Hacking emuNAND Tool - Release and Support thread

n1ghty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Hey GBATemp.net members, :lol:

my first version of the emuNAND Tool is finished.
Thank you to all my beta testers! (5rg, AgoraphobicNosebleed, DAHU75, Gildoniel, hashcheck1, mvmiranda)

About the tool:
This tool can be used to extract the NAND file from a emuNAND SD card and to inject a NAND file into the emuNAND SD card.
The extracted NAND file is a fully working 3DS NAND file and is also flashable to the 3DS.
If you want to flash the emuNAND to your 3DS, you will need to do a hardware modification. (nand flash dump (3ds xl) / NAND Flash Dump (3DS))
This is NOT needed if you only want to backup/modify your emuNAND.

Supported emuNANDs: Gateway and clones like R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe Edition, 3DS Link, Orange 3DS, MT Card

The emuNAND SD gets detected automatically!
To inject a NAND file, the SD card has to already contain an emuNAND partition.

What is NOT possible?
This tool does not enable you to magically use the Gateway (and clones) on a non 4.x system version.
You can't inject games.
You can't flash the Gateway mode to the 3DS.
You can't modify the firmware (no region bypass, backups,...).
You can't extract any keys.
You can't downgrade your 3DS with this tool. It only modifies the emuNAND on your SD card.
You can't use a NAND from another 3DS on your 3DS.

Usage examples:
  • You updated your emuNAND to a version which is not supported by the Gateway (or clone) and want to go back to an old version.
=> Extract the emuNAND each time you update it. You can then switch the emuNAND version by injecting the backup.​

• Your emuNAND is on the latest version, but the Gateway (or clone) does not support the eshop of this system version yet, but you want to buy a game.
=> Backup your 4.X 3DS NAND, extract emuNAND from SD, flash extracted emuNAND to 3DS, open the eshop and buy a game, backup the 3DS NAND, flash your 4.X NAND back onto the 3DS, inject the new 3DS NAND backup (with the downloaded game) into the emuNAND SD.​
(ATTENTION: make sure you have a valid 4.X NAND backup and are able to flash it back with a hardware mod!)​
  • You updated your emuNAND to a version which is not supported by the Gateway (or clone) and want to go back to an old version. But you don't have a backup.
=> Backup your 4.X 3DS NAND, update your 3DS NAND by using a game cartridge, create a backup of the 3DS NAND, flash your 4.X NAND backup back to the 3DS and inject the updated NAND backup to the emuNAND SD.​
(ATTENTION: make sure you have a valid 4.X NAND backup and are able to flash it back with a hardware mod!)​
  • You want to do a system transfer, but the emuNAND does not support that. (System transfer is now possible in emuNAND)
=> Backup your 4.X 3DS NAND, update your target system to the latest system version. Do the system transfer. Backup the target 3DS NAND, flash the 4.X backup NAND back to the target 3DS, inject the NAND backup (after the system transfer) to the emuNAND SD.​
(ATTENTION: make sure you have a valid 4.X NAND backup and are able to flash it back witha hardware mod!)​

Changelog:
1.0.3:
- Fixed emuNAND injection
1.0.2:
- Added support for New 3DS
- Added support for MT CARD emuNAND
1.0.1:
- Added support for newer clone firmware emuNANDs
- Better errorhandling, should fix the detection problems which some users had

Download:
emuNAND Tool 1.0.3 (Filetrip)

Old versions:

D

Deleted User

you want to tell me you made firmware downgrade tool (software flasher)???

D

Deleted User

yep. I was too lazy to read it all. thanks man. this tool will be very helpful i'm sure.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
hmmm ESET Smart Security is telling me, that this download poses a potential threat...
http://prntscr.com/2bbeaw

probably just a mistake, but can anyone verify, that it is safe?
Did you do the automatic download? That contains adware and could be what set off the antivirus. Choose manual download next time.

Reactions: Margen67

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you for your tool.

I don't like "auto-detect", as I never know what it's checking on all my drives to find the correct device.
I tested it anyway, but it's not working.

I insert my SD card to computer, I get the drive mounted and lettered in windows explorer.
I click on "Extract EmuNAND" button, and I have this error right away:

Code:
Variante des Typs (Null) konnte nicht in Typ (OleStr) konvertiert werden.

I'm on Windows XP SP2 French.
My other drives are : 1 SATA (2 HDD in Raid1), 1 IDE HDD, 1 IDE DVD-R, 1 empty network device (my printer has a SD slot, it's recognized and lettered in windows but not readable unless there's an SD card in).
I tried to put the SD card in the printer, but I get the same error.

Edit:
Pong's request is a good idea :)

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I tried it and it worked just fine. I extracted my 6.3 emunand and injected my 4.5 nand dump into emunand and it worked just fine. gonna undo it again, ofc, was just testing, whether it works or not :)

crazyace2011

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thank you very much for this lil power tool will come in very handy.. i hope that gateway makes a tool to allow you to flash your backup nand.bin file back into your 3ds incase you accidently flash the real nand. since they made a way to pull the nand from the original firmware on the chip there should be a way to flash it back. if not it would be a cool idea.

soulrazor

Trophies
XP
Country
thank you very much for this lil power tool will come in very handy.. i hope that gateway makes a tool to allow you to flash your backup nand.bin file back into your 3ds incase you accidently flash the real nand. since they made a way to pull the nand from the original firmware on the chip there should be a way to flash it back. if not it would be a cool idea.

For that you need to be able to run custom code at the flashed firmware, and if you are able to do that probably you wont need to downgrade

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice work! Gonna watch this closely and see how others' experiences go before I download and use. Sounds like a really useful tool, though!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended