Hacking Question emuMMC, RAW1, and you

Sperry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all, I'm trying to get a better understanding of SD card file/partition layout. For this thread, please assume a "standard" set up of one FAT32 partition with Atmosphere, NROs, etc. and one "emuMMC" partition, not readable by any standard computer software. Regarding this set up, I have 3 closely related questions:

1. I had been assuming, incorrectly, that all NSP installs, saved games, etc. would be being placed on the unreadable partition. However, I just recently realized that in fact they are being installed to SDCard:\RAW1\Nintendo. So, what exactly does the unreadable partition contain?

2. When installing NSPs via Goldleaf, it asks where you want to install them to (SD card or Console memory). I have always chosen SD Card. Where would installing to console memory go? Would that maybe be installed to the unreadable partition?

3. My SDCard:\RAW1\Nintendo folder is about 36GB. Obviously, that's more than the 32GB of console space reported. My console (running emuMMC) says it has only about 24GB of space being used. If I were to guess, it seems like the RAW1 folder is maybe everything that I've ever installed (with nothing deleted)? If so, would it be considered a good idea to try and figure out what the contents of SDCard:\RAW1\Nintendo\Contents\registered are and delete them as desired?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello all, I'm trying to get a better understanding of SD card file/partition layout. For this thread, please assume a "standard" set up of one FAT32 partition with Atmosphere, NROs, etc. and one "emuMMC" partition, not readable by any standard computer software. Regarding this set up, I have 3 closely related questions:

1. I had been assuming, incorrectly, that all NSP installs, saved games, etc. would be being placed on the unreadable partition. However, I just recently realized that in fact they are being installed to SDCard:\RAW1\Nintendo. So, what exactly does the unreadable partition contain?

2. When installing NSPs via Goldleaf, it asks where you want to install them to (SD card or Console memory). I have always chosen SD Card. Where would installing to console memory go? Would that maybe be installed to the unreadable partition?

3. My SDCard:\RAW1\Nintendo folder is about 36GB. Obviously, that's more than the 32GB of console space reported. My console (running emuMMC) says it has only about 24GB of space being used. If I were to guess, it seems like the RAW1 folder is maybe everything that I've ever installed (with nothing deleted)? If so, would it be considered a good idea to try and figure out what the contents of SDCard:\RAW1\Nintendo\Contents\registered are and delete them as desired?
RAW1 contains the SD card data. The emuNAND itself is on a hidden partition. Both are on the SD card so if you want to use all the available space, install to "console memory" as well.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Sperry

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

1. The partition is the internal memory of your emuMMC. Installing any content to the SD card regardless if its emuMMC or sysMMC will always be on the SD card, more specifically the Nintendo folder
  2. Read my above point. There is no right nor wrong place to install content
  3. No because as explained earlier, the contents of the Nintendo folder contain anything installed to the SD card. The space your console reports being used is whatever is being taken up by the internal memory

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But instead, advertising cheap turntable styluses that claim to reduce hiss and noise.