Emulate amiibo

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by phanteon, Nov 2, 2014.

1. phanteon
    OP

phanteon GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    United States
    Hi. Would it be possible to emulate an amiibo using a NFC capable smartphone or device.?

Read/write the info in the amiibo with a smartphone?

2. filfat

filfat Musician, Developer & Entrepreneur

Nov 24, 2012
    "NFL" Hmm haven't heard about a phone with such a feature... :P

3. phanteon
    OP

phanteon GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    United States
    New phone. The autocorrect feature doesn't seem to be used to me so far XD
    I meant NFC

filfat likes this.
  4. elmoemo

elmoemo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 4, 2012
    Not unless you can code, no public way to do this to my knowledge

5. WulfyStylez

WulfyStylez SALT/Bemani Princess

Nov 3, 2013
    United States
    Almost definitely yes, but you'll probably only be able to dump and swap tags. The data on them will more than likely be encrypted with a common key that we won't have for a while. Also Nintendo will likely pull a Skylanders, so don't expect to be able to have any tutorials or anything on how to do this.

6. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    [​IMG]
    There's an entire library (actually 2, NFC and NTAG) in the SDK to use it :|

7. WulfyStylez

WulfyStylez SALT/Bemani Princess

Nov 3, 2013
    United States
    I know? That's why I said what I said.

EDIT: Also looking, what I said was right. Nintendo's tag format uses HMAC and encryption to prevent tampering. Also cloning tags could be an issue due to unique IDs

NWPlayer123 likes this.
  8. niño de cobre

niño de cobre Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2013
    Cote d'Ivoire
    so dumping nfc data from amiibos is useless cause they have unique id?

9. Wildblood

Wildblood Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    Greece
    This was discussed in a recent thread (http://gbatemp.net/threads/possible-to-hack-amiibo.373149)

Short answer: no. NFC isn't a simple wireless barcode. The best way to imagine the amiibo is as a very weak, low-powered computer. When it comes close to an NFC reader, the reader transmits enough electricity to it, wirelessly, to turn it on. Then, they start talking to each other. Since they are both computers, the information can be encrypted (very well). The only way to decrypt it, is to know the keys.

This isn't entirely accurate, but it's close enough that you get an idea of how hard it will be to hack, and also why you shouldn't expect to just scan it with your phone, then use your phone instead of an amiibo. Also I'm not sure if they use commonly accepted standards, or have any propriety ones. If they have propriety ones, then in all likelihood your phone wouldn't be able to emulate them, without a never-to-come firmware upgrade to your phone's NFC driver. To put this simply - the NFC language Nintendo uses, might not be the commonly-accepted language. It's like your phone speaks the international language of English, but the amiibo is programmed to only speak Klingon - and this is at the hardware-firmware level, so you can't download an app to translate for you.

If someone feels I'm wrong about anything, please feel free to correct me.

niño de cobre likes this.