rayword45

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is another question thread.

Assuming the 3DS is hacked, would we be able to extract more info about DSi encryption keys and finally hack DSiWare? Simply looking for an explanation.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Probably not. The DSi was hacked via Sudokuhax and a couple other exploits and we were never able to get any kind of DSiWare backups at all. The same would be for the 3DS, I assume. However, we won't know until it gets hacked, which won't be for a while.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
We can speculate a lot of things, anybody who tells anything is speculating. We will know only its done.

And I really dont think that kind of hack will produce anything good (homebrew)

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Probably not. The DSi was hacked via Sudokuhax and a couple other exploits and we were never able to get any kind of DSiWare backups at all. The same would be for the 3DS, I assume. However, we won't know until it gets hacked, which won't be for a while.
That could be due largely to the low number of hackers working on the system. Those guys weren't pirates―with the exception of Team Cyclops, but they didn't care much anyway―so probably not much work would have been done towards loading pirated copies.

Side note: I'm a little bemused at how the word 'backup' is still used as a legality shield, even for digital products that allow you to freely back up and restore the data. Does anyone else think it sad that the word has become synonymous with 'pirate copy'?

Reactions: 1 person

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Assuming the 3DS is hacked, would we be able to extract more info about DSi encryption keys and finally hack DSiWare? Simply looking for an explanation.

We already know the encryption and decryption keys...
DSiWare are similar, when decrypted, to DSi ROMs. They aren't exact though.

rayword45

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I thought only the common keys were known.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I thought only the common keys were known.

Anyone who could have used the keys has already obtained them ages ago.
There was relatively low interest in the DSi, since (most) DSi carts could be played on a DS. The DSiWare library was 90-95% crap/shovelware. There wasn't a lot of interest in it, so most (not saying all) hackers didn't want to spend time on it.

And anyways if the 3DS gets hacked with a custom firmware then sure, it would be possible (if someone would code an installer) to play "backups" of DSiWare. Otherwise (if there is no custom firmware) you won't be able to pirate shovelware games, sorry.

But speculation on what will be possible after it is hacked doesn't help it get hacked...it's annoying to see speculation threads around here. "If I had wings, I could fly" doesn't make me have wings, so I'll end my message on that note.

AlanWeird

Trophies
XP
Country
I spent £10.80 on Shantae. It was a great game, but it was 2 hours long and ended up available on IOS devices for £3.

Nintendo deserve their eshop content hacked to all hell. Nothing on there is priced to move. :(

Supernova741

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Everything on the eshop is way overpriced, and I have yet to see the first dsiware/3DS ware game that's worth the price. 20 year or so old mario game => not worh €6!

servant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah this is a problem I've always had with Download only content.
The price never drops and it is always way overpriced.
As opposed to physical copies which tend to drop within months and have more content.

rayword45

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Different thread, but saying there's nothing worth the price is bullcrap.

Shovelware to good ratio is same as WiiWare, and they actually bothered with that it seems.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mchaggis One day my legit mario galaxy stopped working, never figured out why. So I at least have one actual backup, lol.

I think hacking eshop games is a whole other ball of wax, but may be possible eventually. A wad installer like on Wii would be baddass. Still though, while a lot ofthings are overpriced there are some great games as well, like Mutant Mudds.

rayword45

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are dumped DSiWare ROMs. I have some. They are kinda useless, but I want to test them on the ievo.

According to some people, they were dumped as .nds files, but cannot be played on flashcarts.

I'm curious, where did you find these? The only one I was able to find Shantae, and that was an ISO (somehow...)

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, they are .nds files but that is just the extension that they where given. i do not think they will run in ds mode, but they might run with one of the dsi exploits or an ievo.

also i can not say where i got them because it is against the forum rules.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, they are .nds files but that is just the extension that they where given. i do not think they will run in ds mode, but they might run with one of the dsi exploits or an ievo.

also i can not say where i got them because it is against the forum rules.
The dstwo can run in dsi mode too, right?

No.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs