everyway to mcu brick.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by monkeyman4412, Feb 19, 2017.

1. monkeyman4412
    OP

monkeyman4412 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    I already aware of the infamous Metriod brick if you input a certain insulting code into the password screen, you can receive a mcu brick. And having the led go rainbow color also would brick on 8.1 and below. But what other mcu bricks are out there? Well I guess it's time to find out.

2. DrCrygor07

DrCrygor07 Italian Wario Ware bootleg©

Sep 4, 2014
    Italy
    Close the lid on new 3ds 2.1.0 (maybe <8.1.0)

3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I am not finding any reports saying that causes a brick, just cause the game to crash. If it did cause an mcu brick, I highly doubt Nintendo would have let that continue to happen.
    The only mcu I can find is anyone stupid enough to close their new3DS on 2.1

4. Kourin

Kourin Touhou Maniac

Jan 24, 2016
    Australia
    Ripple Star
    Wut.

5. NekoMichi

NekoMichi Retro Collector

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    In the European and North American releases of Metroid for the NES, inputting "ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER F****R" as the password would cause the game to count 2,755,656 hours of gameplay and overload the system, causing hardware damage to some NES units*. This bug wasn't patched in the Virtual Console version, and would cause a similar error to the 3DS, resulting in bricking crashing**. However Nintendo has since added a patch in the 3DS firmware that would cause Virtual Console itself to crash instead of the entire system.

* I think this was because the NES couldn't handle variables containing a value that high, but not sure. Can someone please check?
    ** This has now been called into question. While entering the code right now will crash VC and require a power cycle, there are unverified claims that consoles on earlier firmwares can brick.

Last edited by NekoMichi, Feb 19, 2017
  6. Aglaophotis

Aglaophotis GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2017
    Germany
    What, you could brick your 3DS by doing this?! Lol, this is hilarious!

epickid37 likes this.
  7. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    An interesting not, you can say fuck on the Temp. And it only crashed the system, it didn't cause an MCU brick.

Majickhat55 likes this.
  8. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Tbh if that's The cause I don't think someone would be so stupid to do so

9. AyanamiRei0

AyanamiRei0 GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.

GBAtemp Patron
    AyanamiRei0 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 4, 2016
    United Kingdom
    England I guess

The video is from 5 years ago but this has been fixed in newer firmwares

10. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    And it wasn't an MCU brick either
    It was basically a temp soft lock. Once you reset your system, it was fixed.

11. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    I heard that invalid LED commands on older firmwares (like 4.x) could brick, but newer firmwares have better error handling. That may be why yellows8 bricked, when using the exact same code, someone else (don't remember the name) had it work perfectly.

12. gkoelho

gkoelho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 16, 2015
    Brazil
    Holy shit this is hilarious. How did I never find this out before. Do you have any more technical documentation on this effect on the original nes? I have searched quite a bit here and didnt find much more, this is so funny.

13. monkeyman4412
    OP

monkeyman4412 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    I already mentioned that one.

no it is. If i recall correctly if you where on a older firmware, it would mcu brick. simmilar on how it's safe to make your led go rainbow colors, but if your on 8.1 or below it would mcu br

here is the really funny bit. Every single letter on that screen is actually converted into code, which means it exists by PURE CHANCE. not set by the programmer

yep your correct. thats why metriod and led, brick. but I'm requesting other knowledge of other bricks. specifically mcu. Any mcu brick as long as it worked at some point.

Last edited by monkeyman4412, Feb 19, 2017
    epickid37 likes this.
  14. NekoMichi

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    In the original Famicom version of Metroid, the cartridge had an on-board battery that allowed progress to be saved and continued later. The European and North American versions didn't have the battery due to cost saving reasons and instead users would receive a password to record their progress, which they had to enter at the title screen in order to continue.

Each character of the password actually defined what value certain variables should be (e.g. Location on the map, items or power-ups obtained), so when the player entered their password they weren't exactly loading a written save, but instead the game was effectively reconstructing what the conditions were at the moment the player "saved" their progress. This system was widely open to abuse, as players pretty much had control of any aspect of the game. By sheer coincidence, the code above would cause the game to record the total play time as being a value far higher than the maximum possible number a NES could count to, resulting in unpredictable behaviour.

Ricken likes this.
  15. Majickhat55

Majickhat55 The Red Woman

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    All the reports of the Metroid brick as far back as 2011 say that it was NOT a brick, it just caused the system to crash and be power cycled before it would come back on. Where is the confirmation that is causes an MCU brick? Every report floating around online all confirm a power cycle reversed it. The LED light thing does cause an MCU brick.

I though updating a N3DS on 2.1 caused an MCU brick as well since a hardmod can't fix it.

16. cheuble

cheuble Marieism™

Feb 6, 2016
    France
    Somewhere
    This is NOT a MCU brick!
    As explained here by @MarcusD
    [​IMG]

17. Majickhat55

Majickhat55 The Red Woman

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    What isn't an MCU brick? No quotes, no context.... And isn't that basically explaining WHY an MCU brick can't be recovered, not saying it doesn't exist? If you need access to the MCU sysmodule to fix it, but can't be turned off without killing the system entirely. Isn't that what we're talking about the fact it can't be fixed? I'm so confused by your post.

18. NekoMichi

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    Updated my earlier post to highlight that claims of 3DS bricking from the Metroid code are unverified and that on current firmwares it will only crash VC.

So, probably nothing dramatic like this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by NekoMichi, Feb 19, 2017
    RosaliinaDaHacker64 likes this.