Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you need any flashcarts visit DSCartShop
logo.jpg

DSi XL Mini Review

nintendo-dsi-xl-handson-2.jpg

You all must be knowing about Nintendo's latest add on to the DS Series of systems, the Nintendo DSi XL.Well its big, I picked up this bad boy in the first week of April and now after using it for 2 weeks, heres a mini review for all you Tempers.

Introduction:
When I first slid the giant box of the DSi XL out of that plastic bag emphasizing that "We buy used games!" I was amazed at the size of the box, bigger than any handheld box Ive ever seen
ohmy.gif
. After unboxing it, it had the same fat quick start guide as the DSi and they image on the cover was still a normal DSi, not a bug deal but just saying.Before I took the DSi XL out I saw an extra stylus, at first I was like meh... after holding it, I took it out and held it in my hand for a few seconds, it gave a great feeling to me and felt much more comfortable to hold than the regular stylus included. Then the big moment was here I slowly pulled the DSi XL out of the paper wrapping it and was amazed, it was so huge and looked so sexy in first person, well at least the bronze one did.After admiring the specs and all, I played a few games and found no pixelation at all in the screen. First Impressions were great
yaynds.gif

Hardware:
At first glance anybody would fall in love with the sexy gloss finish and attractive curved edges of the DSi XL, after opening the lid you are presented with two large and great looking screens.The buttons on the other hand disappointed me as I do not see any major change in them.The stylus included is almost the same as the normal DSi (Didn't have a DSi at the time so I could not compare).However the extra stylus included is a completely different story, it is broader and longer making it much more easier to handle and much more comfortable to hold.The insides and bottom of the DSi XL are matte, so the glossy surface on the top really leaves an impact on the user(A good impact XD ).Overall the hardware, looks sexy, is comfortable and is well built.After owning every single DS model till date this is easily my favorite.I wouldve liked it if they couldve maybe made the DSi Xl a bit fatter but given the stylus slot space for the extra stylus.
9.5/10

Colors:
The DSi XL is available in two different colors, which are both good.Bronze and Burgundy, Bronze is easily the better color of the two.Burgundy looks too pinkish to me.The DSi LL in japn has a White version too which is also descent.Overall at the moment there is a lack of colors and with all the news on the 3DS I dont think we will be seeing anything new soon.Although even if there were other colors I would still buy Bronze as I prefer my gadgets BLACK.
6/10

Software:
The pre-bundled software with the DSi XL is as follows:
  • Nintendo DSi Web Browser
  • Flipnote Studio
  • Photo Clock
  • Brain Age Express Maths
  • Brain Age Express Arts And Letters.
In my opinion I think they should have added the first 2 on the list since they are free and given users some free points instead.The brain age games dont suite lots of users and it would be better if users themselves could get free DSiWare of their choice with the DSi Xl.Dick move my ninty.Oh yeah and photo clock is kind of bullshit, its just a clock that cycles through pictures taken by the DSi camera
frown.gif

7/10

Sound:
The speakers on the DSi XL play sound much more loader and clearer, hell I even use it instead of my iPod sometimes.It has the same DSi Sound as the normal DSi but the new and improved speakers sure give DSi sound a big plus point in the DSi XL.
While playing a game the sound is also great and really adds to your overall experience of gameplay on the DSi XL!
10/10

Gameplay:

Come over here.. all the @$$s who were saying that I wont get one because it looks pixelated.Screw you, the DSi Xl offers a great gaming experience with the larger screen and in the 2 weeks Ive been using it with 70+ games on my flashcart I have yet to come across any pixelation.The screens look beautiful while playing and offer a great viewing angle for others too, each screen on the DSi XL is almost as big as the PSP's screen
wink.gif

10/10

Final Thoughts:
The DSi XL has changed the way I look at my DS now, I use it for movies, music, pictures now too and they all looks great.Ive become addicted to the largeness of the DSi Xl and whenever I try playing on any other DS now I cant survive after 5 mins. I really dont know how all of you are
tongue.gif

My Final Score:

9/10

If you need any flashcarts visit DSCartShop
logo.jpg

rockstar99

Hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
xcdjy said:
Does this thing have a glossy front like on the DS Lite (obviously without the two rounded rectangles)? It looks like it does in that shot, but I'm not sure.
Meh, I'm going to give the XL a miss. I only bought the DSi because where I got it from sold it pretty cheap and it was worth paying the extra money on top of the DS Lite price simply to be up-to-date. My opinion is still pretty much the same on the DSi. I don't use any of the 'gadgety' features. But the hardware revisions like the 'clicky' D-Pad, and hotswapping carts are pretty cool.
I may buy an XL one day when they're dirt cheap simply for the sake of collection.
Yup top is like the DS lite
wink.gif

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really don't support Nintendo's decision to ditch matte after the first couple colors of DSis, matte has a really nice clean feel to it.

Also, good review Rockstar. There's a couple spelling mistakes and you forgot to bold one of the XX/10's, but other than that it gave me a clear indication on how good the handheld was.

rockstar99

Hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DeltaBurnt said:
I really don't support Nintendo's decision to ditch matte after the first couple colors of DSis, matte has a really nice clean feel to it.

Also, good review Rockstar. There's a couple spelling mistakes and you forgot to bold one of the XX/10's, but other than that it gave me a clear indication on how good the handheld was.
Thanks Delta
biggrin.gif

I also found it to be a pretty dick move to ditch the DSi so soon, I think it would be great if both Dsi and DSi Xl were released on the same day.... but sadly Ninty wants all our $$$ so they didnt do it
frown.gif

On a side note I hope the 3DS has the same large screens as the DSi XL

D

Deleted_171835

Decent review. A few spelling and grammatical mistakes.
One question, though. How does the total score add up to 9/10. Shouldn't it be 8.5? Math-wise?

rockstar99

Hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SoulSnatcher said:
Decent review. A few spelling and grammatical mistakes.
One question, though. How does the total score add up to 9/10. Shouldn't it be 8.5? Math-wise?
It wasnt math wise, it was just the overall score of the DSi XL in my opinion
wink.gif

Bently

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
love that oxymoron. its like Big bang mini
smile.gif

Anyways, great review... if i had money I would definitely invest in a XL but i would wait
for better colors or at least shell replacements xD.

JoyConG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there is a way to get my dsiware to the DSi XL, I would consider one. I don't know if it works the same as the wii, though.

arjen20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys.
I am thinking of buying a new Ds lite console but i also want some good looking skins on it, So could anyone here please suggest me some websites providing Ds lite with nice skins?

Ds lite skins

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
nice to hear there is no pixilation on the XL.
pff. still 20 days till I give my mom the XL I bought for her.

tajio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do movies look okay on the XL? (I've ordered a DSTwo with 8gb for the sole purpose of watching anime, movies and tv series plus a few games
tongue.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F