DSi replacement card slot

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by hydrocilator, Feb 23, 2010.

Feb 23, 2010
  1. hydrocilator
    OP

Newcomer hydrocilator Member

Ireland
    Hi, my Dsi wont recognise my AK2i anymore, the card works fine in my DSlite. So I reckon my reader is scrap. I've seen them been replaced on the DS lite, is it the same on the DSi? Anyone changed one before?

Cheers

2. Tokiopop

Member Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

United Kingdom
    Have you tried using an official game in the DSi to make sure it is actually broken?

What exactly happens when the AK2i is in the DSi, does it give an error message or does it just never appear?

3. elmoreas

Member elmoreas GBAtemp Regular

United States
    As with the post above, see if you can get it to run an offical game card. If you can get it to run an offical card then it is likely the AK2i that is bad. If it is the actual card reader then see if your unit is still under warranty and trade it for a new one. If it is not under warranty then you will need a new reader, but I have not seen anything about replacing it like the DS Lite. That doesn't mean it cannot be done, I just haven't heard anything about it. Best of luck to you, hope it plays an offical card. Later.

Elmoreas

4. Tokiopop

United Kingdom
    It will be pretty much the same as the DSL, since the reader is seemingly identical and can be bought on sites like DX.

Just desolder the prongs, then anything else holding it down. Would take some soldering skill though, and I wouldn't be confident in doing it.

5. hydrocilator
    OP

Ireland
    It wont play anything I'm afraid the AK2i still works on everything else 100%

6. Tokiopop

United Kingdom
    If it plays nothing then the slot is either dirty or broken.

I'm assuming it's still under warranty, so just take it back to wherever you bought it from. They should replace it. If they don't, Nintendo should repair it for free.

If it's not in warranty, you may need to replace the slot yourself.

Good luck with getting a replacement/repair [​IMG]

7. omatic

Member omatic GBAtemp Fan

United States
    A simple trick that worked for me in the past is to put a little piece of paper in between the back of the cart (the side opposite the sticker) and the DS. It will force the pins together, which may get the cart you're using recognized.

8. hydrocilator
    OP

Ireland
    ordered a replacement part from DX + some flux and solder, wish me luck

9. petspaps

Member petspaps GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Good Luck

10. Tokiopop

United Kingdom
    I know it's a DSi, but watch a video of it being down on the DS Lite just so you're sure what you're desoldering and resoldering.

11. zhuzhuchina

Member zhuzhuchina GBAtemp Advanced Fan

China
    actually a solder is not enough, you need a good solder and good skill, basic skill is not enough because pins are very small for the slot 1 reader

12. lukands

Member lukands I took the little bus here

Estonia
    If your soldering skills are not good maybe its easier just find a cheap (broken) ds and change out the whole board?

13. Tokiopop

United Kingdom
    It's probably easier to solder than spend a large amount of money on a broken DSi that only has cosmetic damage, and no damage to the board.

14. lukands

Member lukands I took the little bus here

Estonia
    When your patient you can find a deal on everything all the time, every month I pick up 1-2 used/broken ds/dsi to use for parts for only around $20-40. Its amazing what people think are broken ends up to be a simple 2 minute fix.
    Further to that I never sell any of my "broken" consoles (wii, psp, etc.) you never now when a spare part will be needed!)