1. ebin

OP ebin Newbie
    Newcomer

Finland
    So I heard using burned DVD+RW on PS2 might put more strain on the laser, so I was wondering how sturdy it actually is, like how fast it would die or get damaged. Is there anyone who has used a lot of DVD+RW disks and can give an insight on this?
    Also as a side note, since the release of freedvdboot, has anyone actually been able to use the DVD+RW disks for that? All I've heard and experienced myself are failures.

Last edited by ebin, Aug 7, 2020
  2. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    that's what I've heard as well, but I have no proof of it. I wouldn't use them if I were you.

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Supposedly the phat laser is more sturdy but the slims have a history of lasers failing due to burned discs even if you use DVD-R which is why manufacturers even made "fix" chips to stop the console from giving too much power to the laser and frying it. I have heard you don't need them on a phat though. Of course on a slim internal HDD is also out of the question so the only good option is loading games over network really.
    BTW, it's not just DVD+RW, DVD-RW and DVD+R should also be avoided from what I've read.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - DVD+RW, laser,