I may or may not have fallen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CarbonX13 said:
I prefer HDD, because it's faster and you don't have to switch discs. It also saves money in the long run, so you don't have to burn so many DVD-R discs to play your games.

masdeeper said:
Are the game still lagging when using DVDs and soft mode?

I know that one year ago, there was some lagging on somme game when using softmode and DVDs
Not that I know of. The latest Neogamma runs should backups at full speed as far as I know.
3X reading from dvd-r is always going to be a limitation. you are never going to get full speeds (6x) reading dvd-r's with a softmod. it just isn't going to happen. it's a hardware limitation. I believe you can get full speed from a mod chip but not with a softmod. usb 2.0 speeds are going to be even faster then reading a disc at full speed.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
smash_brew said:
CarbonX13 said:
I prefer HDD, because it's faster and you don't have to switch discs. It also saves money in the long run, so you don't have to burn so many DVD-R discs to play your games.

masdeeper said:

I know that one year ago, there was some lagging on somme game when using softmode and DVDs
Not that I know of. The latest Neogamma runs should backups at full speed as far as I know.
3X reading from dvd-r is always going to be a limitation. you are never going to get full speeds (6x) reading dvd-r's with a softmod. it just isn't going to happen. it's a hardware limitation. I believe you can get full speed from a mod chip but not with a softmod. usb 2.0 speeds are going to be even faster then reading a disc at full speed.
Ah, I stand corrected then. Though I honestly don't notice any difference when loading from disc... =/

dexter222

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Graduating from DVD to HDD was pretty much a religious experience. I never bothered with Gecko or that crap cause I had a chipped Wii even still DVDs are a pain. The only problem was the drive could only hold 500 games because of WBFS limitations but even that's fixed now. Now with FAT32 and NTFS support there are no limits.

Go with fat32 BTW - NTFS isn't there for the wii.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
CarbonX13 said:
smash_brew said:
CarbonX13 said:

masdeeper said:

Ah, I stand corrected then. Though I honestly don't notice any difference when loading from disc... =/

Yes there are, i.e Mario Kart Video Intro will lag a little on a DVD-Backup due to 3x read speed (even lag a bit while "in-game" videos, like menus) on my softmodded wii. My gf has a chipped wii, and the same DVD Backup will offer no lags on videos or whatsoever. And btw, my dvd unit has like, 10 months, which was rarely used.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is also the option of USB DVD. IF you like the comfort of having physical media but dont want the 3x speed of DVD backups through the disc channel, you could go grab the latest version of ULoader and a external USB DVD drive and play your backups that way. I'm currently forced to do do since my laser in my Wii drive is being an ass but at least you have that extra option.

smartybones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the main advantage of HDD for me is the lack of a pile of disks next to the wii... being a little OCD, All my DVD based games were in white DVD cases, printed lables on the case and the game recorded on printable media with the lables printed onto the disk.... once I got to 50 games, it was getting silly, now with over 100 games on the HDD can you imagine that pile sitting next to the TV.

also, You know what kids are like, they never put disks away properly no matter how much you nag, and after the anoyance of a regular dissapearance of disks a HDD is the way to go...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up