FireGrey

Undercover Admin
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Ok so i mounted my ubuntu install file using daemon tools.
Now when i turn my computer on i got windows + linux.
When i click liux i can install it or do a demo of it.
When i install it, it asks for a partion, what do i do now?
I dont want to lose all my data so...

Chhotu uttam

DOH HO HO HO
Trophies
XP
Country
India
FireGrey said:
Ok so i mounted my ubuntu install file using daemon tools.
Now when i turn my computer on i got windows + linux.
When i click liux i can install it or do a demo of it.
When i install it, it asks for a partion, what do i do now?
I dont want to lose all my data so...
There is some software called "virtual box/partition"

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
you should shrink your windows partition first (though windows partition manager start->right click computer-> manage->storage->disk management->right click C:\ -> shrink then run the wizard before running the ybuntu setup.

if you want to avoid the hassle of repartitioning install ubuntu though wubi (mount ubuntu iso with deamon tools then there should be wubi.exe

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Dter ic said:
you should shrink your windows partition first (though windows partition manager start->right click computer-> manage->storage->disk management->right click C:\ -> shrink then run the wizard before running the ybuntu setup.

if you want to avoid the hassle of repartitioning install ubuntu though wubi (mount ubuntu iso with deamon tools then there should be wubi.exe
Why do i need to shrink it?
I only really want 20gb for ubuntu.
I got 100gb free

D

Deleted User

Well i have native ubuntu, i recommend leave 30 - 50 space if your going to use windows more often, and you got grub working
tongue.gif
(hopefully) Also with native i demote 600gb to ubuntu 400gb to windows. Happy me

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
If you're not sure you can do a Wubi install. This will set up a virtual harddrive on your computer without messing with your partitions and allow you to boot from it. If you decide you don't want Ubuntu after all you can then uninstall it from Windows' uninstall menu.

If you want to actually install it properly things get a bit more confusing. You'll have to shrink your Windows partition using a program such as EASEUS Partition manager. Create enough space for a SWAP partition (as big as your RAM) plus whatever space you want for Ubuntu (20GB will probably do if you store all your files on your Windows partition). From there you need to boot a Ubuntu Disc from startup (as in boot computer from disc) and install from there setting up your partitions manually which can be very confusing (I managed to muddle my way through for mine)

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
FireGrey said:
Dter ic said:

Why do i need to shrink it?
I only really want 20gb for ubuntu.
I got 100gb free

you could said so in the OP :facepalm: anyway when you get into the partitioning screen in ubuntu chose advance and in there you can chose the partition size for ubuntu.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
If you're not sure you can do a Wubi install. This will set up a virtual harddrive on your computer without messing with your partitions and allow you to boot from it. If you decide you don't want Ubuntu after all you can then uninstall it from Windows' uninstall menu.

If you want to actually install it properly things get a bit more confusing. You'll have to shrink your Windows partition using a program such as EASEUS Partition manager. Create enough space for a SWAP partition (as big as your RAM) plus whatever space you want for Ubuntu (20GB will probably do if you store all your files on your Windows partition). From there you need to boot a Ubuntu Disc from startup (as in boot computer from disc) and install from there setting up your partitions manually which can be very confusing (I managed to muddle my way through for mine)
I did the WUBI install but i get "no root file system is identified".
That happens when i continue on the installation from after i have to restart.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
I presume you're using Wubi for 11.04 and an 11.04 ISO (or 10.04 for both). I'm afriad its been a while since I've done a Wubi install but they always worked flawlessly for me. Completely uninstall Wubi via the programs manager and try again.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
I presume you're using Wubi for 11.04 and an 11.04 ISO (or 10.04 for both). I'm afriad its been a while since I've done a Wubi install but they always worked flawlessly for me. Completely uninstall Wubi via the programs manager and try again.
ok thanks, btw i have 10.10, should i get 11.04?

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
FireGrey said:
Jamstruth said:
ok thanks, btw i have 10.10, should i get 11.04?
Considering 10.10 is now unsupported I'm inclined to say yes despite my gripes with some things in 11.04 (for some reason Flash doesn't work right on certain sites for me just covered in graphics glitches...may have to do with my graphics card). The Unity interface s alright but if you prefer Gnome (like me) you can switch the mode to Ubuntu Classic on the login screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel