dstwo a real battery killer?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by 3bbb7, Jul 10, 2013.

1. 3bbb7
    OP

3bbb7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    On my 3DS I even have a nyko powerpak and the battery will go from 4 bars to 2 in about 1 hr and 45 mins of gameplay. ( I played about 30 minutes of animal crossing after it was fully charged, then dstwo) Brightness is on 3 so it's not too high, but that seems kind of short. Is the dstwo really that bad at battery life?

2. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    The battery should not impact it that seriously. Either that, or your Nyko pak is really screwed up. :(

3. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    You do know it has a SoC (System On a Chip), right? It has its own CPU, RAM, etc. That's why it drains the battery so quickly, even in sleep mode.

4. Aeter

Aeter A walking contradiction

Apr 1, 2009
    Netherlands
    The lands of nether
  5. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    the only problem with the DSTwo is on the 3DS when you enter sleepmode, I have the impression than the DSTwo can't tell when the 3DS enter sleepmode and keeps working like if the 3DS where in use, but when I use my DSTwo on my 3DS, I also have a Nyko powerpack+ installed and the battery last more than that, I always use the brightness at level 1 with energy save off and wifi always on.
    when I use the DSTwo on my DSi the battery lasts like 8 hours with brightness at level 1 and wifi on, when the DSi is on sleepmode the battery lasts more as expected, I think is the normal battery duration.

6. syfyTy

syfyTy PhD in Thaumaturgy

Apr 11, 2011
    United States
    Tazmily, USA
    I get long life from a DS2 on my DSi but the first time tried on my 3ds (reg) it ate the battery life quickly (without a Nyko unit), ON SLEEP. However, and I have no idea why, it does not do the same [for me] on the 3ds XL, and I would have thought [pressume] they were identical in that respect.

7. omghahalol

omghahalol Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 28, 2013
    United States
    Eats battery fast for me on 3dsxl when in sleep. I take it out or do a full shutdown.

8. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    sleep mode battery drain is very fast, but actual ds gameplay doesn't drain battery a lot.

9. tomosh22

tomosh22 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2013
    If you have used the gba emulator make sure the CPU frequency is set to no more than 2

10. chrisrlink

chrisrlink your friendly neighborhood serial killer

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    Elm street
    the only time i put it in sleep i'm dling from eshop (plugged in)

11. user64

user64 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    Canada
    I find the DSTWO to be not too hard on the battery when using the onboard CPU. For the majority of GBA games though, I keep the clock rate at 0, and it seems to take not much more than usual, with many games running at frameskip 1 (SMA1-4, LttP, etc.) When I am on CATSFC, I usually keep the clock at 5 for playing things such as SMW rom hacks. It does get quite warm when I do so, but nothing dangerous.

I've found leaving it in the 3DS (not XL) while in the tempGBA the battery to drain real fast, haven't tested this in a regular DS or DSi though.