duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
they do still sell games for ps3 through the PSN store.
This is very true. Also, almost the entire library available on the PSNow subscription service is PS3 titles.
OP's selfish bias on what constitutes 'legitimate' piracy wouldn't get Sony to hessitate from clamping down on any infringements to their online sales/services.
Nintendo have been doing it forever.

D

Deleted User

Doesn't make it more legal. Especially not if you happen to include games.

Also they do still sell games for ps3 through the PSN store.
They do, but if your console stays offline for too long the games you bought will have its license expired and then you can't play them. That's what happened to me although I got them free (three games free back in 2011 because of the massive leak/hack).

Buying digital games kinda sucks cause it just feels like rentals.

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They do, but if your console stays offline for too long the games you bought will have its license expired and then you can't play them. That's what happened to me although I got them free (three games free back in 2011 because of the massive leak/hack).

Buying digital games kinda sucks cause it just feels like rentals.

So that just justifies stealing them?

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, buy them in physical format. Digital sucks for those who want to own the game.

Yes I agree, but that is not what we where discussing here. You where insinuating it's okay to pirate games since sony doesn't profit from sales anymore. Which is completely wrong....

D

Deleted User

Yes I agree, but that is not what we where discussing here. You where insinuating it's okay to pirate games since sony doesn't profit from sales anymore. Which is completely wrong....
I was? Don't care, tbh.

There were some digital games I was okay with like MK8's DLC on WiiU that I played to death so I didn't mind losing access to it entirely, but in general I want to own what I buy and can't get that with digital.

VyperS_702

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the issue here is in differentiating between getting stuff for free and profiting from piracy.
They're both legally wrong, but in criminal terms the profiteering aspect is what will be more likely to get you prosecuted.
Guess you missed the part where I include the game discs? A PS3 game disc is only worth about $1.15 on the wholesale market. Hell, just having the game discs exonerates the soft modder from any “legal” issue. Which is a civil matter, not a criminal (best Trump impression ever) uuuuuuuuuge difference.

VyperS_702

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is very true. Also, almost the entire library available on the PSNow subscription service is PS3 titles.
OP's selfish bias on what constitutes 'legitimate' piracy wouldn't get Sony to hessitate from clamping down on any infringements to their online sales/services.
Nintendo have been doing it forever.
Except Sony does NOT own the rights to the games. Which means Sony does not have any leg to stand on. It’s not “legitimate” piracy. Or piracy of any sort if you actually own a physical copy of the disc of a game. Selling downloaded games from PSN is perfectly accepted. Why is it not okay for a backup?

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't follow how you're trying to justify profiting from piracy...
...or your belief that Sony doesn't own any game rights - conveniently forgetting all the games developed and published by Sony, and simultaneously ignoring that even if they aren't Sony's SOMEBODY owns the rights.

Selling downloaded games from PSN is perfectly accepted. Why is it not okay for a backup?
What? Are you talking about Sony's legitimate online marketplace serving the purpose it was created for - where rights holders are paid for their work? ...and somehow comparing that to being the same as you making money from selling back-ups/systems modified solely for the purpose of running backups?

Look - I pirate a ton of stuff. I'm not anti-piracy. I've modded most of my systems, and done many mods for my friends (always for free).
It's predominantly those that make money from piracy that are responsible for the way piracy as a whole is treated under law.

VyperS_702

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm all for modders selling hardmodded systems, as hard mods require a skillset and tools not everyone possesses, but softmod sellers are in that same scummy territory as those selling fully loaded/configured retropi's for many times what the hardware costs. What's your mark-up on a soft modded PS3 opposed to how much a non-exploited one costs you?

Depends on how much you get a console for, and how much the buyer is willing to pay for it. I’ve picked up consoles for as little as $10 which were listed as broken which I was able to repair. I’ve also picked them up for $140+ for a CECHA01 in the original box. They can do it themselves with a little research, but do not. It’s the same as when you get an oil change for you car. You can do it, but most people take it to a service station or dealership. Not everyone is comfortable with opening a PS3, stripping it down to the motherboard, replacing thermal paste, and putting it all back together. God help them if there is something wrong with the console which requires a replacement part. Then they have to do a softmod without bricking it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I can't follow how you're trying to justify profiting from piracy...
...or your belief that Sony doesn't own any game rights - conveniently forgetting all the games developed and published by Sony, and simultaneously ignoring that even if they aren't Sony's SOMEBODY owns the rights.

What? Are you talking about Sony's legitimate online marketplace serving the purpose it was created for - where rights holders are paid for their work? ...and somehow comparing that to being the same as you making money from selling back-ups/systems modified solely for the purpose of running backups?

Look - I pirate a ton of stuff. I'm not anti-piracy. I've modded most of my systems, and done many mods for my friends (always for free).
It's predominantly those that make money from piracy that are responsible for the way piracy as a whole is treated under law.

No, I’m talking about someone buying the game and downloading it from Sony. Then they sell their system with the game still on it and advertise there are games installed. So while they legally bought it, their license does not include transferring the game to another party. That’s also assuming Sony has not canceled their license, which means they pay for a game and Sony revokes their privilege of using it.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
3.55 doesn’t matter anymore. Downgrading is a waste of time. First thing I usually do is install HFW4.85 and go from there.

But you are selling on ebay, to veterans and idiots alike. CFW shouldn't be an issue, hypothetically. But if you advertise its uses, then someone will flag it, be it a competitor or a corporate justice warrior, and ebay will cancel it because they don't want any form of liability.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: YUH