Hardware DSTWO Displaying 'Broken' ROM Duplicates?

Fluxperpetua

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When viewing the games I've loaded on to the card from the menu, I sometimes see files marked with ".__" (ex. ".__SuperMario.gba") at the beginning of them. They don't load (white screen), and soft reset won't bring me back to the menu when they're selected, forcing me to reset the entire system. It doesn't seem to matter what kind or where the ROMs are, either. CATSFC, DSTWOGBA, and even the built in DS emulator all display this really weird glitch.

I could just as easily ignore them, but they make organization a huge pain and I'd really like to know if there's a way to fix it.

Playing on a 3DS XL, if it makes a difference.

Thanks, everyone!

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Fluxperpetua -here's how to fix this problem.

1. Connect your MicroSD to your Mac computer.
  2. Make a backup of your MicroSD.
  3. Open the Terminal
  4. Type "dot_clean", followed by a single space
  5. Drag the MicroSD containing dot-underscore files to the terminal window
  6. Press enter

visit my thread here for more details. It talks about plugins specifically, but this works for any file on the DSTwo - including ROMs.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/mac-users-icon-plugin-fix.349667/#post-4679836

Sorry, the formatting in this post is all wonky XD The ._ files are supposed to be hidden, but the DSTwo obviously sees them. Silly silly macs <3 I love Finder, but it's weird like that.

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's going to read everything after the period in ".___" as the file extension (instead of .nds, etc) and not know how to load it, I don't know if Macs automatically add that (as said above) but you should load the MicroSD[HC] on a Windows computer and delete ".___" from the filenames.

Edit: ... or the above :3

Xarsah16

Trophies
XP
Country
It's going to read everything after the period in ".___" as the file extension (instead of .nds, etc) and not know how to load it, I don't know if Macs automatically add that (as said above) but you should load the MicroSD[HC] on a Windows computer and delete ".___" from the filenames.

Eh, deleting the files on a Windows computer might do the trick as well, but it's much easier to just clear the entire directory of ._ all at once in the simple easy steps I provided above instead of having to go through every single file. Macs do automatically add the ._ files., and you can go here http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10468344-263.html to learn more about it as I had linked within my topic I posted.

Note that every time you connect the MicroSD to your computer, it will most likely add these files, and so it's again, much easier to dot clean the entire MicroSD with the simple Terminal command.

The article was written for Snow Leopard OSX but it works just as well for Lion and Mountain Lion. I'm running ML and Terminal still performs this function. Terminal can be found from Finder\Applications\Utilities.

Xarsah16

Trophies
XP
Country
But I thought Mac is supposed to do EVERYTHING right... right? :glare:

Well, in my own personal opinion, Mac does most things better. But that's just the fangirl in me speaking, think whatever the hell you want XD

Still, nothing's perfect. I'm still so much happier using my Macbook Pro than fussing with Windows. Don't get me wrong - I've used Windows most of my life, and I just got real tired of its' shit.

Windows is better for some, as Mac is better for some people. Mac just happens to piss me off much less - and to me it seems so intuitive. I've noticed that Windows adds similar hidden files sometimes - for instance when you have a file open in Microsoft Word, it will create a "~$" duplicate file, similar to these ._ files. At least it did this with older incarnations of MS Word - I'm not sure if the newest version does this. Every OS has its quirks, but I can deal with Mac far easier than Windows. With Windows, I just have no patience... to each their own.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[...]I've noticed that Windows adds similar hidden files sometimes - for instance when you have a file open in Microsoft Word, it will create a "~$" duplicate file, similar to these ._ files. At least it did this with older incarnations of MS Word - I'm not sure if the newest version does this.[...]

At least through Office 2010 it still does (Of the 2013 Suite I've only used Visio, which still does as well), however unless the program exits unexpectedly, it removes the file after it closes.

Xarsah16

Trophies
XP
Country
At least through Office 2010 it still does (Of the 2013 Suite I've only used Visio, which still does as well), however unless the program exits unexpectedly, it removes the file after it closes.

Heh, when I was little, this always baffled me. XD I'm not enough of a coding geek to really know what's inside the ._ mac files, but it's nice to have such an easy Terminal fix for it. It can be a pain, but this isn't an issue for most users - I'm sure many mac users have no idea these files exist.

Fluxperpetua

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fluxperpetua -here's how to fix this problem.

visit my thread here for more details. It talks about plugins specifically, but this works for any file on the DSTwo - including ROMs.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/mac-users-icon-plugin-fix.349667/#post-4679836

Sorry, the formatting in this post is all wonky XD The ._ files are supposed to be hidden, but the DSTwo obviously sees them. Silly silly macs <3 I love Finder, but it's weird like that.

Wonderful! Seems to have done the trick.

Thanks a ton. ^^

Reactions: Xarsah16

Xarsah16

Trophies
XP
Country
Every time in general - when you disconnect the MicroSD card from the Mac you most likely will have those files unless you dot clean them before you disconnect. XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: