Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DaveMode said:
soooo marcan...

I realize you are busy spending time replying to posts here.. but how about coding those usb 2.0 drivers?

I promise I would never even think of using said drivers to support piracy. In fact, I find the whole piracy scene to be outright reprehensible.

*right clicks utorrent system tray icon, selects "exit"*

ahem.. like I was saying. I simply am looking to connect a 700GB hard drive to my Wii for homebrew reasons. This hard drive will only be used to run various linux distros and will at no time have files with names like ssbb-wiierd.iso, rtc.
I don't think that the Wii would be able to handle much Linux.
I think they should make Arch Linux for Wii.
Very lightweight, pretty much the minimum which you build up from.
Linux noobs could maybe use Xubuntu?

DaveMode

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arm the Homeless said:
DaveMode said:
soooo marcan...

I realize you are busy spending time replying to posts here.. but how about coding those usb 2.0 drivers?

I promise I would never even think of using said drivers to support piracy. In fact, I find the whole piracy scene to be outright reprehensible.

ahem.. like I was saying. I simply am looking to connect a 700GB hard drive to my Wii for homebrew reasons. This hard drive will only be used to run various linux distros and will at no time have files with names like ssbb-wiierd.iso, rtc.

**swings hand over head and says "swooosh"**

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Marcan, I'm honestly not sure why you bother replying. Obviously they are just whining because they can't get their warez running at full speed and the blame has shifted to you. As much as I enjoy reading your replies, as I like intelligent discussion (although I don't care either way about piracy, and even dabble in it), this entire thread has derailed into trollbait. I can't see why you'd let it bother you that someone is using your connection to homebrew to justify their own want for easier piracy. I appreciate your work, and even thought there are a lot of idiots here, there are also alot of others here that also appreciate it, regardless of the dumb/brains ratio, and enjoy seeing your side of things.

Everyone else, seriously. Let it rest. When someone codes one and releases it. I'm sure it'll find its way here. Don't see why you're trying to bully others into doing the work for you.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DaveMode said:
Arm the Homeless said:
DaveMode said:
soooo marcan...

**swings hand over head and says "swooosh"**

ROFL x1000

FGOD

Wii gaming bitch
Trophies
Website
www.familievermeylen.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
GexX2 said:
Marcan, I'm honestly not sure why you bother replying. Obviously they are just whining because they can't get their warez running at full speed and the blame has shifted to you. As much as I enjoy reading your replies, as I like intelligent discussion (although I don't care either way about piracy, and even dabble in it), this entire thread has derailed into trollbait. I can't see why you'd let it bother you that someone is using your connection to homebrew to justify their own want for easier piracy. I appreciate your work, and even thought there are a lot of idiots here, there are also alot of others here that also appreciate it, regardless of the dumb/brains ratio, and enjoy seeing your side of things.

Everyone else, seriously. Let it rest. When someone codes one and releases it. I'm sure it'll find its way here. Don't see why you're trying to bully others into doing the work for you.

i think it is hopeless as marcan is pretty pissed of and he is sure right about it, but he can indead better let it rest...

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
DaveMode said:
soooo marcan...

lol, that made me chuckle, i tip my hat to you fine sir

skedone

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ marcan i can do better than that mate my hole website is about this subject, me and my mates where the ones who got ubisoft to stop using starforce plus many more things my web link is www.r-force.org all the reports are on there mate, there are for to many to quote here

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
skedone said:
@ marcan i can do better than that mate my hole website is about this subject, me and my mates where the ones who got ubisoft to stop using starforce plus many more things my web link is www.r-force.org all the reports are on there mate, there are for to many to quote here

lecture.gif

read the rules
Forum RulesMembers are not allowed to create topics or posts intended only to promote or advertise their own or any website(s) without staff permission.

skedone

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol i was answering a question and i see links to sites on here all the time mods feel free to edit my post but be asured that is just a news site with no links to anything BUT news articles

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
marcan said:
Hyperlisk_ said:
Then by being associated with homebrew, you are associated with piracy, no?
I am being associated with piracy because I helped with homebrew. Which is exactly why I'm pissed off. Note the slight but important distinction.

QUOTE(marcan @ Oct 10 2008, 10:30 AM) You can't avoid the fact that you helped exploit security flaws in the Wii which enabled people to write and execute custom code on the system. Nintendo didn't do that. You (along with the other people) did that.
So? Exploiting security flaws in my own store-bought system isn't a problem. The problem is when people piggyback on to that to pirate games. You claim that by exploiting the security flaws I enabled piracy. I claim that by making the Wii in the first place Nintendo enabled piracy. Neither of those is less true than the other. Just because someone did something that was a prerequisite for (some form of) piracy doesn't make them responsible for piracy. The people are responsible for piracy are those who take what already exists and make it into something specifically tailored to and designed for piracy.
im not bashing you, but as what went on at the last C3 (or was it year before), when the community of hackers has a goal(linux on consoles) the side effect was always piracy on every console, because there were them 2 groups those for linux and those for piracy. anyway the point is, that you must of known it would happen sooner or later. its just one of those things that happens. there are those(like me as you saw in my vids) that legitly backup there games. and buying a modchip to backup and play your games seems a bit to much for some users

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
We're not arguing with him so he'll help us, far from it. I'm arguing because I don't like his attitude. He treats people who pirate like scum.
Yes, it's wrong admittedly, and I'm trying to break the habit currently (I probably won't even use the ISO loader at this rate). But insulting everybody because his homebrew is being related to piracy is downright ignorant.

It was always going to happen, and if he's as clever as he says he is, he should've known that from the start. It's no use having a hissy fit because releasing his stuff on the internet caused it to get out of control. If he wanted to stop piracy from happening, he never should've released his stuff (though, of course, I'm glad he did).

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
linkinworm said:
anyway the point is, that you must of known it would happen sooner or later. its just one of those things that happens.

my only problem with that statement is,
IT is SO MUCH "one of those things"
that I don't know if that can really qualify as, "a point"
basically since consoles started having actual software instead of just bootloaders/kernels,
we've had softmods become available "somehow"
in this generation alone
the wii's came pretty early in its life, the 360 flashing came really early,
and supposedly the ps3 has been done now

so saying a console will get softmodded is almost like saying a console will get made

the thing that causes problems is peoples tools being used for it when they expressly desired them not to be

examples: nuke. marcan, bushing, etc....

its a problem a. because they don't support it, b. because it increases the number of inane requests they get for how to make the work that they don't support even "better."

also a note on piracy....you guys are delusional if you think 5% use whatever method to load their backups...a quick lesson on rate of growth for you:

lets be very generous and say it is actually:
70% pirated gamers
30% backup gamers (still illegal in the USA, but lets pretend its not)

so....we're starting with a 3 out of every 10 are good little kids, out of the gate when a softmod is released,
cuz they were waitin around for it, eyes open
but now we take into account newcomers, and they change everything:
maybe 6 out of those total 10 people, each tell about 11 people over the next few months, and 5-6 of those people they tell end up actually trying it themselves,
and MAYBE one (1) of those newbies only uses it for backups, the rest are like, "you don't have to pay for games? I'm buying a Wii!!" which does little for nintendo, cuz they dont make a lot off hardware.
The process continues with a percentage of those telling a number of people, and a small percentage of each generation, probably pretty consistently a single individual (1), will stick just to backups.
AT SUCH A RATE AS THIS,
you could easily start at 50-50 if you want to be ridiculous, and in almost no time at all, you would have reached 99.99999% piracy and some infintesimally small percentage of "legal" (keeping in mind its really not legal to play them, at least in the US)

so....debunked.

nitrotux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ppc_gba said:
i'm not sure that a usb 2.0 driver would help much until crediar/someone else makes a hdd iso loader application.

since making a new driver would probably require replacing the old one, maybe someone could post an approximation of the functions and their parameters/return types if possible so we could look at what needs to be coded.

it might still be the case that nintendo could offer this functionality in an upgrade, in which case our time would be better spent working on adding hdd/flash drive support to more apps or working on an hdd iso loader. I think such an iso loader would also require another modification to the ios, in the form of transferring the dvd read calls into hard disk read calls.

Once USB 2.0 drivers are ready (ie mass storage and filesystem driver), reworking the custom DVD IOS module used in the current backup loader for USB harddrive support is very straightforward and easy.

nitrotux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry but I doubt anyone here believes you will create a working USB 2.0 driver.

If you come here to ask for help, then you're in the wrong place - gbatemp is not a programming place, or even an intellectual place.

Asking for others to help you, makes it look like you don't quite know how to make these USB 2.0 drivers for Wii in the first place.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
nitrotux said:
Once USB 2.0 drivers are ready (ie mass storage and filesystem driver), reworking the custom DVD IOS module used in the current backup loader for USB harddrive support is very straightforward and easy.
It would be interesting to see that with 1.1, even if it would be very slow.

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
noobwarrior7 said:
linkinworm said:
anyway the point is, that you must of known it would happen sooner or later. its just one of those things that happens.

my only problem with that statement is,
IT is SO MUCH "one of those things"
that I don't know if that can really qualify as, "a point"
basically since consoles started having actual software instead of just bootloaders/kernels,
we've had softmods become available "somehow"
in this generation alone
the wii's came pretty early in its life, the 360 flashing came really early,
and supposedly the ps3 has been done now

so saying a console will get softmodded is almost like saying a console will get made

the thing that causes problems is peoples tools being used for it when they expressly desired them not to be

examples: nuke. marcan, bushing, etc....

its a problem a. because they don't support it, b. because it increases the number of inane requests they get for how to make the work that they don't support even "better."

also a note on piracy....you guys are delusional if you think 5% use whatever method to load their backups...a quick lesson on rate of growth for you:

lets be very generous and say it is actually:
70% pirated gamers
30% backup gamers (still illegal in the USA, but lets pretend its not)

so....we're starting with a 3 out of every 10 are good little kids, out of the gate when a softmod is released,
cuz they were waitin around for it, eyes open
but now we take into account newcomers, and they change everything:
maybe 6 out of those total 10 people, each tell about 11 people over the next few months, and 5-6 of those people they tell end up actually trying it themselves,
and MAYBE one (1) of those newbies only uses it for backups, the rest are like, "you don't have to pay for games? I'm buying a Wii!!" which does little for nintendo, cuz they dont make a lot off hardware.
The process continues with a percentage of those telling a number of people, and a small percentage of each generation, probably pretty consistently a single individual (1), will stick just to backups.
AT SUCH A RATE AS THIS,
you could easily start at 50-50 if you want to be ridiculous, and in almost no time at all, you would have reached 99.99999% piracy and some infintesimally small percentage of "legal" (keeping in mind its really not legal to play them, at least in the US)

so....debunked.
ummm what? i was saying that when someone breaks the security on a new console, there will always be that backup loader on that, as was shown at the last C3. why did you go into people who are legit on backups and crap. marcan was saying in a nutshell "im pissed off about piracy and backup loader blah blah blah" but he must of know after a while it would happen.

atomikramp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
marcan said:
skedone said:
lol so you have not been reading the reports from the G8 summit then if they pass the laws they are trying mate even your homebrew will be illegal along with a lot of things including linux in a fashion
Which would be the point where we start ignoring those laws because they'd be retarded. Sorry, but any law that limits what I can do with hardware that I bought without hurting anyone or committing copyright infringement is bollocks in my book.

Please quote those reports that you refer to.

damn you are right... laws in the US is damnly stupid..

EULA on hardware is an idiot thing... if i buy an hardware thing, it's mine, there's no way they can "give it to me in license of use"

but well, we don't have to be surprised about law stupidity in the US.. they still have a law wich sayis that "it's illegal to walk around with chipmunks in your pockets"

God bless America.

to get back in topik.

i don't see the point of flaming becouse someone said he wants to write an IOS Module to enable full speed USB 2.0 on wii.
and i don't get the point of flaming him just becouse he asked if someone was available to help him.

in the same way, if #wiidev operators decided to kick him, it's their own decision and there's no need to start a flame on this either.

anyone has different ideas, and the best thing is to respect each other opinion.

Team Twiizer (or how it's written) or bushing boys (?) decided to take their road to not get involved into anything directly related to piracy... and that's ok.
other ppl decided to work on a way to load backups.. good for them, we will see what they can do.

these ppl working on a backup loader doesn't have to pretend or even expect any help from team twiizer and bushing boys
but in the same way Team Twiizer and Bushing boys doesn't act good if they try in any way to ostacolate the work of others, even if they don't agree with them.
not getting involved MUST be enaugh.

Team Twiizer and Bushing boys btw, can't in anyway prevent other ppl from using their work and readapting it for their own purposes, since it's according to the GPL license.

sorry for my bad english
smile.gif

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
atomikramp said:
marcan said:
skedone said:
lol so you have not been reading the reports from the G8 summit then if they pass the laws they are trying mate even your homebrew will be illegal along with a lot of things including linux in a fashion
Which would be the point where we start ignoring those laws because they'd be retarded. Sorry, but any law that limits what I can do with hardware that I bought without hurting anyone or committing copyright infringement is bollocks in my book.

Please quote those reports that you refer to.

damn you are right... laws in the US is damnly stupid..

EULA on hardware is an idiot thing... if i buy an hardware thing, it's mine, there's no way they can "give it to me in license of use"

but well, we don't have to be surprised about law stupidity in the US.. they still have a law wich sayis that "it's illegal to walk around with chipmunks in your pockets"

God bless America.

Ah come on, that's not fair. There recent laws are far more stupid than the old ones. For example that one law that says if someone points at you and screams "terrorist" they can throw you in a concentration camp without you ever seeing a lawyer...

But seriously guys. This thread is not for arguing piracy or anything like this. Its for developing an USB 2.0 driver. So move along please, nothing to see here...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yummy yummy :rofl2: