Emulation Emulators running on Nintendo Switch..

bluefox9er

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi..I am thinking of having a go at some emulation on my modded switch. I'd like to know which emulators run well on the switch or if I should just go with retroarch and hope for the best?

The systems I am mostly interested in are

1. Gameboy Advance, Gameboy and Gameboy Colour
2. Supernintendo/NES
3. Genesis/Megadrive.

I'd love to add n64. MAME and PS1 but I am not really interested in hit and miss emulation.

Would I best off using retroarch or can you recommend individual emulators to run as stand alone apps....if so, which ones?

Many thanks!

Andorin

Trophies
XP
Country
France
HI mate.
I am approximately the same as you.

I play a lot of Game Boy, GBA, SNES, NES, PS1 and N64 games.

Here are my observations;

For GB, GBC, GBA and SNES, just go RetroArch. RetroArch for Switch is the best for those systems.

According to PS1 and N64: Forget RetroArch and I would even say, forget the Switch. Go Android.

I have 2 SD Cards. One for my cracked Switch with RetroArch, and one dedicated to Android.
I installed Android on my Switch and put PS1 and N64 emulators on it. And it is PERFECT.

I tried to play PS1 through RetroArch or dedicated ps1 emulator for switch: It was catastrophic. Same for N64.

BUT

I installed PS1 Emulator for Android (Duckstation) on my Android for Switch, and it works perfectly.
I repeat it. Perfectly.

Same for N64, even though it's a bit laggy sometimes.

Forget N64 and PS1 directly on Switch.

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
HI mate.
I am approximately the same as you.

I play a lot of Game Boy, GBA, SNES, NES, PS1 and N64 games.

Here are my observations;

For GB, GBC, GBA and SNES, just go RetroArch. RetroArch for Switch is the best for those systems.

According to PS1 and N64: Forget RetroArch and I would even say, forget the Switch. Go Android.

I have 2 SD Cards. One for my cracked Switch with RetroArch, and one dedicated to Android.
I installed Android on my Switch and put PS1 and N64 emulators on it. And it is PERFECT.

I tried to play PS1 through RetroArch or dedicated ps1 emulator for switch: It was catastrophic. Same for N64.

BUT

I installed PS1 Emulator for Android (Duckstation) on my Android for Switch, and it works perfectly.
I repeat it. Perfectly.

Same for N64, even though it's a bit laggy sometimes.

Forget N64 and PS1 directly on Switch.
Psx is near perfect and 95% of n64 is more than playable, it's either your settings or your core.

If you're going to go Android or lakka you might as well use a tablet, it isn't even a switch anymore.

Just sort your settings out.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi..I am thinking of having a go at some emulation on my modded switch. I'd like to know which emulators run well on the switch or if I should just go with retroarch and hope for the best?

The systems I am mostly interested in are

1. Gameboy Advance, Gameboy and Gameboy Colour
2. Supernintendo/NES
3. Genesis/Megadrive.

I'd love to add n64. MAME and PS1 but I am not really interested in hit and miss emulation.

Would I best off using retroarch or can you recommend individual emulators to run as stand alone apps....if so, which ones?

Many thanks!
Mame = FinalBurn Neo (retroarch)
N64 = ParaLLEl N64 (lakka)
Ps1= Swanstation/Duckstation (lakka)
GBA = MGBA (retroarch)
GB/GBC= Sameboy (retroarch)
SNES = Bsnes (retroarch)
NES = Mesen (retroarch)
Genesis = Genesis Plus GX (retroarch)

Andorin

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Psx is near perfect and 95% of n64 is more than playable, it's either your settings or your core.

If you're going to go Android or lakka you might as well use a tablet, it isn't even a switch anymore.

Just sort your settings out.

Sorry mate, but how did you get good emulation for PSX ? Tried everything, never got as good as it is through Android.

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Sorry mate, but how did you get good emulation for PSX ? Tried everything, never got as good as it is through Android.
What's your definition of "good"? Rearmed core in HOS handles the majority of the psx library absolutely fine with slight 1.2-1.5 CPU OC depending on dithering settings. I'm not saying its the best way to play psx cause pcsx rearmed lacks res scaling and a lot of other visual enhancers and tweaks (unlike duckstation/swanstation), but its fullspeed and for sure playable if you want HOS psx experience. If you want the best psx experience tho, go for lakka/android, yeah, but for the majority of ppl HOS ReArmed core would be enough i'm pretty sure.

Andorin

Trophies
XP
Country
France
What's your definition of "good"? Rearmed core in HOS handles the majority of the psx library absolutely fine with slight 1.2-1.5 CPU OC depending on dithering settings. I'm not saying its the best way to play psx cause pcsx rearmed lacks res scaling and a lot of other visual enhancers and tweaks (unlike duckstation/swanstation), but its fullspeed and for sure playable if you want HOS psx experience. If you want the best psx experience tho, go for lakka/android, yeah, but for the majority of ppl HOS ReArmed core would be enough i'm pretty sure.

I'm from the PSP/PSVITA scene. I like when PSX emulation is near perfect haha !
So yeah, I play PSX through Android.

The_Chaotician

Hoist the Colours!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ePSXe on Android is another solid option. I havent found any issues with it so far.

Regarding N64 Emulation i'd recommend the Mupen Core on Android too. It has a far better UI than retroarch and supports Widescreen, Transfer Pak compaibility and Hi Res Textures.

Reactions: BrandonSWITCH

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no it is objectively not, tho it's worse than duckstation for sure
compare the two and even the loading speed alone is subpar. thats not even mentioning the lack of HD resolution which pcsx rearmed is slower even without it. don't even get me started on the buggy audio and missing effects (ff7 swirl for example)

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
you want dramatic you and your constant "MUST US HOS OR ITS JUST A SHITTY TABLET" is a good example. and yes it is beyond horrible
It is a shitty tablet if you aren't using horizon? And horrible is what you would call dolphin running on horizon, rearmed is more than playable.. sorry you need 4k upscaling so you can see cloud's pores but horrible is not the right word

Keriam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, just to confirm : best & only available ps1 emulator is Retroarch ? Too bad, there is no enhanced feature : games are so vanilla (world of pixels) ! 🙃

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hello, just to confirm : best & only available ps1 emulator is Retroarch ? Too bad, there is no enhanced feature : games are so vanilla (world of pixels) ! 🙃
Use lakka or android if you are so eager to play with upscaling. There's only pcsx ReArmed core available for HOS, but in lakka/android you can use duckstation which performs much better and has a lot more features like upscaling and geometry correction.

Reactions: BrandonSWITCH

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo