EEEPC worth it?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Harsky, Sep 14, 2008.

Sep 14, 2008

EEEPC worth it? by Harsky at 1:18 AM (3,268 Views / 0 Likes) 31 replies

1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I do have a normal sized laptop but it has never left my room ever since I bought it so the chances of me taking it out on vacations or outside to browse is nil. I'm interested in those mini laptops so I can browse online when I'm out the house but the problem is now there seems to be a massive flood of them ranging from the well known brands to the unknown brands. Followed by the ones with 120gb hard drives to ones with 8gb flash drives and also ones that have Windows XP installed to ones with Linux. Is it even worth asking for one and if so, which one?

2. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
  3. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    MSI Wind >

4. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
  5. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Is there any real advantages of going for the SSD instead of the hard drives? I see 8gb SSD and I know that means I really have data manage carefully or constantly carry a USB pen.

6. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    From what I've heard, not really. The problem is that most of the EEEs have a slower SSDs (MLC) and some of them, I think the newer ones, have faster SSDs (SLC). Of course, this is under Windows, apparently in Linux MLC SSDs perform just fine.

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    "802.11n"
    Have they even finalised the spec yet, if not there is no way I could comfortably suggest someone buy something that uses it. Also G equates to around 45 mbit by the time all is said and done which is plenty fast enough for most internet connections (especially in the UK) and I can just about do with b for streaming typical xvid avi files.

"6-cell battery" means very little, need Ah ratings really to even think about comparing them (I want estimated charge cycles and more if I want to make more than a cursory opinion as well).

"SSD instead of the hard drives"
    Mainly power consumption, noise and the fact it could take a drop better.

"void your warranty"
    Since when does the general audience of GBAtemp care for warranties?

As it stands none of these types of machines have gone beyond, personally I would be inclined to get a PSP or whatever the GP and offshoots thereof people are doing these days if you luggable is not an outside machine.

8. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    It comes down to what you want to do with it

If you want to do just some surf around and office work even the eeePC 701 would be okay and it should just cost around 284 $!
    Ok the 7 inch screen may be to small for you...then you may consider the eeePC 900 (8,9" screen)...It should be a pretty neat deal because it's the last eeePC without glossy finish + has 20 GB (4GB Fast ssd for OS + 16 GB slower SSD if you pickup the Linux version (if it's avaible in your country - in germany it's not...)
    But the non-atom Netbooks aren't that great in the time they last before charging (e.g. the eeePC 901 lasts with the 6 cell 6600 mAh battery for around 6 hours (and even 8800 mAh batterys are avaible))
    I myself may buy one of those 10400 mAh batterys for my eeePC 701 but it will be very big and lift up the eeePC (but hey...up to 7 hours [​IMG])
    you should take in consideration what you need and how much money it is worth you...and if it should be your all day comrade, is a glossy finish acceptable for you? (for me it isn't...)
    I never really used the MSI Wind/Akoya Mini, Acer Aspire one or dell mini etc. so I can just speak for the eeePC

It's really solid and has a good performance (701 4G: booting XP(not that much optimized) in around 30 seconds, get around 30 FPS in WoW (ok not in ogrimar)) + a large userbase, so if there's a problem which requires a tweak someone will find this tweak quite fast + it's Wlan is perfect...way better than my Desktop integrated one + netgear PCI card (yeah I've dual Wlan because I had a spare card o_o')

If you got a spare windows XP license or a OEM license for your desktop (so you can still use that license for a portable machine) you could buy a cheap linux version and optimize your windows XP with nLite (my XP installation just takes 600 MB) or just stay at the linux if you just want to chat, surf the web and use open office

9. BiscuitBee

Member BiscuitBee Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug

Canada
    Goodness, every time I see this at Staples Business Depot, I just want to buy it even though I know I wouldn't use it.

10. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Wind has:
    Larger hdd
    Larger touchpad
    Larger keyboard
    A much higher quality casing (at least it feels and looks that way)
    Weighs almost 1lb less

802.11n is irrelevant for most people, and the "violation of warranty by ram upgrade issue" is no longer true.

The 3-cell battery is somewhat disappointing, but that was only due to the factory fires way back last spring. They should be shipping with 6-cells sometime in the relatively near future.

11. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    So the only real difference between SSD and normal HDD is that one can survive more shocks but for a trade off of only have a low HDD space. Is it true that SSD has a shorter life?

12. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    I thought HDD had a shorter life.

13. link459

Member link459 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The way I see it: if you just spend $100 more, you can get a much nicer laptop.

But since it's the size of the product that you want it for, it's kind of like an iPod situation: sure the Nano's small, but for a little more, you can get the larger, better, higher capacity version.

It's all up to you.

14. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    [​IMG]

15. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/ee...eoff.aspx?pid=2

eeepc has larger keyboard and trackpad, and weighs 2 ounces less, 3 pounds vs 3.2 pounds.

MSI wind 6 cell costs 549, eeepc 6-cell sells for 449. msi 6 cell has only 80gb hard drive, 3 cell msi has 120gb hard drive. 3 cell only gets 2 hours.

16. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Just realised that my MSI Wind is actually being sold in the UK under the Advent brand and I actually saw one at a sale. Never knew it would be the same thing...

17. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    has the MSI wind a glossy finish? Here in germany it was sold by Aldi under the name "Akoya Mini" and had a glossy finish

18. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    Didn't even consider the Acer Aspire One with 1GB RAM, XP and 6 cell?

19. DrKupo

Banned DrKupo Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp

United States
    Consider the Macbook Air. Not only is it thin, but it has enough power to do shit and has a screen don't need a magnifying glass to see the screen.

20. TheRocK

Member TheRocK GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    First I had the EEE 701G but it's not more than a toy. Now I upgraded to the 1000h which is the best netbook around imho. The one that comes close is the MSI Wind, but the battery capaticity is not that good so if you want to buy a good Netbook, go for the EEE 1000h.