Dual-boot

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Kwartel, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Kwartel
    OP

Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Apr 11, 2009
    Netherlands
    I wanna dualboot my windoze with linux, but I want windows to start up. But when I start a key(combo) it will enter dualboot menu. Is this possible?

2. nIxx

nIxx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 30, 2007
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    heh why do you want linux then ?
    You need at least a menu (ex. GRUB Loader) to choose what OS to start.

3. prowler

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
    I don't think its possible. Though if you havnt pressed a button for 20 seconds (i think) its starts Windows by auto

4. luke_c

luke_c Big Boss

Jun 16, 2008
    Land of England
    You mean you want the primary OS to be Windows, so if you don't choose an option within the time limit it auto-boots to Windows?
    bcdedit can control primary OS's and such, been a while since i'v used anything like that so give it a quick google.

5. velocity37

velocity37 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 4, 2007
    United States
    Should be easy peasy with GRUB. Just set Windows as the default boot entry, and then set a custom timeout in seconds. It'll boot automatically to windows unless you hit something within the set time limit, which will bring you to the grub menu where you can choose Windows or Linux.

6. Kwartel
    OP

Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Apr 11, 2009
    Netherlands
    Thanks

7. Hakoda

Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    I need something like this except for Windows and OS X, will GRUB still work?

~ Jon

8. mrSmiles

mrSmiles Dundunduuuun

Oct 27, 2002
    Canada
    Stick with windows but install Virtual Box or VMWare, and create a virtual linux system with whichever distro of your choice.

9. Jiggah

Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 9, 2002
    United States
    If you're talking about an osx86 install then you might want to try Chameleon. I'm not sure if it works with distros, but it definitely works with vanilla install (full retail installation on separate hard drives).

10. Frederica Bernkastel

Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

GBAtemp Patron
    Frederica Bernkastel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 31, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Hinamizawa
    Thats what I do.

Give it about 5 seconds.

Also you could look into EasyBCD, and use the windows bootloader to launch *distro