Hacking EmuNAND from one system booting on another 3ds?

HyoImowano

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just to be clear, I don't mean injecting one system's EmuNAND into another's SysNAND. I have a J console and a U console with EmuNAND. Once I set the J console with it's own emunand, I'm wondering if I'd be able to swap the SD cards.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Just to be clear, I don't mean injecting one system's EmuNAND into another's SysNAND. I have a J console and a U console with EmuNAND. Once I set the J console with it's own emunand, I'm wondering if I'd be able to swap the SD cards.
No, emuNAND and sysNAND are pretty much the same except that emuNAND is running off the SD card instead of off the NAND. It is still encrypted to the console it was created on.

Feel free to try it though. I would be curious to know what happens. You could a) inject a backup of console A's emuNAND into console B's emuNAND partition, or b) simply swap SD cards. My guess in both cases is a black screen when you try to boot emuNAND.

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And that means it's even less doable.
Emunand games are still ticketed with that installation of the game being directly tied to that console.

I'm not sure if it's even theoretically possible to system transfer games from one emunand to another system's sysnand, and then clone that sysnand to emunand allowing the unsigned cia's to then run with a CFW.
It'd likely simply fail at transferring any unsigned cia's (with the exception of legit cia's, these are known to at least transfer the ticket), but I'd be curious to hear if anyone has more info on this.

Last edited by jaksy,

HyoImowano

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been able to do a system transfer from 10.5 sysnand to 10.5 emunand. I'm trying to switch from a U console to a J console. I've read about changing the emunand region, but I also don't want to lose all my saves etc, which is why I was hoping to use the same emunand.

Vampirex

Dhampir
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
pretty much that SD emunand is locked to the device that it was made on...

but I also don't want to lose all my saves etc, which is why I was hoping to use the same emunand.
or you can export your save files using sdvt or save manager when you want to play on device 'B'.

HyoImowano

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dang, I didn't realize how locked in the EmuNAND was. Good call with the save managers, but what about Mii Plaza data? Has anyone tried changing EmuNAND region then doing a system transfer?

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang, I didn't realize how locked in the EmuNAND was. Good call with the save managers, but what about Mii Plaza data? Has anyone tried changing EmuNAND region then doing a system transfer?
I'm not 100% on this, but I believe I've heard attempting a systemtransfer from a first unit's emunand to a second unit's emunand results in the system transfer ending up on the second system's sysnand.

I may be wrong, but this is why in my previous post I described the unlikely scenario of systemtransfering from an emunand to a sysnand and attempting to clone the sysnand to emunand.
But again, I don't think this would work and achieve the results you desire unless all you are trying to transfer are legit cia, and I doubt save data would make it across.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not 100% on this, but I believe I've heard attempting a systemtransfer from a first unit's emunand to a second unit's emunand results in the system transfer ending up on the second system's sysnand.

I may be wrong, but this is why in my previous post I described the unlikely scenario of systemtransfering from an emunand to a sysnand and attempting to clone the sysnand to emunand.
But again, I don't think this would work and achieve the results you desire unless all you are trying to transfer are legit cia, and I doubt save data would make it across.
It does boot into sysNAND, but the transfer process just resumes once you go into emuNAND again. At least that's what happened when I did sysNAND -> emuNAND ^^

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does boot into sysNAND, but the transfer process just resumes once you go into emuNAND again. At least that's what happened when I did sysNAND -> emuNAND ^^
Good to hear they made it to the correct destination, but were they legitimate signed files you were transferring from the sysnand?

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Good to hear they made it to the correct destination, but were they legitimate signed files you were transferring from the sysnand?
Yeah, but even non-legit ones should work the same way since everything in the Nintendo 3DS folder will be associated with the new system. Anyway, that aside, I'm not all that certain about transferring to a region-swapped emuNAND.

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but even non-legit ones should work the same way since everything in the Nintendo 3DS folder will be associated with the new system. Anyway, that aside, I'm not all that certain about transferring to a region-swapped emuNAND.
Not to spread misinformation on the topic, as I really haven't messed with system transferring myself, but unsigned cia's don't show up on a nonelevated sysnand.
Considering unsigned title's are noticeably unsigned, couldn't the system transfer process flag these titles and stop them from transferring?

Again, not to spread misinformation as I really don't know, but I've heard hearsay this was the case in these instances.

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
NAND contains unique identification.
So directly using emuNAND-A on 3DS-B is always NO.
If you know how to bypass the identification, you can make your emuNAND-A contents work on 3DS-B.

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't you decrypt the contents of a NAND and encrypt it for a different NAND?

Anyway, I can't really think of a reason why you'd want to do this: If you have homebrew access, you could use svdt on the 10.5 OFW sysnand to extract your saves to import in the CFW'd 3ds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol