EmuNAND question

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Damon_girl, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Damon_girl
    OP

Damon_girl GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    So I installed rxtools and emuNAND on my 3DS just a few minutes ago, and I backed up my SD card then put everything back on. Turns out I put my SD files on my EmuNAND and when I boot up my 3DS I'm in sysNAND. How do I change between the two?

Also, I want to put everything on my emuNAND and format my sysNAND to unlink the two. How would I do that without deleting my Streetpass data and everything stored in system memory?

2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    If you boot up rxtools there should be the option to go into emuNAND. If you set it to autoboot it should also autoboot into emuNAND.

When you format emuNAND it makes a complete copy of your sysNAND. If you format sysNAND with the SD card out, you will unlink them and have everything in emuNAND. Just make sure you have that SD card out or you'll lose all your data.

3. Damon_girl
    OP

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    When I boot up rxtools with the Web browser it kicks me out to the home screen. Is it supposed to show me an option before it does that?

4. Xeology

Xeology GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    United States
    Keansburg, NJ
    First off you cannot backup your EmuNAND by copying files. EmuNAND is written to the first gig on the SD card in a special way. You need a special extraction tool and than need to use an EmuNAND formatter on the new SD to make the partitions before you inject it in the new one.

I do not believe you can format SysNAND without deleting everything. It produces new ID's and encryption keys from what I can guess and this is how the folders are named and files encrypted. Falls under the category of tough shit if so. I haven't yet seen anything to show otherwise.

EDIT: Correct as stated above that EmuNAND should contain a copy of everything in SysNAND, forgot about that. Second, don't use the Web browser exploit. Use MenuHax / CTRBootManager.

If it keeps crashing, make sure the files are in the right place and you installed firmware.bin in the right place.

Last edited by Xeology, Jan 12, 2016
  5. Damon_girl
    OP

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    Okay, then I'll format emuNAND then. That won't delete my data if it's unlnked, right?

6. Xeology

Xeology GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    United States
    Keansburg, NJ
    Dont do that, EmuNAND already contains a copy of all the info you want to keep. Format your SysNAND, but I do not see why formatting EmuNAND would be an issue if you absolutely must.

7. Damon_girl
    OP

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    Oh it does? So I can format sysNAND and keep everything like my streetpass data?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Okay, I'll try and get browserhax to work even though it keeps crashing on me. -.- What does CTRBootManager do?

8. Xeology

Xeology GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    United States
    Keansburg, NJ
    Yes.

You do not use Browserhax to launch rxTools by the way if that is what you are trying to do. Use https://dukesrg.github.io/?rxTools/sys/code.bin for rxTools 3.x and http://dukesrg.no-ip.org/3ds/go/?rxTools.dat for 2.x

CTRBootManager is something you install after MenuHax to cause MenuHax to redirect to a bootloader so you can choose multiple CFW and Homebrew Launcher on demand. Also allows for autobooting rxTools.

kiwiis likes this.
  9. Damon_girl
    OP

Oct 27, 2015
    United States

Okay, I know that, I'm just trying to get into the HBL because that is my only entry point.

10. Xeology

Xeology GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    United States
    Keansburg, NJ
    What version are you on? Is there a boot.3dsx in your root of the SD card?

11. Damon_girl
    OP

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    I just recently downgraded to 9.2, and yes, there is. Sometimes it'll boot to a yellow and gray screen but then the browser will crash.

12. Xeology

Xeology GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    United States
    Keansburg, NJ
    How many times have you tried? Sometimes it takes a few times. Also I have NEVER had any success getting EmuNAND booting into HBL. If you are looking to just install MenuHax though you can just do it through SysNAND.