreon back in the day where they could get over $30-40k a month. So they could have full time developers working on CEMU and that really help speed up development. The Switch emulators don't get as much money while also having to deal with a slightly more powerful console (Switch) and basically no full-time devs to help speed things along.

Also, I noticed that you're ignoring the rest of the specs and just focusing on the GPU.
For CPU and RAM, the Switch pretty much wins in those areas. No contest.

All in all, the Switch can play the ported Wii U games better than the Wii U itself and it does so while using a lot less power than the Wii U does.

No matter where you actually look, everyone says the Switch has better specs and is more powerful than the Wii U. That reddit post you quoted practically agrees to that notion. Which I'll once again post:
The Switch, on the other hand, outperforms the 7th gen consoles and the Wii U in real world tests. It will very often render at a higher resolution than what the 7th gen and Wii U did. Sometimes it'll have some slow downs, especially when docked and running in 1080p (honestly I wish they gave us the option to keep it at 720p when docked), but generally its a better platform than the 7th gen and Wii U consoles.

Last edited by NyaakoXD,

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
BOTW on Switch is an average of 25 FPS with drops has low as 15, Wii U version does not, it's a stable 30 the majority of the time.
You don't even try. First you are comparing handheld mode which has more framedrops, but it's nowhere near your 25 FPS average. And it never drops to 15 FPS, only to 20 FPS and this is because of double buffer. It would hold higher FPS if not for that.

In docked mode it drops FPS only in one place if you play normally - Korok Forest. There are few more places used for benchmarking, but nobody would play as they are doing those benchmarks.

formorker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone finds, or has found, a way to decompress bfres.mc/.zs files, or get a data.arc, please dm me!

If anyone finds, or has found, a way to decompress bfres.mc/.zs files, or get a data.arc, please dm me!

frimeonetwothree

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt

you have ZSTD tool to compress and decompress zs file

Reactions: formorker

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
In order to decompress the ZS files, you need to supply the correct zstd dictionary. These are contained within the file \Pack\ZsDic.pack.zs (which is the only ZS file to have been compressed without using a dictionary). The default dictionary is zs.zsdic, you only use the others for files of the corresponding file type.

Reactions: Karlos_007

icogniito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It's accurate to an extent, but it's not everything you think it may be.

There are plenty of instances where Wii U games ported actually already can run better and push higher and more stable fps on the Switch. Hyrule Warriors being one of the big examples of that where on the Wii U it can only do 720p at 30fps (with LOTS of frame drops), but on the Switch it can do 1080p at 60fps (with some frame drops, but not as heavy as Wii U). Bayonetta 1/2 runs better on Switch. The Wonderful 101 also runs significantly better on Switch. And there's plenty more comparisons to add.

Also, stop trying to imply that higher resolutions don't mean much when it actuality they do and with the Switch playing those games at higher resolutions and higher fps, already says quite a bit.

What? BOTW on Wii U has PLENTY of frame drops and it only runs at max 720p with dynamic resolution (can drop to 648p). Sure, there are a few places where the Wii U version runs "better" than the Switch version, but overall the Switch version runs better and usually averages at higher resolutions, too. In portable mode, it actually runs comparable to the Wii U version where it drops max resolution down to 720p with dynamic resolution and fps generally is generally more stable.

The reason CEMU BOTW runs way better is because CEMU is much more developed and is emulating a weaker console (Wii U) too. Not to mention that CEMU also had a pretty big patreon back in the day where they could get over $30-40k a month. So they could have full time developers working on CEMU and that really help speed up development. The Switch emulators don't get as much money while also having to deal with a slightly more powerful console (Switch) and basically no full-time devs to help speed things along.

Also, I noticed that you're ignoring the rest of the specs and just focusing on the GPU.
For CPU and RAM, the Switch pretty much wins in those areas. No contest.

All in all, the Switch can play the ported Wii U games better than the Wii U itself and it does so while using a lot less power than the Wii U does.

No matter where you actually look, everyone says the Switch has better specs and is more powerful than the Wii U. That reddit post you quoted practically agrees to that notion. Which I'll once again post:
I'll just add my two cents. The reddit post in question is absolutely stupid and obviously written by someone who has no understanding of how computer hardware works. It uses the wrong units everywhere, it doesn't make sense and the values provided don't match with actual spec lists.

The Switch hardware is vastly superior to the Wii U in basically all aspects.

Another thing, if the Wii U was in fact superior hardware wise than the Switch, emulation of it would perform worse by default, not better, especially in LLE.

Reactions: Kei00 and NyaakoXD

frimeonetwothree

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
In order to decompress the ZS files, you need to supply the correct zstd dictionary. These are contained within the file \Pack\ZsDic.pack.zs (which is the only ZS file to have been compressed without using a dictionary). The default dictionary is zs.zsdic, you only use the others for files of the corresponding file type.
i made a text mod fot totk to make some test but when i put it in the atmosphere/contents/id it didn't work and the switch crash.
Have you an idea of what it's going?

Karlos_007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Anyone managed to make a mod of any *.pack.zs ?
I tried to edit \romfs\Pack\Actor\Item_Ore_A.pack.zs changing the 500 price but nothing happens.
(*.bgyml files work.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it