DSx86 DOS emulator for DS

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's you something to look at. It sure caught my eye. Apparently, someone is attempting to make an x86 emulator for the DS. Something to play DOS and old DOS games. Details, copy/pasted because i'm lazy-

"Hi all!

For the last 4 months I have been working on an x86 emulator for NDS.
Now finally I have something to show for my efforts, so I decided to
announce this project, and release a technical demonstration.

DSx86 currently emulates 80286 processor, MCGA 320x200 screen and SoundBlaster audio.

You can find the demo at http://dsx86.patrickaalto.com/

The demo has my old DOS game LineWars II bundled with the emulator core. The emulator runs the game between 5 and 15 fps, with rare peaks up to 30 fps, depending on the amount of ships alive and visible on the screen.

I have also a blog/diary on my DSx86 web pages that gives some background about the emulator in case you are interested.

Thanks for reading!

Pate"

Honestly, I'd like to see this happen, but most people will likely assume it's not possible to emulate an entire PC platform on a system like DS. Who knows though? Already better than that dosbox concept that ran at like 2fps.
rolleyes.gif

News from-
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=263092

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice, though I have never played any old DOS games, I realize the a few of the better games of the old days were on the platform.
smile.gif
I await this with baited breath.
smile.gif

phoenixclaws

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice work, I'm going to try my old copy of WC2 which I still have. Man, fun times back when i played those games on my old 386.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i still have a working 286 and my 486. i use them all the time to play old dos games. but also i make use of dosbox on my xp install. my sound blaster card took a dump years ago and some of my older dos games don't work that well with the generic sound card in my 486.

dos is like a 5,000 game collection. i'm sure the goodset is more, i'm actually too lazy to look it up. my point being that even if 100 games are eventually playable we gain another 100 games on the ds. i love emulation and homebrew!! there are so many great RPGs for dos, too bad you probably won't be able to read any of their small text on the tiny ass ds screen.

-another world

BastarB

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, what I had understand this emulator can't emulate a cpu greater than the 286 version! Atleast not now!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: