[Essentials] TurboGrafx-16 aka PC Engine

gumgod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I happened to notice with all of the essentials lists I could not find one for the TurboGrafx... so I thought I might as well start one.

I'm stealing the format and rules from the other essentials stickies.

Rules by Dice
If there is a game already on the list that you think should not be there let me know and it'll have a point removed (so if there are more negative than positive votes then the game will be removed entirely off the list).

You may also recommend some more games in a future post but: (1) you must not repeat any game you have already mentioned and (2) you must make a new post, do NOT edit your previous post as it may not be seen.

In addition to the normal rules, please indicate whether or not the game you are listing is a CD game.

All games will be sorted first by number of votes (listed in parenthesis) then alphabetical. I started the list with a few of my favorites and have been adding votes from there (the ones I voted on are listed in a spoiler at the bottom). I've also added in links to game play videos. If anything looks inaccurate or if you find a broken link, please just post and let me know and I'll keep this up to date as much as I can.

Essential Games [10+ votes]

Recommended Games [5+ votes]
Akumaj? Dracula X Chi no Rondo (Castlevania Rondo of Blood) (Super CD) (English translation patch) (9)
Bonk's Revenge (6)

Noteworthy Games [3+ votes]
Bomberman 93 (4)
Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure (4)
Bonk's Adventure (4)
Neutopia (4)

Blazing Lazers (Gunhed) (3)
Gekiesha Boy/Gekibo (Photograph Boy) (3)
Soldier Blade (3)
Splatterhouse (3)

Other Games [less than 3 votes]
Ai Cho Aniki (CD) (2)
Alien Crush (2)
Devil's Crush (2)
Dragon's Curse (2)
Legendary Axe
(2)
Neutopia II (2)
Ninja Spirit (2)
Parasol Stars (2)
R-Type (2)

Air Zonk (1)
Bravoman (1)
Dragon Spirit (1)
Dynastic Hero (CD) (aka Monster World III)
Fighting Street (CD) (1)
Gates of Tunder (CD) (1)
Ghouls 'N Ghosts (Daimakaimura) (Super Grafx) (1)
Keith Courage in Alpha Zones (1)
Legendary Axe II (1)
Lords of Thunder (CD) (1)
New Adventure Island (1)
Pac-Land (1)
Parodius (1)
Raiden (1)
Ryukyu (1)
Somer Assault (1)
Star Parodier (CD) (1)
Strider (CD)
Valis II (CD) (1)
Valis III (CD) (1)
Xak III (CD) (1)
Ys I, II & III (CD) (1) (English Translations)

More links and info about the system and games:

After seeing BlueStar's post about buying a RGB modded system I had to look it up... Here's how to mod your system to have an RGB output.

The "PC Engine software bible" - Contains screenshots, videos and reviews of most if not all games for the system.

Wikipedia's page on the system.

List of TurboGrafx games that are available on Wii Virtual Console

Games I voted for:

Air Zonk
Akumaj? Dracula X Chi no Rondo (Castlevania)
Blazing Lazers
Bomberman 93
Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure
Bonk's Adventure
Bonk's Revenge
Neutopia
Neutopia II
Ninja Spirit
Parasol Stars
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last updated on 03-24-2013 (Will come back and add game play links to newly added games later)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More Essentials lists.

gumgod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this isn't getting much notice, but updated and added a few more of my own picks to the list.

gumgod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updated and added links to game footage.

Also, thanks to whoever made this a sticky.
smile.gif

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You need to add the legendary axe series to your list. The second game was a hell of a lot better than the first one. Also aliens crush and devils crush need to be on there too. I'll throw down some votes for both neutopias and the 3 main bonks games.

gumgod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
431unknown said:
You need to add the legendary axe series to your list. The second game was a hell of a lot better than the first one. Also aliens crush and devils crush need to be on there too. I'll throw down some votes for both neutopias and the 3 main bonks games.

Updated and added links to gameplay.

Misanthroat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been slowly getting back into Turbo-16 games in the past year.

I chose the following ten:

1. Raiden
2. R-Type
3. Dragon's Curse
4. Bomberman '93
5. Neutopia
6. Legendary Axe
7. Bonk's Revenge
8. Splatterhouse
9. Ninja Spirit
10. Dragon Spirit

gumgod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Misanthroat said:
Been slowly getting back into Turbo-16 games in the past year.

I chose the following ten:

1. Raiden
2. R-Type
3. Dragon's Curse
4. Bomberman '93
5. Neutopia
6. Legendary Axe
7. Bonk's Revenge
8. Splatterhouse
9. Ninja Spirit
10. Dragon Spirit

Updated

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
My favourites in no particular order

HU-cards:
Parasol Stars
Gekiesha Boy
Parodius
Splatterhouse
Bonk's Revenge
Ryukyu (Interesting puzzle game where you have to make poker hands up, down and diagonally to unlock graphics of laydees)

CD Rom:
Star Parodier

Super CD Rom:
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood

Picked up a Japanese PC-Engine with an RGB mod and a load of hu-cards, was a worthwhile purchase! Here's a great site for PC-Engine/TG-16 info:
http://www.pcengine.co.uk/

gumgod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:

HU-cards:
Parasol Stars
Gekiesha Boy
Parodius
Splatterhouse
Bonk's Revenge
Ryukyu (Interesting puzzle game where you have to make poker hands up, down and diagonally to unlock graphics of laydees)

CD Rom:
Star Parodier

Super CD Rom:

Picked up a Japanese PC-Engine with an RGB mod and a load of hu-cards, was a worthwhile purchase! Here's a great site for PC-Engine/TG-16 info:

I have seen that site before, and it does have some good info. Added your picks and clarified that Castlevania is Super CD. Even though I never owned one, a friend of mine had a TG-16 and the Duo when I was growing up, and always thought Bonk and Parasol stars were amazing. (I only owned an NES at the time). If so many of the games weren't available on wii I probably would have bought a TG-16 off ebay by now lol.

edit: I was re-reading this and realized I meant to say my friend had the GT not the duo... He had the console and the portable version.
blush.gif

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
gumgod said:
BlueStar said:

HU-cards:
Parasol Stars
Gekiesha Boy
Parodius
Splatterhouse
Bonk's Revenge

CD Rom:
Star Parodier

Super CD Rom:

I have seen that site before, and it does have some good info. Added your picks and clarified that Castlevania is Super CD. Even though I never owned one, a friend of mine had a TG-16 and the Duo when I was growing up, and always thought Bonk and Parasol stars were amazing. (I only owned an NES at the time). If so many of the games weren't available on wii I probably would have bought a TG-16 off ebay by now lol.
Damn how could I have missed Splatterhouse? Throw a vote on that one from me also.

I owned a TG 16 when I was in high school until it got zapped in a bad thunder storm. After that happened I upgraded to the Duo and owned that until about 4-5 years ago. I sold it on bay for around 400$ in a mint condition box with about 30 games on Hu-cards and 10-15 on CD. Man I miss that thing, but at least I got a good emulator for when I get a craving.

gumgod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
431unknown said:
Damn how could I have missed Splatterhouse? Throw a vote on that one from me also.

I owned a TG 16 when I was in high school until it got zapped in a bad thunder storm. After that happened I upgraded to the Duo and owned that until about 4-5 years ago. I sold it on bay for around 400$ in a mint condition box with about 30 games on Hu-cards and 10-15 on CD. Man I miss that thing, but at least I got a good emulator for when I get a craving.

Added. Yea they still fetch a good sum on e-bay. I look at them on there every now and then. They are still kind of rare lol.

gumgod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cortador said:
Castlevania Rondo Of Blood
Bonk
updated.
edit: I'm taking that as a vote for each Bonk game (Bonk's Adventure, Revenge and III). If this is not what you mean, if you mean one specific Bonk game, then post and I'll change it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s