Hacking Exception occurred in ACNL

Dg63

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Last time I played acnl was almost 2 months ago and this started happening today. Tried updating luma, disabling/enabling luma options, and reinstalling luma and the game, and even with old backups of the savegame. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_3527.MOV
    40.1 MB

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Last time I played acnl was almost 2 months ago and this started happening today. Tried updating luma, disabling/enabling luma options, and reinstalling luma and the game, and even with old backups of the savegame. Any help would be appreciated
Does it always happen at the same time, i.e. when walking into main street?

If your SD card is failing, that could cause all sorts of mysterious problems. Connect the SD card to your PC, copy everything off the SD card with Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier, format the card, test the empty card with h2testw, and copy everything back if the test is okay. Sometimes just copying everything off and back will solve some problems.

Otherwise, are you sure you're not running any cheat plugins?

Dg63

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania

If your SD card is failing, that could cause all sorts of mysterious problems. Connect the SD card to your PC, copy everything off the SD card with Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier, format the card, test the empty card with h2testw, and copy everything back if the test is okay. Sometimes just copying everything off and back will solve some problems.

Just tried formatting the SD card, putting the files back and trying again, it didn't work. This is weird, I really have no explanation as to why this happened all of a sudden after not using the game in almost 2 months. Maybe it is something related to the extdata or the seed?

Also everything else works fine and all ive done is to backup my saves multiple times

Last edited by Dg63,

Dg63

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Are you playing the game from a cartridge, or did you download it from the eShop? Or did you download it from some miscellaneous Internet site?

Can you open your save data in a save game editor, i.e. https://www.marcrobledo.com/acnl-editor/ ?
First I used a cia finely for many time then when this happened reinstalled the game from hbshop. Just tried opening the save with the save editor and it could be opened and saved. I assume this has to do with my luma config or something in my NAND

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First I used a cia finely for many time then when this happened reinstalled the game from hbshop. Just tried opening the save with the save editor and it could be opened and saved. I assume this has to do with my luma config or something in my NAND
The exception would list something that would point to that. It says its the Garden file at fault. which is the save file. Do you remember anything that you did at that point when that started to happen?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The exception would list something that would point to that. It says its the Garden file at fault. which is the save file.
No, it says Garden is the process at fault, and "Garden" is just the internal process name for Animal Crossing. I'm afraid it doesn't narrow down the problem much.

But it's easy enough to test that: since the save game is backed up, just start a new game and see if the problem still happens.

Dg63

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
The exception would list something that would point to that. It says its the Garden file at fault. which is the save file. Do you remember anything that you did at that point when that started to happen?
No, it says Garden is the process at fault, and "Garden" is just the internal process name for Animal Crossing. I'm afraid it doesn't narrow down the problem much.

But it's easy enough to test that: since the save game is backed up, just start a new game and see if the problem still happens.
It's impossible for this to be caused for the savegame being corrupted as I tried with old saves too, not the game either as I reinstalled it. Another possibility is that there is some file in the SD card that is causing a problem. Again, haven't cheated or messed with luma recently.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I tried with old saves too
Yes, you said that in your first post. I am not talking about old saves, I am talking about starting over with a new save.

Another possibility is that there is some file in the SD card that is causing a problem.
In that case the solution would be to start over with a fresh, properly-formatted SD card that has been tested with h2testw. You can follow the instructions at https://3ds.hacks.guide/restoring-updating-cfw to finish setting up the card.

You shouldn't use multiple SD cards on a 3DS, but if the game doesn't crash with a fresh SD card, then at least that will narrow down the possibilities.

ETA: someone on Reddit apparently solved a similar problem by updating Luma and updating the firmware, which completely surprises me, but it's not likely to do any harm.

Last edited by Kwyjor,
Reactions: Dg63

Dg63

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Yes, you said that in your first post. I am not talking about old saves, I am talking about starting over with a new save.

In that case the solution would be to start over with a fresh, properly-formatted SD card that has been tested with h2testw. You can follow the instructions at https://3ds.hacks.guide/restoring-updating-cfw to finish setting up the card.

You shouldn't use multiple SD cards on a 3DS, but if the game doesn't crash with a fresh SD card, then at least that will narrow down the possibilities.

ETA: someone on Reddit apparently solved a similar problem by updating Luma and updating the firmware, which completely surprises me, but it's not likely to do any harm.
Ok, so I already reformatted my sd and put only the luma files, the 3ds homebrew, and the cias and tried now and it worked. So i can confirm there is some file in my sd causing the issue. Here is a photo of what my sd root was before and how it is now.

As i said in my op I already updated my luma and the console is updated too.

Attachments

• BE558175-3EF8-4E8F-8A20-912FCE48FA49.jpeg
    BE558175-3EF8-4E8F-8A20-912FCE48FA49.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • E595D095-B877-4C50-85EC-59CE91B62DA2.jpeg
    E595D095-B877-4C50-85EC-59CE91B62DA2.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I asked before whether you were using any cheat plugins, and you have a folder there named "CHEATS". Are you sure all the cheats were disabled? Because that is by far the most likely cause of a crash like this.

Dg63

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I asked before whether you were using any cheat plugins, and you have a folder there named "CHEATS". Are you sure all the cheats were disabled? Because that is by far the most likely cause of a crash like this.
I already solved the issue! I removed the LUMA folder and reupdated the game and now I can already access the main street. It appears there is something wrong with my luma settings or my update data got corrupted somehow.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I already solved the issue!
Oh, well, I thought you wanted to keep using your old SD card with the other files.

I removed the LUMA folder and reupdated the game and now I can already access the main street.
Well, if you installed some kind of patch via layeredfs, then that would have been stored in your Luma folder. There is not usually anything that can magically go wrong with your "luma settings" that can cause such specific crashes.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

Dg63

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Oh, well, I thought you wanted to keep using your old SD card with the other files.

Well, if you installed some kind of patch via layeredfs, then that would have been stored in your Luma folder. There is not usually anything that can magically go wrong with your "luma settings" that can cause such specific crashes.
Im using my original sd root obviously. The luma folder remained there for some time so im not using a new luma setup.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch