Error in R4i Gold, WTF!?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Kusan, Jul 12, 2012.

Jul 12, 2012

Error in R4i Gold, WTF!? by Kusan at 2:49 AM (1,293 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Kusan
    OP

Newcomer Kusan Advanced Member

Mexico
    Ok, so I have the R4i Gold flashcard which has "r4i-gold.com" as website, today I updated it so I could use it in a newly updated 3DS console; I updated it using the tool in r4igold.eu, as I have read that the tool in r4i-gold.com didn't work, the update went fine but now there's something completely wrong with the flashcard: I can't use it.

If I put the r4i-gold.com kernel, the 1.72b in it, it doesn't even run. It appears on the menu of the 3DS, but when selected screens go black and a red text message appears saying that I need to use r4igold.eu firmware or updgrade hardware; so I did, I put the newest r4igold.eu kernel and I can get into the menu, but when selecting games, moonshell or whatever the same error screen appears, but now asking for the r4i-gold.com firmware.

My question is: WTF? I have done this update once and it worked fine, using the r4igold.eu tool and putting an r4igold.eu firmware, but now it won't go.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    The best advice I can give you is to downgrade back to the previous firmware (the one that worked). Of course, it won't run on the latest 3ds, but you'll at least have a working flashcart.

3. Kusan
    OP

Mexico
    Tried it, put the r4igold.eu 1.57b firmware, it doesn't even go to the menu it displays the "loading" for a second and then the black screen asking for the r4i-gold.com firmware. Tried putting an old r4i-gold.com firmware and it doesn't even load, black screen asking for the r4igold.eu firmware.

I even put the date en 2010, nothing, nothing seems to work. Isn't there a firmware that works for both flashcards? One that doesn't need to run a *.nds file since I can't do that.

4. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    If you're referring to RetroGameFan's multicart update (or simply YSmenu), it seems to work with the r4igold.com one. Look in the spoiler "Known Other Cards which use DSTT Firmware" and you should find it there. The folder you're supposed to use is specified in the spoiler. You can DL the multicart update here.

Problem is, your cart will only work as a dual-boot, wherein you boot into your flashcart's original firmware, then boot into YSmenu from there. Basically, since you can't load anything, it might not be possible to load into YSmenu.

There's another solution, but it will only work if you have another flashcart (any will work), and the updater needs a feature that allows you to swap carts before updating. If you've been asked to eject your cart then reinsert it before updating, swapping will work. If not, it won't work. You simply load the updater on your other flashcart, swap to your broken r4i gold when asked to do so, then run the updater.

5. Kusan
    OP

Mexico
    I'm gonna try to boot the YSMenu. The other solution isn't possible. Maybe I'll have to buy a new flashcard, damn.

EDIT: RetroGameFan's post mentions my flashcard uses DSTT firmware, if I get a native DSTT firmware could it be possible to have this thing working? I'm gonna try that.

EDIT 2: IT WORKED. Here's what I did, for future references: I put the RetroGameFan's firmware in my SD, BUT, I erased the R4.dat that came with the r4igold.eu/r4i-gold.com firmware and placed the TTMenu.dat included in RGF's one, changing the name to R4.dat. Using this, the flashcart booted directly to the -I think- YSMenu and no error screens appear, I'm going to update the .dat and try some games to see if it works.

EDIT 3: It works, games and everything.

Thanks a lot for your help s4mid4re