Emulator questions

Discussion in 'Android' started by Sora de Eclaune, Jan 15, 2012.

Jan 15, 2012

Emulator questions by Sora de Eclaune at 7:14 AM (1,416 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    I'm thinking of getting the SNESoid emulator on my Next7p Android tablet, but I have a few questions.

--How good does it run with these games?
    • Seiken Densetsu 3 (+ Translation)
    • The Adventures of Hourai High (+ Translation)
    • Tales of Phantasia (+ Translation)
    • Treasure of the Rudras (+ Translation)
    • Earthbound
    • The Legend of Zelda: Parallel Worlds (Fan Hack)
    --Is the virtual controller any good?
    --Does the game orientate with the screen?
    --Is the emulator's screen size size-locked to certain platforms, or will it zoom to fit the device you're using?
    --Would multiplayer be possible if I could find someone with the same version of a game and the same tablet I'm using?
    --Can you use savestates?
    --What's the average size of the emulator and one game together?

Edit) SHOOT! The title was a tentative title I put as a placeholder while I was thinking of what to put for this post's body! Can someone change it to 'Emulator Questions'?
    Edit2) Thank you.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    The virtual controller isn't to bad, it's playable. There is a setting to change the screen preferences if needed and you can change the scale of the game to stretch to the screen. I don't think multiplayer was ever introduced, if it has I have no idea. Save states are available. The emulator itself is pretty small, around 1-3mb (Don't remember exactly) The game depends on the game obviously, the size could range anywhere from 10mb (Star Ocean) to 100kb (Space invaders)

3. Quietlyawesome94

Member Quietlyawesome94 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Snesoid is my favorite snes emulator on Android. Only game on your list I've tried is Earthbound, which plays perfect.

Btw, You can also use a Wii remote, Wiimote + Classic Controller, and a PS3 Dualshock/sixaxis.

4. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Most of those games you listed should work fine (except for maybe the first one, which I googled and found people complaining about it). But I don't really know how good the virtual controller is because I have an Xperia Play. I tried it though, it's kinda iffy. If you're used to virtual controllers though, you shouldn't have any problems with it.
    Also, you can multiplayer with any Android device. But don't expect full-speed emulation if you're using bluetooth.

5. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    I was worried about speed issues. I generally like the games I get to play at exactly or near full speed. So Seiken Densetsu 3 has problems... well shoot. I was only going to have one game at a time because I don't yet have an SD card (my brother took his to use with his new tablet), and SD3 was going to be my first choice.

I'm not too worried about controllers or anything of the sort. I'll just be using the virtual controller as I don't want to spend too much time trying to figure out bluetooth and all of that.

6. Giggtysword344

Member Giggtysword344 I want some Scum Nyums

United States
    Parallel worlds runs pretty well with SNESoid.

7. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    What about supergnes with Seiken Densetsu 3? The compatibility list gave it a 5 star for emulation, but I couldn't find anything else about it.

8. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    The emulator that should give you the highest compatibility is SNES9x EX. Speed also shouldn't be an issue. A quick Google search finds that it's been updated to work with Seiken Densetsu 3.
    It's probably the best Android SNES emulator out there. The only reason I don't use it is because I use yongzh's other emulators and want my SNES emulator to match them.

9. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    Well, as my DS can run most of the other systems I want to play games on, I really don't need any other handheld emulators.. Just the one. And consistency isn't an issue for me.

Also, question on the SNES9x EX page.

If the screen's the only thing that's touch-receptive, how do you touch off the screen?

10. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Maybe they meant off the game's screen boundaries.

11. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    Oh. That makes a lot more sense than tapping a part that is not the screen and expecting it to do something.

12. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    I'm assuming that they want you to play in proper 4:3 or 8:7 ratio, and that'd mean you hit the cursor button by touching the black bars on the sides.

13. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    ...and yet SNES9x EX still has slowdown problems with StarFox.