DSiWare Installation?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Sammt424, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Sammt424
    OP

Sammt424 If you read this, you are an idiot.

Banned
    Dec 27, 2012
    United States
    The Universe
    Can DSiWare be installed as cia files or anything else.

BufferOverflow likes this.
  2. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    Nope, not for now at least.

3. shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    It would certainly be interesting if you could. If it ever does come, I almost wonder if we could install NDS titles straight to our home menu as DSi titles.

Zidapi likes this.
  4. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    We can't even play DSiWare yet, why would we even want to install them? Because the future?
    Now this would be interesting. A pity there's been so little progress in the DSi scene.

5. Games&Stuff

Games&Stuff GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 8, 2015
    Belgium
    Any progress?

6. NoThisIsStupider

NoThisIsStupider GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2015
    Canada
    Wow, that is a two year bump. Yes, we can install DSIware now like any other cia. Make sure to install to NAND using FBI and install to both sys and emunand.

MelonGx, Games&Stuff and Zidapi like this.
  7. Games&Stuff

Games&Stuff GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 8, 2015
    Belgium
    Sorry. So I need to link my NANDs again and then install it?

8. NoThisIsStupider

Dec 6, 2015
    Canada
    Nope, just install to both individually. So open up pasta or whatever you use for sysnand and run fbi (either from home menu or homebrew menu after cfw launch) and then install the DSIware game being careful to press R so it says "nand" instead of "SD" on the top screen. Repeat for emunand.

Games&Stuff and zfreeman like this.
  9. Swiftloke

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    Has anyone made progress on install ds titles as cias? Come on it can't be that hard. Run TWL-FIRM with something like HANS redirecting the cartridge slot to a location on the SD card. That's literally it, and if you're able to install cias then it shouldn't be a problem to get permissions to activate TWL-FIRM, especially since AGB-FIRM seems so easily accessible. Then just set up a custom CIA activating the TWL code, and set up the banner. Why hasn't anyone done this yet?

10. NoThisIsStupider

Dec 6, 2015
    Canada
    If it's so easy, then why don't you do it? I may not be the best source of info on this matter, but I know that if was truly as easy as you say, it would have been done already.

Robmead23 likes this.
  11. Just3DS

Just3DS GBAtemp Fan

Jan 31, 2015
    DS and DSiwares are completely different. DS works in exclusive DS mode only (that's very similar like doing virtualization on PC), when it starts the DS mode the 3DS suspends most 3DS related services to save battery, so there is no communication of DS to 3DS mode and vice versa.

DSiwares and GBA games works using a software based emulation in 3DS mode, so most 3DS services are still working.

12. Swiftloke

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    In a virtualbox, the host computer still controls the virtualboxs hard drive.
    Aside from that, once we have kernel we could likely use ntrhax to create a virtual cartridge. Instead of redirecting the read to SD, the read could be done beforehand and via ntrhax we could map the cartridge to a part of ram that will be unused, as, like you said, most of the 3ds functions are shut down.

13. dpad_5678

dpad_5678 GBAtemp's Memelord

Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    Clearly you know nothing about the 3DS.

What you think a DSiWare CIA is like this?:

upload_2016-1-22_20-42-29.png

14. Swiftloke

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    Though I would make your shabby attempt to mock me deeply regretted, I'm away from my computer for a while and I'd rather not type out the equivalent of an essay on my phone.

15. phalk

phalk Handheld Maniac

Apr 23, 2009
    Brazil
    I'd like some information on this too.
    Do we have any documentation?

16. froggestspirit

froggestspirit D/P/Pt Demix Guy

Jul 28, 2011
    United States
    From what I know, a big hurdle is how the games save. I think it's something about hardware saving? (The gba injects had a few different types too, but I'm guessing DSI only supports dsi, and not some of the ds types). Still, it would be interesting to see some DS games ran in DSi mode (I'm sure it can be done, like nintendon't running gamecube on wii). Another thing is that DSi is only able to be ran from NAND (so we need to redirect to the SD). I'm pretty sure someone like @shinyquagsire23 knows more about this than me, but it is the final thing I really really want in cfw

17. mesenkomaha

mesenkomaha Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2014
    United States
    Holding out hope that someone figures it out or at least takes the time to release the knowledge if it is known. I really don't want to spend the 15 bucks on a ds cart.