ROM Hack Edit Savefiles

Xen0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I recently looked into Hexadecimal stuff and wanted to ask: how do you know where to edit? To hold it simply let's say you wanna edit your ID Number in Pokémon. Would you just search for the ID in HxD? Will the ID be handled as a 5 digit number or is every number a single digit? I know you could just change it with PK3DS but I just want to know how it basically works.
A harder example let's say you wanted to change an item in Zelda OoT3d or MM3d. How do you do this? How do you know which item has which number code and how long is it?

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
If I understand the process correctly, you first of all need to know a value to search for. So say your ID number was 12345, you search for 12345 in the save file to find where it is stored in the save. Then you try to change the value in that location in the hex editor. Unless you really know what you are doing you shouldn't make the value take up more bytes in the file than it already does, as this could overwrite other data.

Reactions: Deleted User

Xen0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If I understand the process correctly, you first of all need to know a value to search for. So say your ID number was 12345, you search for 12345 in the save file to find where it is stored in the save. Then you try to change the value in that location in the hex editor. Unless you really know what you are doing you shouldn't make the value take up more bytes in the file than it already does, as this could overwrite other data.
Wouldn't it be like 0102030405 in the code actually? Because 12 for example would already be the number 18 if I understood this correctly

TamDanny

GBATemp 3DS Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Although, sometimes the process can be a little more tedious than it sounds, like your example with the ID of a Pokemon. It's very possible that the ID would be the same among other Pokemon in your box/party; so sometimes you have to find and check if more data can be used to be found in a hex editor.
Perhaps searching an ID of 12345 (in hexadecimal, obviously; unless the editor allows ascii value searching) may yield some results, but it's very likely that you'll find more than 1 result; so you'll need to find more data that can pin down the correct code; like in this case, maybe the Dex number of the Pokemon, its Nature value, etc. When you find various of these values close to each other, then it's very likely that's what you're looking for.
At least that's my understanding of how it works. I rarely do any hex editing, but this is probably what I think are the basics.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?