Emulating versus the real deal

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Qtis, Dec 13, 2011.

Dec 13, 2011

Emulating versus the real deal by Qtis at 8:20 PM (615 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Qtis
    OP

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Hello guys and girls!

I've been thinking of buying an extension bay for my PS2 and modding it and softmodding my Wii. Now that I've looked at alternatives on the great seas of the internet, I've come across a few things:

Dolphin Gamecube/Wii emulator. How does it fare with Gamecube games? Personally wouldn't play Wii games on it, but since I don't want to damage my old GC discs by playing them on the Wii, I'd prefer using the emulator.

PCSX2 emulator. How does it fare with PS2 games? Apparently games like FFXII run a lot smoother and with better fps and higher resolution. Basically really asking this because of the said game (and probably FFX/FFX-2), which runs at abysmal speed (ie load times) on the original PS2 phat I have (just the old console, no mods).

Using a 2010 15" MacBook Pro with 8Gb RAM and Intel Core i7 processor. Probably smarter to run the emulator on the Windows 7 partition, but this is one of the question regarding it. I've ordered a PS2 to USB adapter for my PS2 controllers (heck I could probably use my PS3 Sixaxis, but I'd rather not). Which would you recommend, Mac OS X or Windows 7?

-Qtis

ps. Tried to explain what I wanted, but kinda in a hurry. I'll add more info if needed.. Also I don't have a FMCB enabled memory card for the PS2. I do on the other hand have quite a few old memory cards (PS1/PS2).

2. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Dolphin works well with some graphical issues here or there. Look at the Dolphin Emulator website for compatibility lists and such

PCSX2 is really CPU dependent, but seeing as have you an Intel i7 you should be just fine. FFX runs at 60fps for me and I only have an i3 with a GeForce 440, anything you have should be just fine. I usually get the high FPS almost 24/7 with some slowdowns in some of the bigger areas but it is definitely playable through them. FFXII I'm not 100% sure on, haven't played it yet. Check the PCSX2 Forums for more info on compatibility and performance.

As for playing it on Mac VS Windows, I think the Windows version is much more optimized than the Mac OS X version, but I have no idea cuz I don't use Mac. So try Windows first.

EDIT: As for loading times they are SO much better than using original discs. When playing on PCSX2 and Dolphin both load so much faster than original discs so you should have no slow loading time problems.

3. jefffisher

Member jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    dolphin plays nearly every gamecube and wii game i've ever tried perfectly, but the wii doesn't hurt original discs at all so i don't get your reasoning.

ps2 i don't know anything about.

4. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Uhh...when reading the discs, both the laser and the disc can get worn out/scratched.

5. Qtis
    OP

Antarctica
    Sure it doesn't hurt it, but using the drive wears it out in the end (although I have a 3 year warranty on it). Also I'd need to get a new GC controller since the old one broke after a few intense sessions of SSBM..

I've been thinking of the softmod for the Wii mainly because I wouldn't need to carry my laptop and hook it up every time. Also the compatibility of Wii games on the console is better than emulated (AFAIK). But on the other hand there seems to be some kind of HD resolution rendering possible for the emulator? Well I'll have to start setting up the emulator once my PS2 to USB cable arrives. Is there any easy way of making the original GC controller work with a PC without making the adapter part? I may end up getting a new controller if it works with Wii games without an adapter (ie. from the GC ports).

EDIT: :ninja: 'd

6. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I've never seen any of my Wii discs get scratched. I've only seen that on Xbox 360 and PS2. Even so, I find it much easier to play on a softmodded Wii and a USB loader than Dolphin, but that's only because I never tried motion controlled games on Dolphin, only standard button games and GC games.

PS2 emulation I've never got working well for some reason. Then again, I've not tried for a few years, so I imagine the coding should be a little better optimised now.

7. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    I prefer having the real deal.

But for emulation it can be fun on other consoles or for a quick play when you're not at home.

All my disc based consoles don't scratch the gamediscs, nor did they.
    As long as keep your fingers off the console when it's in use you should be fine.

8. Qtis
    OP

Antarctica
    (some games were bought used and are already a bit scratched :( )..

I'll be hitting the emu on the laptop and softmodding the Wii with a USB loader. AFAIK GC games can't be loaded from the HDD? Well I'll keep to Dolphin with that in that case, but I'll have to see how the PS2 emu runs on this laptop. If it's good enough, I may play some games on this than the original PS2 (with a TV of course).

This whole issue came into play because of FFXII being so hard on the system and since my gaming time is pretty limited because of Uni, I'd like to play instead of wait when I have a chance :P

Thanks to all answers here, I'll probably ask some new questions once I get to the installing phase. Aaah the feeling of not knowing exactly what to expect, gotta love emus and homebrew :creep:

9. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    GC games can be booted from a SD Gecko via swiss.
    It supports SDHC so you're in luck.

You could made a EXI to HDD adapter but it involves complicated soldering.

Just search the forums for Swiss and you can buy a SD Gecko for a buck or 3 at Deal Extreme

10. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    If I can get PS2 emulation working, then there's no reason you can't get it working, Originality.

11. Saken

Member Saken GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    These are my key PC specs:

Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.6Ghz
    2 x GTX570
    8GB RAM

And i can play any game (that is playable) perfectly fine.
    In fact, i prefer it on the PC, because PCSX2 allows me to play them in higher resolutions. So i play them at 6x the native res, and it appears in full HD, and i can play them at full speed, no slowdowns whatsoever.
    In short, if you have a good PC, you can play PS2 games on the PC and enjoy them MUCH more than if you were to play it on a TV, where because of the low resolution it wouldn't appear as good as what it would on the emulator.

By the way, i haven't tried FFX or FFX-2, however i would probably say those run like a dream too because the developers concentrate most on the good games (making the compatible 100%).

12. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    @Raven, I'd have to try again first. It would probably work on my dual-core 3.8Ghz setup, but the biggest obstacle is always finding the time and effort to try,

@Saken, FFX-2 was good? I couldn't get over how every chapter just reeked of fan service.
    EDIT: to add, I loved FFX. I just couldn't push myself to finish X-2 after chapter 6.

13. Saken

Member Saken GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Just because you thought it wasn't good, doesn't mean it wasn't.

I haven't played it so i can't say anything, but i've heard quite a bit about FFX, less so about FFX-2.

Naturally, if they are going to make FFX playable (the one i heard was good), they will also make FFX-2 playable.
    This is a bit off-topic, so i don't see why we should be nit-picky about it.

14. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States

:lol: