DSL replacement cases/shells Customizations

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by DarkDragonLord, Sep 11, 2008.

Sep 11, 2008
  1. DarkDragonLord
    OP

Newcomer DarkDragonLord Advanced Member

Brazil
    [​IMG]

Greetings!

Well, i was thinking in a way of customizing my case but i dont wanted to just stick something in the case
    (and then, some weeks later, the glue gets weak and release the stick).

So, i was looking for those replacement shells and i saw some good ones, like:

The Palkia/Dialga Edition
    [​IMG]

Doraemon
    [​IMG]

Gundam
    [​IMG]

I don't think they just placed a sticker on top (that we can remove with the nails), might be inside and then, painted white..
    Or, like i was thinking, like my DS. It its transparent and just the other components are white (its not a full white plastic), my ds seems like glass [​IMG]

Some screens. I dont know if they are all like that because 2 of my friend's have a total opaque white ds

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So as you can see, seems i can remove the glass thing. Maybe put a sticker inside or something.

All white DS's are like this? Or full opaque?

Btw, do you think i could buy a case like this one
    [​IMG]
    and then paint it? Or stick things? Or buy a case like this one my ds have?

Last question:
    Would you buy an Unique case?
    Cause i'm thinking in using my PS/AI skills to sell some. I made some real nice stuff to use for making each case unique.

(ps.: the pics were edited in paint cause i'm at work and photoshop cs2 takes about a minute just to start... and that sucks, my pc open cs3 extended less than 8secs.)

thanks

2. Mnshredder

Newcomer Mnshredder Member

United States
    I like the doraemon. I was thinking about getting a new case, but now I want to figure out how to repaint it. I found a site to do it, there is only one problem with that site $$$$$$!!!! Sorry to thread jack, but I am interested in the same thing you are at the moment... hehhehe [​IMG]

3. DarkDragonLord
    OP

Brazil
    no worries.
    Maybe we can help each other [​IMG]

Anyways, you know how i can remove that glassy part of DS?
    (the one i show using fingers to split)

4. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    You can't remove the 'glass' part of your DS case, but that clear case, you could easily stick something under it to have it show out

5. DarkDragonLord
    OP

Brazil
    to stick under i need to remove it first [​IMG]
    cause its not fully transparent, have the transparent one and the white opaque one

6. Mnshredder

Newcomer Mnshredder Member

United States
    I am thinking about getting a clear case and using some acrylic paint.

7. ShakeBunny

Member ShakeBunny GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I would be willing to buy a clear ds shell that has been painted on the inside. It would really emulate the "glassy" look of the white ds. I'm not sure if the painted shell would harm the hardware though.

It'd be really cool if you used multiple colors of paint too. You know, like striping red and black designs on all of the parts. From the outside it would look really cool.

You could cover the outside of the shell in painter's tape to keep it clean, too.

Huh, I think I might try this out. It is like the ultimate way to personalize your ds lite.

EDIT: I've decided to try this. I just bought a clear case, black and red spray paint, and some painter's tape, all for only forty dollars. [​IMG] I hope it turns out well. I still have to wait for my stuff, but when I finish I'll show everyone my work, even if it is bad. [​IMG] Now I just have to think up a cool design.

8. ShakeBunny

United States
    I made a quick little template for what I want my ds to look like once I'm done painting it. I think it's gonna look great!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Oops, double post. My bad on that one. [​IMG]

9. DarkDragonLord
    OP

Brazil
    Post screenshots when you finish penguin [​IMG]

Btw, i will not buy painting, i will make all the lay in PS/AI and then print in those ultra-hard glue stickers. Since noone will put your hands inside the nds, i think i can do that way.

10. ShakeBunny

United States
    Yeah I put pics up when I'm done. I still have to wait for the paint and shell to arrive in the mail though.

11. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    Its been bugging me penguindefender... what software do you use to make all your "art"?

12. ShakeBunny

United States
    I mainly just use the paint software that comes with XP. I really like it, because it is simple and very easy to use.

Oh, and I hope you mean "art" in a good way. [​IMG]

What other things have you seen that I have made by the way?

I'm really excited about doing this mod. It's gonna be my best one yet, assuming I can use spray paint well enough. I'm gonna practice on some of my old shells until I get it right.

13. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    !?! Nice work for all your stuff but you need to upgrade to gimp or better photoshop.

The GH art stuff, its good. But its not game type stuff.

14. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Dude, sorry, but pleas make that sig at least a bit smaller....there's no need for that text size..

and penguindefender...looks pretty cool..I'd like to see how you'll do it..Aren't you afraid that paint could be easy to scratch off?

15. ShakeBunny

United States
    I would print out a design and place it in, but sticking paper inside a ds would look a little weird to me. Plus, it would be difficult to close it back up with the paper in the case.

I'll be painting the inside only, so that the design can show through the clear casing. I figured that if I can get everything in the case without the paint chipping, then everything should be fine. No one has ever done this before (I think). I want my DS to be really unique and awesome. [​IMG]

The case shipped today from HK. It should be here in about a week or so. No word on the paint, though.

If I have time (and if my friend will let me borrow his camera), I will take pictures to show my progress during the mod, and afterwards make a little "how to", so that anyone brave enough can make one of these.

16. Toni Plutonij

Croatia
    I'd like that....and if you won't be able to record whole process, than at least take pictures of the final product..I'm very interested in this....
    I did a mod of my own NDS Lite, so I don't have problems with dis/assembling it, but I've never painted from the inside, and I really can't imagine how will it look like..

I'm cheering for you, and that everything goes well..

17. ShakeBunny

United States
    Thanks. While I'm waiting for my supplies, does anyone with spray painting experience have any tips? I've never done this before, and I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into. I plan to practice on some of my old shells until I get it right, but I would like to know how one is to spray paint properly, and how long I should wait for the pieces to dry in between coats.

Also, would this be safe to do in my garage with the door shut? There are a lot of nosy neighbor kids that I wouldn't trust to be around this. It is crucial that I don't inhale any paint, because I had lung surgery last year and something like paint in there could really mess things up. [​IMG]

18. Toni Plutonij

Croatia
    Well, I have experience with spray painting, and little bit air brushing..

Most important thing is that you shake your spray can properly before using it (you should shake it in all ways around 10 - 15 minutes)..After that don't go to close with the can to the shell, because you'll get paint drips and stuff you don't want to, because there will be too many color applied..
    Don't go left-right, left-right, but always use same direction...From one side to the other, and repeat that several times until the whole surface is covered..
    Wait time in-between spraying depends on a spray you're using, but it's usually from 30 min to 1 hour, or hour and half..Look at the surface if it looks dried, but don't touch with your hands because it'll leave fingerprint, and you don't want that!

And in the end, I always avoid closed spaces when I spray, it can be really bad for a person, even with the healthy lungs, yet alone for you!
    But it's your call....I'd suggest you to do it on the open if you can!

19. ShakeBunny

United States
    Thanks for the tips. How many coats do you think I should use?

Also, how thick will the paint be on the shell? I still want the case to fit right when I'm done. I'm hoping that it will be thinner that the width of a piece of copy paper at least.

I want to do this, because I think it will make my DS really neat. I think that it may also make it look a little smaller (by the thickness of the casing) which is an added bonus.

I'm going to go take a look at some of my DS shells, so that I can plan out what I'm going to paint, and what I'm not going to paint. I would paint the entire inside if I could, but things like moving parts (volume and power switches), and things like that could cause some problems to my DS and end up making it look and perform badly. I'll post again when I decide what I'm going to do.

20. Toni Plutonij

Croatia
    Well, go for two or three coats, anything more would be too much, and from one coat you might have parts that aren't colored enough..
    Paint thickness really shouldn't get in the way of assembling your NDS....It's way too thin...but be sure you don't cover screw holes with paint, because it might give you hard time once you begin assembling..