Emulators vs VC

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Luriden, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Luriden
    OP

Luriden GBAtemp Fan

Sep 23, 2008
    United States
    Topeka, KS
    Not counting the N64 games since you really don't have much of a choice, but for NES, SNES, and Genesis, do you prefer having the WADs for the VC channels or just using an emulator?

I enjoy having easy access to my favorite games via channels, but for some reason the screen is really dark for all VC games, including N64 games. I tried a Kirby's Adventure wad and it had a really dark tint to it, yet the rom plays fine. Anyone else have this problem?

And when/if Wii64 is ever full speed, will you stick with the wads you have or move on to using the emulator instead?

2. Nayr Rosfar

Nayr Rosfar White Knight

Aug 30, 2008
    United States
    Wherever the next link takes me.
    I prefer emulators, since you have to pay to get VC games legally and installing the wad with the wad installer runs the risk of bricking your wii emus are generally the better way to go. Just wait for Wii64 to have full framerate.

3. kedest

kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 6, 2007
    Netherlands
    Emulators all the way for me.
    I don't like messing around with the Wii's NAND too much (Yes I know installing wads is considered to be safe)
    And I like the extra features. Like save state support and remapping the controls.

4. ciper

ciper GBAtemp Regular

Jun 6, 2007
    United States
    If you want to play a game that has not been released on VC the only choices are injected roms or emulators. I personally feel the current rom injection tools/methods are crap at best.

5. Midna

Midna Banned

Banned
    Apr 13, 2008
    Albania
    I like emulators. you get features like save states, any control scheme, the games don't have to be injected, and there's over all just more options.

6. Luriden
    OP

Luriden GBAtemp Fan

Sep 23, 2008
    United States
    Topeka, KS
    Do you guys load the emulators from The Homebrew Channel or do you install seperate channels for every emulator? I didn't know you could make channels for every emulator until today. Pretty cool, but then I'd be fiddling with hacked WADs again which I'm trying to stay away from.

7. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Nov 27, 2006
    London
    console emulators, one reason being is on the xbox i can play snes games at 720p, you can't do that on the wii, also customise buttons, save states, and messing around with cheats also.

8. OSW

OSW Wii King

Former Staff
    Oct 30, 2006
    Most games i play with emulators, but a special few have their own channel [​IMG]

9. r9delta

r9delta Banned

Banned
    May 17, 2008
    United States
    Genesis and SNES I stick with the emulators. N64 I stick with WADs obviously. NES I don't play enough but if I did I would stick with WADs until a better emulator comes along that doesn't have problems with the sound.

10. ciper

ciper GBAtemp Regular

Jun 6, 2007
    United States
  11. g4jek8j54

g4jek8j54 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 30, 2007
    United States
    I think that the emulators are better. They provide a lot more features, and are more customizable than the Virtual Console emulators.