Dual-boot

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I wanna dualboot my windoze with linux, but I want windows to start up. But when I start a key(combo) it will enter dualboot menu. Is this possible?

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
You mean you want the primary OS to be Windows, so if you don't choose an option within the time limit it auto-boots to Windows?
bcdedit can control primary OS's and such, been a while since i'v used anything like that so give it a quick google.

velocity37

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should be easy peasy with GRUB. Just set Windows as the default boot entry, and then set a custom timeout in seconds. It'll boot automatically to windows unless you hit something within the set time limit, which will bring you to the grub menu where you can choose Windows or Linux.

mrSmiles

Dundunduuuun
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Stick with windows but install Virtual Box or VMWare, and create a virtual linux system with whichever distro of your choice.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jonjon95 said:
I need something like this except for Windows and OS X, will GRUB still work?

~ Jon

If you're talking about an osx86 install then you might want to try Chameleon. I'm not sure if it works with distros, but it definitely works with vanilla install (full retail installation on separate hard drives).

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
luke_c said:
You mean you want the primary OS to be Windows, so if you don't choose an option within the time limit it auto-boots to Windows?
bcdedit can control primary OS's and such, been a while since i'v used anything like that so give it a quick google.
Thats what I do.

Give it about 5 seconds.

Also you could look into EasyBCD, and use the windows bootloader to launch *distro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte