Hacking EmuNAND Partitions

starly396

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume the EmuNAND portion of the SD card is the 1GB marked as unallocated space on Windows. When you install .cia files, however, where are they placed? Somewhere in the Nintendo 3DS folder, or inside the hidden partition?

This leads to my next question: What would an SD card look like in a system where the sysnand and emunand have been unlinked?

Thanks.

Destinykid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are named with a bunch of numbers and letters. If you check your sd, it will be like that but with 2. I don't know what you mean by interchangeable because 1 is where the sysnand stores all its files and the other for emunand.

starly396

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are named with a bunch of numbers and letters. If you check your sd, it will be like that but with 2. I don't know what you mean by interchangeable because 1 is where the sysnand stores all its files and the other for emunand.

Oh, I mean, if you swapped the names of the folders, would they work on the opposite nand?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
no, they will be encrypted differently, not only that, but for any installed cia to work, the ticket need to be installed to the nand....so lets just say i have emunand and back it up, then install a game, then restore my backup, there would be no ticket, so the content wouldn't work....it would probably show up on the menu, but just say it needs to be re-downloaded from the eshop, and if you go into data management it would be deleted

starly396

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another q: would Gateway be smart enough to prevent you from attempting to restore an emunand NAND.bin to the sysnand? What would the consequences be?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
from what i have read some people ended up with a black screen....worst case would be bricked unless you have a nand mod, best case would be a system updated to whatever version emunand you had.....so if it was 9.4....well your screwed if you want to use gateway, basically make sure you keep a backup of your sysnand in a safe place named specifically sysnand_x.x or whatever so you know its a clean sysnand backup, and what version it is....remember to zip/rar it and it will compress down to like 200-300MB

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Another q: would Gateway be smart enough to prevent you from attempting to restore an emunand NAND.bin to the sysnand? What would the consequences be?

smart enough? it's not like you are 'tricking' gw, sure, there is no reason why it would not work.
if gw's restore nand function is safe, use it if you want :)

Uncle_Iroh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from what i have read some people ended up with a black screen....worst case would be bricked unless you have a nand mod, best case would be a system updated to whatever version emunand you had.....so if it was 9.4....well your screwed if you want to use gateway, basically make sure you keep a backup of your sysnand in a safe place named specifically sysnand_x.x or whatever so you know its a clean sysnand backup, and what version it is....remember to zip/rar it and it will compress down to like 200-300MB

Can the nandmod be done after the bricking?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1