Hacking Editing save states?!

Serik21

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok folks I have a question.

So I was brilliant enough to save a state on the game Suikoden Tierkries durring one of the animated cutscenes. Now when I load said save state the game just hard locks right where it was in the cutscene. Is there any way I can edit the save state? Or perhaps load it in an emulator to get it past the cutscene and move it back to my scds2? Any help would be greatly appreciated. my closest save is about 4 hours before this save state :/

Thanks!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Realistically the four hours to replay the game (wind in some cheats and you might make it a bit quicker) is probably the easier method- most things here you will have to go from scratch on and that will take somewhat more than four hours. If you were doing it with the intention of making a savestate conversion tool or an savestate cheat editor then it might be worth the hassle.

You probably could edit the savestate and/or ROM to avoid crashing but that would be an incredibly high level hack. Likewise hacking yourself back in time as it were is tricky as well.

What might work (although it might fail for the same reasons it fails here) is converting the savestate to desmume or no$gba format, to my knowledge nobody has done this and you also face the additional problem of flash cart savestates being incomplete which is quite often what causes these crashes (various parts of the DS memory are read or write only). A savestate is quite literally a snapshot of the memory and CPU registers at the time of the savestate which get bundled into one file, various emulators, devices and such make these files different but their content should be exactly the same as the hardware doesn't exactly change. This difference is usually just a different ordering or a different amount of padding between sections of the DS memory itself (technically the DS memory can address 32 bits or about 4 gigs but in practice it is more like 10 megs of useful information at the very best), again though I am not even aware of someone trying this for flash cart savestates.

Serik21

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking it was going to be a nearly impossible task but I figured it couldnt hurt to ask.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.