Errors intalling games to Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by TheRummy, Jan 16, 2010.

Jan 16, 2010
  1. TheRummy
    OP

Newcomer TheRummy Newbie

Canada
    Heya folks, I figure one of you wizards might be able to give me a hand and help me figure out what going on.

I have no trouble installing 'smaller' games to my Seagate 250gb hard drive though WBFS Manager 3.0. Any smaller game, like a gig or so (after scrubbing) works just fine, installs with no errors, no sweat.
    But.
    Installing any larger game never works. It goes though the progress bars, and acts like it is installing the game just fine. Then usually about three quarters done I get the usb disconnect/connect notification sounds and then it continues on until it says that the item was successfully added. But it never is. Why would my HD be randomly disconnecting and then immediately reconnecting? Is this what is giving me the annoying errors?

I've tried a couple of other WBFS gui managers and none seem to work any better. And I used to be able to add larger games with no trouble whatsoever. Any ideas?
    And if this in the wrong sub-forum, my apologies.

2. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    Yes the disconnecting is what causes the errors.Have you tried a different USB port?

3. TheRummy
    OP

Newcomer TheRummy Newbie

Canada
    I have, and have even updated my usb driver profile in case that was what was causing issues. It's got me stumped.

(also holy crap fast replies around here!)

4. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    Is the HDD USB powered? If so I'd try a powered hub or, if it can also use a DC adapter plug it in and try. If it's not that I guess it's a Windows related problem and I can't help.

5. TheRummy
    OP

Newcomer TheRummy Newbie

Canada
    It's usb powered, yup. And that seemed adequate before, so I can't figure out why all of a sudden it isn't any longer. Blargh. Thanks for your input! [​IMG]

6. smf

Member smf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I had a problem with a usb caddy. At first using one port was enough, then it started acting weird and after that would only spin up with two ports connected & then it would do the usb disconnect/reconnect.
    When putting the drive into a laptop it would spin down & up all the time. In the end I RMA'd it.

I don't use the caddy anymore. It might have corrupted some settings on the drive, or damaged the power circuits.

7. TheRummy
    OP

Newcomer TheRummy Newbie

Canada
    It seems it has to be an issue with my computer. I can install games to the hard drive though the Wii just fine, so it's not the hard drive itself. Damn you, Windows!

8. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Just give this a quick go make a new user account on your windows sign into it and try to load a large game from there!

9. synicasm

Newcomer synicasm Advanced Member

United States
    Are you using a USB port of the front of computer ? Try plugging it into the back.. I have had trouble with other USB devices that we plugged into the front for whatever reason..

10. TheRummy
    OP

Newcomer TheRummy Newbie

Canada
    I've tried all of my available usb ports, all of which are usb 1.1. Thought about picking up an pci usb 2.0 card since they are damn near giving them away these days. Also, I will try the user-account trick, cobleman, thanks.

11. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    Usb1.1 what sort of computer do you have a original pentium??

12. metroid4life14

Member metroid4life14 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Try using a usbloader to rip an original disc that has a large file size and see if that works. If so, the problem is w/ you computer. If not, the problem is with your drive.

13. farcry15

Member farcry15 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    why don't you try another game manager? NCWBFStool works great for me.