Hacking Easiest way to start over?

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would be the easiest way to completely format the wii and install a fresh system menu? I ask this because I made several modifications to a friends wii, but it's been so long I can't think of every single one so that I may remove them. I know this going to be a very dangerous task one wrong move and its bricked, but I'm sure I'll manage.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Don't format the Wii, period.

First, what system menu are you on? If it's 4.2 and below, then you can just do this procedure:

1) Upgrade Homebrew Channel to version 1.0.8. (VERY IMPORTANT)
2) Perform a system update to System Menu 4.3. This will effectively remove any cIOS and other items you may have installed into the Wii NAND. Priiloader will also be removed in this process.
3) If you have any forwarder WAD channels on the system menu, use a WAD Manager to uninstall them.
4) If you do not want to have the Homebrew Channel any longer, boot into the HackMii Installer, and uninstall BootMii and the Homebrew Channel itself.

That should take care of the bulk. Remember that there is no way to 'start fresh' (a.k.a. virginize) your Wii after you've installed hacks on it, so if this procedure is simply because you want to "avoid getting detected by Nintendo", it won't help in the end, since the hacks leave traces on the NAND that cannot be removed.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Use ModMii, it in the stickies. Run the app on your pc and tell the app that your wii is a virgin.

Just to be on the safe side you could always make a nand backup now if you have bootmii installed, but modmii's instruction will tell you to do a nand backup anyways after installing HBC and bootmii.

CarbonX13 said:
Remember that there is no way to 'start fresh' (a.k.a. virginize) your Wii after you've installed hacks on it, so if this procedure is simply because you want to "avoid getting detected by Nintendo", it won't help in the end, since the hacks leave traces on the NAND that cannot be removed.
Yes there is, but they are not safe to do.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
DeadlyFoez said:
CarbonX13 said:
Remember that there is no way to 'start fresh' (a.k.a. virginize) your Wii after you've installed hacks on it, so if this procedure is simply because you want to "avoid getting detected by Nintendo", it won't help in the end, since the hacks leave traces on the NAND that cannot be removed.
Yes there is, but they are not safe to do.
Yeah, I recalled a bit after I read it that there was a procedure I read some where... was it on the Complete Softmod Guide? But yeah, not worth recommending since there are better alternatives.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's on system menu version 4.2U I used the darkcorp uninstaller to get rid of most of what I've done but burnt games still show in the disc channel, but they do not play. I tried updating but it fails and says "error code: 32007".

troy512

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
priiloader before r128, even with block online updates disabled, will block online updates

you need to remove priiloader before the update will continue

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O_O Oh shit.. I didn't even know that was there, sad thing is I probably put it there. That worked it's all updated and I'm sure most of the mods are gone. I just didn't think that cioscorps or darkcorps mods were really all that great. They created more problems really, couldn't update, the discs were generally harmful to the laser, wii became slow, wii made very odd noises. I'd rather just use the USB loaders instead, less hassle and much more convenient.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Shouldn't preservation be legal tho?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.
    +1
    Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku story.
    +1
    I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade machines are old and busted very few ever saw any sort of home conversion
    We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time or dumped.
    +1
    It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol
    I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why not? The rights for some games are completely lost though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, AI is taking our jobs!
    +1
    Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh