DVD or DVD-RW problem... Help!

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Gabbynaruto, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Gabbynaruto
    OP

Gabbynaruto GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2010
    Romania
    Outer Space
    So, let's start with the beginning. After my partition failure, I kinda lost all files on my PC, since I wasn't able to back them up. Now, I recovered most of my files since then... well, pretty much all of them, except my music. I kinda downloaded some of them once again, the most recent ones which I could remember, mostly because I was relying on the fact that I have the rest on a DVD.

But, surprise, for some reason the DVD doesn't work. The DVD Writer spins it without much of an issue, hell, even My Computer reads it, but, once I get inside it, the dis is empty. No file at all.

I made the hidden files and folders show up, still nothing. I even tried a different DVD-RW to read it, still the same behavior. The DVD doesn't have any scratches, nor have I inserted it in the PC after burning the files on it (after burning them, it worked). I really don't understand what's going on. This has never happened to me, really.

So, my questions: Is the DVD screwed for good, or is it my DVD Writer's fault (kinda impossible, since everything else works perfectly)?

Also, is there any way to retrieve the data from the DVD? (Cause I'm certain I won't be able to find the files in there anymore... I tried to search for some files I remembered, found none).

Images for better explanation

Thanks!

2. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    It recognises the DVD as an open track DVD, ready to have files written to it.

Try putting the DVD in another computer (friends, neighbours?) to see if it does the same thing. If it does, then the last data session on it was overwritten. If it works, then your DVD drive needs cleaning.