Status
Not open for further replies.

chalupabatman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if my terminology is a bit off here, but essentially what I was wanting to know is if a CF has been released that will allow you to play the "retro" games on the switch such as ROMS from the NES/SNES etc?

I have a raspberry pi which I use emulation station with which is why I dubbed the title as such.

bones123

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
oh my god. See the sticky at the top of the board? That says "ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE"?

No. Do even the tiniest bit of research for yourself. There are no custom firmwares released yet. Yes, there are emulators that are playable through the Homebrew Launcher on lower firmwares. Just calm down, if you're asking these questions, the answers are gonna be no. You'll know when they're available, threads will be made.

Sayora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's been a new method to boot the homebrew launcher on 4.x and 5.x and that can play emulators. So I guess that counts?

Reactions: chalupabatman

PonyStation4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh my god. See the sticky at the top of the board? That says "ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE"?

No. Do even the tiniest bit of research for yourself. There are no custom firmwares released yet. Yes, there are emulators that are playable through the Homebrew Launcher on lower firmwares. Just calm down, if you're asking these questions, the answers are gonna be no. You'll know when they're available, threads will be made.

You shouldn't give them the answer, you're just promoting poor behavior.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's been a new method to boot the homebrew launcher on 4.x and 5.x and that can play emulators. So I guess that counts?
Not really. Most emulators are currently made with libtransistor, which doesn't seem to work with 4.x+. Currently most homebrew won't work with hekate 5.0.

chalupabatman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Excellent! I am not sure what firmware version I am on...probably one of the higher ones, as I play Splatoon 2 and Lego Worlds but maybe it is still exploitable (is that a word?) LOL

MikeTheKnight2016

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@chalupabatman -> be cautious when asking questions that quickly have the answer found from utilizing the search feature on this site.

As @Darth Meteos -> stated you are poking the bear when creating a new thread for something that should have been posted in the NOOB stickied/pinned thread.

If you have not already learned you will quickly see some users on here have NO tolerance for users posting questions that have already been answered, while others are more willing to assist but provide guidance on how to handle/react/search the next time you are asking a "Noob" question.

I will bid you adieu with one final piece of advice.....
The search feature on this site is your friend, and MOST questions that you might want to ask have probably already been asked and received an answer.

Enjoy the forums mate!

WiiHomebrew+Snes

Member of GBAtemp's shadow district
Trophies
Website
www.lucar.io
XP
Country
United States

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What can be done about these countless threads?
Do we need more moderators?
Do threads created by people with less than 1000 posts (although that's no good indicator as it seems) need to be approved by moderators before they appear?

It's sad that we even have to think about these things.

Reactions: Darth Meteos

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Too bad that method requires dinking around with the joycons, so not everyone wants to risk damaging their hardware. Wish there was a safe, softmod method for 4.x.x consoles.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So wait....
if retroarch can be installed on our switch, then couldn't emulation station be installed as well?
I hesitate to say yes. Theoretically, yes. As someone with only barebones knowledge of homebrew and emulation on consoles, the ins and outs of making this stuff work is all but magic 'n' witchcraft to me, and it probably is best to think of it as such, it'll inform what you ask/expect of developers, who are doing this stuff for free.

TL;DR: It's no small feat to get these things onto console homebrew.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So wait....
if retroarch can be installed on our switch, then couldn't emulation station be installed as well?
Seemshow emulation station is Linux based, and we can currently run Linux, yes it's theoretically possible. Someone would just need to build it for switch and include drivers (some of which currently don't exist, ie joycon)

Reactions: chalupabatman

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too bad that method requires dinking around with the joycons, so not everyone wants to risk damaging their hardware. Wish there was a safe, softmod method for 4.x.x consoles.
I use a paperclip I mocked up with tweezers. Others have used copper wire. If you aren't rough with the console and have a torch, it's pretty reliable. I can get into RCM two out of every three times. I heard people snapped their pins, but I don't see how they managed that unless they were jamming it in roughly.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use a paperclip I mocked up with tweezers. Others have used copper wire. If you aren't rough with the console and have a torch, it's pretty reliable. I can get into RCM two out of every three times. I heard people snapped their pins, but I don't see how they managed that unless they were jamming it in roughly.

I shouldn't have to do any kind of thing like that, softmods should be viable on later firmware, at least that isn't as risky. Usually. I don't see there ever being such a method, so I may as well move on and update to the latest firmware.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see there ever being such a method, so I may as well move on and update to the latest firmware.
Whoa there, man. Apparently, on 3.x to 4.1 you only need to get into RCM once to install, then it's installed, but on 5.0.x you'll need to do it after each restart. Probably best not to update if you don't want to be screwing around with the pins every time.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoa there, man. Apparently, on 3.x to 4.1 you only need to get into RCM once to install, then it's installed, but on 5.0.x you'll need to do it after each restart. Probably best not to update if you don't want to be screwing around with the pins every time.

I don't trust myself to do the RCM method, as I don't exactly have the financial means to getting a new Switch should something go wrong. I'm saying that there should be a softmod method on 4.x.x, RCM sounds too risky and well, the scene's still new and emulators aren't even fully optimized. Since I'm picky about emulators, I'll have to wait. I'm on 4.1.0 right now, I'm just saying softmod methods would be safer, I don't see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i always pee in the water