DSI Right Button failure

furr3t

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my DSi has the common shoulder button failure, but I can't disassemble it as the battery cover screws are stripped, how do I fix it?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So my DSi has the common shoulder button failure, but I can't disassemble it as the battery cover screws are stripped, how do I fix it?
Should be pretty obvious: Remove the stripped screws.
None of those tricks to remove stripped screws (like superglue a screwdriver to the screw, rubber band and such) ever worked for me. In the worst case you will have to carefully drill off the screw heads and remove the back cover. After that pliers can be used in order to turn the remaining parts out (new screws obviously needed).

After that it is possible to clean the inner parts of the button – or – solder in a new button to the cable – or – replace the whole cable with SD reader and shoulder buttons.

Good luck and have fun!

furr3t

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of those tricks to remove stripped screws (like superglue a screwdriver to the screw, rubber band and such) ever worked for me. In the worst case you will have to carefully drill off the screw heads and remove the back cover. After that pliers can be used in order to turn the remaining parts out (new screws obviously needed).

After that it is possible to clean the inner parts of the button – or – solder in a new button to the cable – or – replace the whole cable with SD reader and shoulder buttons.

Good luck and have fun!
I then will have to buy either a new shell or battery cover, and I'm BROKE
Post automatically merged:

Once I have enough $$$, I'll buy a new shell and replace it. I bought my DSi used, so its not the best condition.
Post automatically merged:

Good luck and have fun!
None of those tricks worked for me, either. I also have shaky hands... Might just keep it as is, and get a new cover. I ripped the ribbon on my last DSi trying to fix the R button.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There's no way to fix it without removing the case.
If possible, drill the head of the stripped screws if it's very important/urgent for you to use the R Button.
Then, you should see a Micro-Switch soldered.

Unless I'm mistaken (never had a DSi in my hands) these Micro-Switches tends to break with heavy use/hard presses.
Chances are, your R Button Micro-Switch is loose/broken/desoldered.

Easiest fix is when it just needs a reflow of solder.
But if the piece is broken physically, then there's no fix other than replacing the button in it's entirety.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I then will have to buy either a new shell or battery cover, and I'm BROKE
Drilling off screw heads will cause no damage on the shell when done carefully.
Although some people declared success with electronics cleaner, contact spray or even WD40 – I wouldn't recommend it (and disassembly is needed anyway as you cannot / should not spray anything from the outside in… who knows where it flows, so don't. Please don't)

Unless I'm mistaken (never had a DSi in my hands) these Micro-Switches tends to break with heavy use/hard presses.
Chances are, your R Button Micro-Switch is loose/broken/desoldered.
In most cases it is corrosion inside the micro switch.
You can find excellent pictures here. Although this tutorial is for DS Lite, there is no difference. All DS have the same kind of buttons.
======

Cheapest replacement is obviously just the button/switch. Soldering it isn't easy. Tiny points. Easier (but more expensive) is the complete cable. A connector as easy to plug in as a connecting two pieces of Lego.

*Searches boxes*
Full spare part looks like this (assuming non-XL DSi model):
DSi_SD_Reader_Shoulder_Buttons_Cable.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol