Encoding problem?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Arubaro, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Arubaro
    OP

Arubaro Soulspace Guardian

Sep 4, 2015
    Hi there,
    so today I was messing around with some cias and ended up with a JPN one that I'm not able to extract from. This game is called Time Travelers.

I'm using a decrypted cia and have the following results:

When extracting exefs using ctrtool (32bit version)
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

I've also tried RomFSExtractor to extract the romfs, but it gives me an error like
    "not a valid romfs binary"
    or something like that.

Then I saw the names of the sections in the report above and thought if it's an encoding problem and if it is, I would want to know if there is a workaround.

I've also tried to run these programs with a japanese locale configuration and other decrypted .cia/.3ds of the same game, but no avail.

Any clue? Thanks in advance

2. Arubaro
    OP

Arubaro Soulspace Guardian

Sep 4, 2015
    I think I've solved it.
    I anyone want to know what was the problem, It seems that this game in specific is packed as a .cpk, so I needed aditional software to unpack it.
    For some reason, it's not working if I use ctrtool directly, so I used 3DS ROM Tools by shadowtrance.
    That will extract the romfs as a .cpk which needs another software in order to extract files from (quickbms + the proper script will do)