Homebrew Question Empty "switch" folder

ticondrius99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
First of all, I'm a real noob. I'm sorry if I'll use incorrect terminology.
Last year I managed to install CFW onto my Nintendo Switch. Never really had any issues - up until today.

I was playing Pokèmon Emerald via a GBA Emulator (a .nro file). Then, I went to the main menu and opened up settings.
Here, it said that my MicroSD had 2TB of free space - while its maximum capacity is 64GB.
From there, I tried to open up gallery images - trying to delete a screenshot and see if it fixed it - but the Homebrew page opened up saying: "No files were found in the switch folder".

I turned the system off and put my SD onto my computer to check - and it seemed that everything was gone!
The files in the root of the SD (although the hbmenu.nro was still there) and the switch folder's contents were empty!
Luckily, it said that there were 30GB of free space onto it - more or less (I don't quite remember) what it was before the problem.
Is it a formatting problem? If so - I'm sorry for my ignorance - how should I proceed?
Thank you very much in advance, everyone!!

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You might face a corruption issue due to using homebrew on a exFAT formatted SD card. Normally FAT32 is the way to go.

ticondrius99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you for your fast response!
The fact is, I never had this kind of problem before...
Anyhow, should I format it to FAT32 even though I handle files bigger than 4GB?
Could something - or everything! - have been deleted permanently?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you for your fast response!
The fact is, I never had this kind of problem before...
Anyhow, should I format it to FAT32 even though I handle files bigger than 4GB?
Could something - or everything! - have been deleted permanently?
By files bigger than 4GB, do you mean nsp files for game installation? These can be installed via USB connection, so don't worry about it. Your SD card being corrupted, not sure you can salvage anything, unfortunately. It's untrustworthy. You should probably start from scratch, and reformat to FAT32.

ticondrius99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
By files bigger than 4GB, do you mean nsp files for game installation? These can be installed via USB connection, so don't worry about it. Your SD card being corrupted, not sure you can salvage anything, unfortunately. It's untrustworthy. You should probably start from scratch, and reformat to FAT32.

Thank you so much for your kind help!
Yes, I was thinking of NSPs; I'll install them through USB. I reformatted and restored an old SD backup and everything is working.
Thank you again!

Reactions: Dust2dust

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte