Hacking Emunand Tool is not working?

Kirbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what is the file size of your emunand bin i dont think theres any saves in that bin the saves arent in the emunand partion (the one you cant see)
It is 1.84gb. I am starting to think it just does not backup cia saves.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are no saves in emuNAND.bin. You unlinked your NAND's. Your NAND folder is the /Nintendo 3DS/randomcharacterswithnumbersandletters

When your NAND's are linked, they share the randomcharacterswithnumbersandletters folder. When you unlink (format sysNAND in your case), your 3DS creates a new randomcharactersiwthnumbersandletters folder. When you restore your previous randomcharacterswithnumbersandletters folder, this is the folder your emuNAND uses, and your sysNAND uses the other randomcharacterswithnumbersandletters folder that was created after formatting the system.

Reactions: Liberty

aenoch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
back up the sd card format it in windows (fat32) so its empty go in gate way menu format emunand then check if the folders file sizes match your back ups

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Then why does nothing happen when I restore my emunand?

All right I'm gonna try explaining this best as I can, so hang on for a moment

So suppose you had a completely normal non-hacked 3DS, yeah? You have a couple of games on cartridges and a couple of eShop games

When you pull out the SD card, your eShop games don't show up on the home screen. This is because they aren't stored on the NAND (a chip inside the system), but on the SD card in the Nintendo 3DS folder. Same applies to the save files of the eShop games, they're not on the NAND, they're on the SD. (The only exception is DSiWare games, as those are on the NAND) Retail cartridges however, would be fine as the saves are on the cart themselves.

Now when you create emuNAND it's the same, except it isn't using the NAND inside your console, it's creating a hidden partition on your SD card that you can't open and view the contents of, which pretends it's the NAND chip inside the console.

When you use emuNAND tool to create a backup, it extracts the contents of this hidden partition/fake NAND and backs it up in a .bin file. As with the previous example, the saves are just in the SD card contents. So emuNAND tool has no bearing whatsoever on the save files nor the games that you previously had installed as .CIA .

You with me so far?

All right, this means that before you perform a system format on emunand, you need to have done two things:

1) Use emuNAND tool to backup your emuNAND (sounds like you already did this)

2) Copy paste all the contents from the SD card to somewhere safe on your computer

Did you do just 1, or both 1 and 2? If you only did 1 then I'm afraid your saves are gone :(

Kirbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are no saves in emuNAND.bin. You unlinked your NAND's. Your NAND folder is the /Nintendo 3DS/randomcharacterswithnumbersandletters

When your NAND's are linked, they share the randomcharacterswithnumbersandletters folder. When you unlink (format sysNAND in your case), your 3DS creates a new randomcharactersiwthnumbersandletters folder. When you restore your previous randomcharacterswithnumbersandletters folder, this is the folder your emuNAND uses, and your sysNAND uses the other randomcharacterswithnumbersandletters folder that was created after formatting the system.

Well, I deleted my old Nintendo 3DS folder from my sd card instead of backing it up. I thought backing up emunand was all I needed instead of the folder. I regret doing this but, I guess nothing can be done about. Thanks for your help.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I deleted my old Nintendo 3DS folder from my sd card instead of backing it up. I thought backing up emunand was all I needed instead of the folder. I regret doing this but, I guess nothing can be done about. Thanks for your help.

It's unfortunate, but learn from your mistakes. Always read the guides in full before jumping into them, I'd also recommend paging through some of the thread posts to see other issues people have had before using any guides just to make sure they work and see what nuances you may run into along the way.

Kirbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All right I'm gonna try explaining this best as I can, so hang on for a moment

So suppose you had a completely normal non-hacked 3DS, yeah? You have a couple of games on cartridges and a couple of eShop games

When you pull out the SD card, your eShop games don't show up on the home screen. This is because they aren't stored on the NAND (a chip inside the system), but on the SD card in the Nintendo 3DS folder. Same applies to the save files of the eShop games, they're not on the NAND, they're on the SD. (The only exception is DSiWare games, as those are on the NAND) Retail cartridges however, would be fine as the saves are on the cart themselves.

Now when you create emuNAND it's the same, except it isn't using the NAND inside your console, it's creating a hidden partition on your SD card that you can't open and view the contents of, which pretends it's the NAND chip inside the console.

When you use emuNAND tool to create a backup, it extracts the contents of this hidden partition/fake NAND and backs it up in a .bin file. As with the previous example, the saves are just in the SD card contents. So emuNAND tool has no bearing whatsoever on the save files nor the games that you previously had installed as .CIA .

You with me so far?

All right, this means that before you perform a system format on emunand, you need to have done two things:

1) Use emuNAND tool to backup your emuNAND (sounds like you already did this)

2) Copy paste all the contents from the SD card to somewhere safe on your computer

Did you do just 1, or both 1 and 2? If you only did 1 then I'm afraid your saves are gone :(

Well, I backed up everything in my sd card except, the Nintendo 3DS folder. I guess I lost my saves. :cry: But thanks for your help. I have never used the emunand tool and did not know how it worked. I thought it would restore the Nintendo 3ds folder so I didn't back it up.

aenoch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i did the same thing first tie i backed up emunand then i erased the old sd card and filled it with roms i wasent to far in the games so i didnt try geting the data back. from now on make sure you back up saves with save data filer

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I backed up everything in my sd card except, the Nintendo 3DS folder. I guess I lost my saves. :cry: But thanks for your help. I have never used the emunand tool and did not know how it worked. I thought it would restore the Nintendo 3ds folder so I didn't back it up.

Alternatively to this, you can use WinDisk32Imager which will grab your entire SD card and emuNAND partitions. Of course, test with a second SD card to restore to before restoring over your current image. But that's an all-encompassing option if you're looking for something with that functionality.

Kirbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i did the same thing first tie i backed up emunand then i erased the old sd card and filled it with roms i wasent to far in the games so i didnt try geting the data back. from now on make sure you back up saves with save data filer
Guess we learned that the hard way. But, atleast now I know what I need to do, the next time I backup my emunand.

Alternatively to this, you can use WinDisk32Imager which will grab your entire SD card and emuNAND partitions. Of course, test with a second SD card to restore to before restoring over your current image. But that's an all-encompassing option if you're looking for something with that functionality.
I guess this is a better program to backup up my emunand. Thank you all for your help.

Liberty

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
And just to be sure. Always backup your CIA/Card2-saves with SavaDataFiler. There are tutorials on these forums, look for them.

Kylecito

eats warnings for breakfast
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
BTW, is it normal for the program to fail with a 2 GB n3ds emunand? It throws a INCORRECT SIZE error and creates a 0 bytes file

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BTW, is it normal for the program to fail with a 2 GB n3ds emunand? It throws a INCORRECT SIZE error and creates a 0 bytes file

I suggest you ask this question on the emuNAND Tool thread. Night1y follows that one and can better answer your question since he developed it. Typically though, SD card quality and SD Reader quality really matters with that program. If neither are sub-par quality (not cheap) then it can throw all kinds of errors.

StriderVM

Trophies
XP
Country
Ninja Edit : Oops, didn't read the earlier replies. My bad. Sadly the saves are probably gone.

As a very last resort try a data recovery software. It *might* just be able to recover your deleted files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?