EMERGENCY hard modded wii question!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ph_traum, Jul 6, 2010.

Jul 6, 2010
  1. ph_traum
    OP

Newcomer ph_traum Member

Russia
    I need to know that ASAP: Is it possible to install HBC on a hardmodded Wii to get Configurable USB loader and other homebrews like neogamma. Its chipped 3.3E capable of playing

It is marked EMERGENCY because now I have 2(TWO) Wiis and will have to give ONE of them back to the seller. The hardmodded will have to be updated and i don't know if I'll be able to run homebrews safely on a that one.

2. Paah

Newcomer Paah Member

Finland
    Yes, the modchip won't affect homebrew at all.

Be sure not to update through Nintendo or you get the 4.3, which is bad bad bad right now.

3. kimikal27

Member kimikal27 GBAtemp Maniac

Ireland
    as Paah says and he is correct, modchip will not affect homebrew at all

but, if the non-hardmodded one is in waranty id keep that one since at this point a modchip is useless in a wii cuz u can do everything just the same with softmod.

but yes, the one u keep, do NOT update through nintendo

4. ph_traum
    OP

Newcomer ph_traum Member

Russia
    Well, thanks for answers. From what I know they both were hard-modded, the thing is that the first chip simply did not support GC backups at all (though I'm not sure, I couldn't get in touch with the one who hacked it - modded Wiis come from a different city) Maybe I could eventually make them work through re/un/installing cIOSCORP/DARKCORP, sicnce i couldn't get them running through WiiGator's cMIOS or MIOS-patcher 0.2 (and I have no idea why that didn't work), but if bricked it while trying (no bootmii boot2 installation on a 4.0E), well, you can guess. Now I have a used wii with bus-bars coming from its second USB-port (from the chip apparently) with a 5 months less warranty but at the same time with an ability to run GC backups through Disc Channel and a 3.3E firmware which I most definetly not going to update until it becomes absolutely critical...
    I'm writing all this simply in case someone would find this information useful... And I'm going to read Complete Softmod Guide really thoroughly now.

Oh, and I'm thinking about buying a spare laser-drive until they all become unable to read DVD-R. How can I tell the difference between compatible and non-compatible drives? A model name, a registry numbers, where should I look?

5. Paah

Newcomer Paah Member

Finland
    Drives of model D3-2 and newer are not compatible.

And why are you keeping system menu 3.3?

6. ph_traum
    OP

Newcomer ph_traum Member

Russia
    My question: why would I want to update? The only benefit I've heard about is something about SD card memory management. I'm gonna go for Configurable USB-loader. It avoids disk-requested updates, I belive. Is that correct?

Besides, I have a chip which can get screwed via the update and since you can't downgrade back, I could end up screwed: remember I bought wii for GC support mostly and I couldn't get my first console to read them no matter what.

7. EseHomes

Banned EseHomes Banned

United States
    you can downgrade back, you just have to know what you are doing to not get bricked.

8. ph_traum
    OP

Newcomer ph_traum Member

Russia
    And then again, why risk so much?

9. Paah

Newcomer Paah Member

Finland
    Well, unless Nintendo is super lazy bums, I bet there are some behind the scenes benefits.

10. ph_traum
    OP

Newcomer ph_traum Member

Russia
    There is this joke from where I live (maybe it's international):
    A son comes to his father:
    - Dad, why does the sun rise in the east?
    - Sonny, are you sure?
    - Yes, I am?
    - Have you checked?
    - I have.
    - And are you fine with it?
    - Yes.
    - Then just make sure you don't touch anything...