DVD Player for the Wii

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't really say much about this as I don't have a Wii (yet at least). This is a homebrew app that allows you to play real DVD movies on you Wii without modding it:

http://hackmii.com/2008/08/libdi-and-the-dvdx-installer/

I don't have any helpful info, but I'm just passing on the news. And it DOES let you put real DVD disks into your Wii and play them. It's supposed to be hard to set up though.

wiidsguy

Trophies
Website
www.live365.com
XP
Country
United States
You can now watch dvd on your wii with no mod chip

QUOTE said:
So you want to play DVDs on your Wii?
Want to watch your favorite DVD movie or television show on your Wii? Well, it's not that difficult. Read on for our handy guide on getting DVDs to play on your Wii.

From nintendowiifanboy.com

Guide on how to play dvd on wii

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Raiyu245 said:
You are late. This has already been posted..
And now it's been merged.
tongue.gif

MillionsKnives

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather not accelerate the burning out of my Wii DVD drive laser, especially since XBMC is probably a much better solution right now (granted you have an Xbox), but it's nice to see the development of Wii homebrew staying strong.

However, in 2 months the XBMC team is releasing a stable release of XBMC, codenamed 'Atlantis'. XBMC Atlantis will be released on Linux, Mac, Windows and Xbox simultaneously.

Adding a capability to the Wii that was not available prior is still always welcome in my book
smile.gif
I am happy for all the people that will take full advantage of this because I know it is something that has been wanted since the system was released.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MillionsKnives said:
I'd rather not accelerate the burning out of my Wii DVD drive laser, especially since XBMC is probably a much better solution right now, but it's nice to see the development of Wii homebrew staying strong.

Adding a capability to the Wii that was not available prior is still always welcome in my book
smile.gif
It doesn't burn out the DVD laser..

MillionsKnives

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I dunno, most of what I have heard is that the Wii DVD drive is not really meant to constantly read discs for a prolonged period of time, although I have no actual proof (most of what you read on the Internet is just opinion / assumption anyway).

I do have a handful of friends that have had disc reading errors with their Wiis that resulted in them having to send in their systems for repairs. These things happen, however it seems strange that they never included this feature from the beginning if the drive can obviously physically read movie DVDs (according to this piece of homebrew software).

Then again, I guess it would have made no economic sense for them to have manufactured a special DVD drive that would likely cost more for Nintendo and perform worse than one you could pick up at Walmart. I guess they were just looking for ways to cut down the cost of the system, and avoiding paying royalties by adding DVD playback would definitely do that.

Kyusuke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
MillionsKnives said:
I dunno, most of what I have heard is that the Wii DVD drive is not really meant to constantly read discs for a prolonged period of time, although I have no actual proof (most of what you read on the Internet is just opinion / assumption anyway).

I do have a handful of friends that have had disc reading errors with their Wiis that resulted in them having to send in their systems for repairs. These things happen, however it seems strange that they never included this feature from the beginning if the drive can obviously physically read movie DVDs (according to this piece of homebrew software).

Then again, I guess it would have made no economic sense for them to have manufactured a special DVD drive that would likely cost more for Nintendo and perform worse than one you could pick up at Walmart. I guess they were just looking for ways to cut down the cost of the system, and avoiding paying royalties by adding DVD playback would definitely do that.

Quote off Erant on that hackmii link posted
QUOTEThe myth of you being able to ‘burn out’ a DVD laser is pretty much what it says on the tin, a myth. This drive was designed specifically for two things. reading Wii games, and reading DVD-Videos. There are special commands in the drive for doing so. (We use these commands to read these discs without a modchip). So, these drives were designed with reading DVD-Videos in mind. (And even if they wern’t, you’re running the entire drive in spec. I’ve been told these myths came about when people were pot-tuning their PS2s, running them out of spec. Running any piece of hardware beyond the limits that were set for it will break it in the long run)

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they could definitely add it if they wanted to but they're not since all they've done is just stay away from anything media related on the wii, why I don't know its just plain rediculus

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021